Forums > Social Discussion > Glowstringing, Fact or Fiction?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
Just curious, how do you guys view glowstringing?

couple questions to focus/start off the discussion:

Is glowstringing and poi one and the same or different? If it's different then how do you define glowstringing and seperate the two?

Do glowstringers have a unique set of moves outside of traditional poi moves?

Should the difference in each tool/medium (glowstring vs sock poi vs fire poi) be emphasized? Or should all of them be spun the same way?

How do you define/develop style and originality in poi? Should the same principles of style and originality be applied to glowstringing? Or can glowstringing have their own principles and methodologies?

Are there differences in cultural background and philosophy between poi and glowstringing?

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
I think glowsticking is in category (A)

Actually, in many ways it's not even in category (A) of spinning.

Here are the reasons:
In many ways, we don't even spin. We swing. Many times you rarely even get a full rotation. A glowstingers can go for many minutes without a single spin. Sure, it may look dumb, but it serves to illustrate the point.

Another reason:
What do you call it when glowstringers wrap and trace and then actually grab their glowstick and move it around their body without swinging it? Definately not swinging or spinning. More like those crazy yo-yo contortionist, or that Go-go girl from Kill-bill.

To Rev who says Glowsticking doesn't deserve its own category like rope-darts?
Why not? We got a pretty large community. In fact, in some ways, it might be bigger in community than some categories you read about in the encylopedia.

Some people say breakdancing isn't a dance. Well I think it is. I think poi is a dance too when someone wants it to be, although many breakdancers think all dancing with objects aren't dancing, it's just some stupid form of juggling and playing with objects of no-importance.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cynicdave1

. You can't do certain moves as well as regular poists can.

name one

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
actually dave I said it does deserve its own category... please read the post.. but even ropedart can be construed as poi.. there is a difference between poi and traditional poi.. and most cultures dont' make that distinction...

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
This is my last post here, thanks for listening. Like I said before I couldn't resist.

"I don't see glowsticking as being any different to poi and I don't see the big deal about defining them as different. "

Well, I guess some people are different. Some people LIKE knowing whether they are going to be watching an artion movie or a comedy. Some people like knowing they are eating rib-eye or eating sirloin. Some people like football a lot more than rugby.

To a book-snob, all movies are the same.

To a vegetarian, all meat's the same.

To people who don't follow sports, why do they have to play this on the television so much, i want my damn legal drama.

I hope that kind of illustrates the point and it's my regret i'm not very skilled apparently at articulating my point better.

Why do we get to differnetiate between poi and non-traditional poi but we don't get to differentiate stringing objects like rope-darts.. which obviously isn't poi, but a martial arts, and glowstringing? It's like the vegetarian who insists all meats the same but they repeat vegetables have a lot more variety.
EDITED_BY: Cynicdave1 (1112920714)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
dave.. I think what we are trying to express is that glowstringing is more than what you classify as glowstringing.. and gs.c promotes a particular type of glowstringing.. one that does not share as many roots with poi.. fair enough.. except that we are trying demonstrate that glowstringing is more than just that subset just as poi is more than just what is thought as tradtiional poi..

thanks for sharing your views.. I hope that you at least have come to understand some of ours..

edit: dave rope dart is poi in the generic sense.. not in the traditional sense.. you are taking an extreme and arguing for it.. I'm not saying glowstringing is traditional poi by anymeans.. but this is the assumption that is made when you hear that glowstringing is poi.. when all that is meant.. is that glowstringing uses poi..
EDITED_BY: Rev (1112920916)

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
Okay, I agree with you. Then the argument is reduced to linguistics and opinion. And you have yours and I have mine. I know yours, and you know mine. So I won't ever say it on this forum again, because i'm on a poi site who believes the way you say they do.

(drat, i broke my own promise)
EDITED_BY: Cynicdave1 (1112920868)

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
snappy?.....

how about I just say:

I don't care how you run your website as long as you

a) stop going on about poi.

or...

b) learn something about poi.

I soured the moment I spent 5 minutes reading your boards...

basically what NYC said about them.

Maybe what I read there often hurts so I get mad?

Jo.
EDITED_BY: Jo (1112934394)

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Dave, please stay and chat, so often I get threatened with banishment or a thread gets closed just after you got your words in.

Jo.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:

Cynicdave1 “We swing. Many times you rarely even get a full rotation.” Pendulums and three quarter circles are common in poi and clubs.

If as you say “many breakdancers think all dancing with objects aren't dancing, it's just some stupid form of juggling and playing with objects of no-importance.” Then they are denying their African dance roots.

“African dance moves all parts of the body, in contrast to many European forms that rely mostly on arm and leg movement. Angular bending of arms, legs and torso; shoulder and hip movement; scuffing, stamping, and hopping steps; asummetrical use of the body; and fluid movement are all part of African dance.

African ritual dance makes use of special objects, including masks and costumes. In this country, Afgrican Americans continued to use sticks or staffs, cloth, and other objects in dance. Handkerchiefs, canes, and top hats became part of the dance, as did other objects in stage routines.

Competing through dance is a widespread custom in West and Central Africa. In America, this tradition continued in "cutting" contests, challenge dances, Cakewalk contests, Break Dance rivalries, Jitterbug competitions, Step Dance shows, and other events.” from savoystyle dot com

wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stone

Assorted rambling’s wink

To answer your question Cole. …… if i spin clubs with a length of string attached, am i clubswinging, poi-ing or clubpoi-ing?

Clubswinging Cole, what else wink err any comments OWD?

Yes- you're wrong Stone smile ubbrollsmile smile

Clubs spun on the ends of string would basically be poi whose weights are clubs- the fact that they're on cords removes the necessity for the involved wrist techniques that are the essence of clubswinging (and the main factor that makes club swinging, IMO, different to poi).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: mixinluv2u

i think you missed couple key words. Glowstringing definately has poi roots, no one denies that. check out this article if you want better view on Glowsticking.com's stance - https://www.glowsticking.com/about.php

Nice article; well written and well worth a read for those following this thread.

I like the jazz and blues analogy.

Didn't like this-

"The main difference is the intention of the swinger himself-- when he is glowstringing (as a verb), he is a glowstringer.
"

Why not? It implies that the stringer is not female and reinforces a stereotype.

Most people wouldn't pick up on that, but some do; me for example. If I write an article it won't use 'he', but will have 'he or she' instead.

I've even, in the past, started a debate on HOP about why, IMO, using 'HE' in reference to God is wrong usage and a cause of harm historically.

I think it's important, in a way it's part of an 'agenda' for me.

It's obvious that, in this debate over whether glowstringing is just a style of poi, or a seperate entity, that's there's people with their own agendas.

Not necessarily anything wrong with that- some agendas are open and good, others not so good.

Often, and indeed in this thread, we see the poi=fire assumption. In other threads I've gone to great lengths to dispute and disprove that.

Again it's kind of an agenda, because I believe that equating poi with fire arts is missing out a lot, and also can create safety issues.

----------

I mention this because, in this thread, I see so much confusion.

We've got the question of whether glow technique is distinguished from poi technique; clouded by the fact that when some are denying this, they're actually referring to other aspects- maybe the difference between glow cultureand poi culture, or about the actual implements used in the two arts.

Mixing up those three different categories is adding to the confusion.

The 'agenda' aspect is even more subtle, and the cause of more confusion.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rev

. You can't do certain moves as well as regular poists can.

name one

*pokes head into the conversation*

I know I said that I was running away because I hate having to deal with this topic, but I just couldn't resist. Rev, full head isolations. When using glowsticks we can not do it as well as a person using poi. It is not imposible, but we can not do it as well. Any isolation in general is easier with poi, also inversions are easier with heavier weights.

And Col, as OneWheelDave said, yes in my mind spinning clubs on strings would be different. And yes when you did use glowsticks, you were glowsticking. You may have not known the name for it or what you were doing, but you were still glowsticking. For me it is not the moves that get the different name, because moves are interchangable from one medium to another, for me it is the object that you are spinning the calls for another name.

missegyptology: I'm gonna be a terrorist when I grow up anyway

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks Dave, I was wondering why you thought there was such a “big” difference b/t the props. There are obviously differences, but the moves are mostly the same.

Actually poi is all in the wrists. The only really involved wrist technique with clubs is for the snakes, and apparently people are doing snakes with poi now. Apart from the snakes, the wrist work is similar. Have you seen the Art of Poi instruction video with Diane Paulger? Sure you can get away with a lot more with poi, but good wrist work is important for anyone is striving for good clean lines and planes.

cheers

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
not as well does not imply it can't be done.. it implies you havent' practiced enough to master the skill..

please answer the question accurately or else the statement stands as untrue.. the tool does nothing.. anything CAN be done with any medium.. I'm personally sick of people's lack of skill used in implying that there is something that glowsticks can't do or something that glowsticks can do only..

glowstringing is about the medium alone... I have already talked with dave.. and it is agreed that he promotes a subsect of glowstringing that has little to do with poi (meaning they restrict as much as possible apart form the use of poi in their 'art').. glowstringing however is outside this scope.. whihc is something they do not wish on their site, and has yielded this debate..

edit: I would think that if he wishes to keep to a like minded culture (whihc he expresses a lot) then perhaps he should make this point more clear on his site.. but I'm just a [censored]-starter apparently.. I mean.. that would only keep this argument from being an arugment no?
EDITED_BY: Rev (1112924361)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

I think glowsticking is in category (A)

Actually, in many ways it's not even in category (A) of spinning.

A?! Anybody who spins ANYTHING is in one group and by some miracle the glowstick community is the one group to be totally independant?!

You're gonna lump me in with the contact staff spinners, single and double staff spinners, club spinners, and plate spinners?

You're asking for respect and autonomy and you won't even take the time to see the diference from a poi and a STAFF spinner?!

I mean, I'll agree to disagree but it's going to be very difficult for me to believe that what I do is closer to STAFF spinning than glowsticking.

It's actually a little bit offensive that you won't take the time to see the differences between staff spinning and sock poi and Maori poi. [Don't get me wrong, my best girlie is a staffer so you know I've got love for the stick...]

You can't have it both ways. Either respect the fact that I feel that there is a difference between me and a staff spinner and a Maori poi spinner, or don't ask for the same respect yourself.

If you guys want respect that glowsticking is an independant art form, I GAVE it to you from day 1. And you guys couldn't even offer me the same respect in return.

I guess that's why when I hung out in your chat room shootin' the breeze with Kael one of your other members hit me with a "F#ck Home Of Poi". I originally took that as an isolated incident and shrugged it off but I'm not so sure that the poi hate isn't wider spread than that.

As I stated when I first came in the door of GS.C, there is absolutely no widespread glowstick hate in any firespinning community that I've EVER been to. Coleman and OneWheelDave and the rest of the gang are some of the most decent folks in the planet and I'm actually a bit defensive of my friends opening up and stating their feelings about glowsticking when I feel like there's a chance the GS.C crowd will use it as further fuel for the antipoi sentiment.

I would very much like to resolve this.

I would very much like to be able to hang out on GS.C with some amazingly decent people and watch some of the best videos on the internet.

I would very much like the same respect that the administration of GS.C asks their members: To respect the differences between each of the disciplines. I STILL respect glowsticking as independant of what I do. I'd hope you'd respect that what I do is independant of what OWDave does (Staff). And what the traditional Maori people do (Traditional Poi).

I hope we can work this out. I'm looking forward to the GS.C East Coast Meetup on the 30th. In fact, I helped as much as I could to scout out locations and plan it. I'm looking forward to learning more about the glowstick community.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
Okay, I'll be more clear with isolations.

I can buzzsaw isolation (insert any number of beats here) cleanly with sock or fire poi. I can literally go on as long as I want, and that is not hard for me, it has almost come to the point where it is easy.

I can not do that with glowsticks. I can get close, but it is harder. It is not impossible, I never said that it was impossible, I am simply saying that certain moves are easier with poi than with glowsticks. I am saying, yes it is transferable to any medium, I'm not disagreeing with that, I am saying that certain moves are more difficult to transfer from one medium to another.

If you want another example, I'll use your favorite rope dart with a glowsticking move, tracing. Think about doing a neck trace with a rope dart, it certainly is not impossible, but would it be harder to do... most certainly yes. I think most people would not enjoy the idea of a sharp blade going around their neck. I can also transfer that over to fire poi, neck traces with fire poi are not impossible, I have seen videos of people that do them, however it is harder to produce the results that you are looking for simply because of the danger aspect which is a result of the properties of what you are spinning.

You ask for more acuracy, I tried my best for acuracy, but I do not know what you are looking for, so would you please tell me? That way I won't just have to guess.

[edit]

Everything said above is a completly different argument than what this thread is about. This thread is about naming, that entire post was about if moves are transferable from one medium from another.

For the sake of this thread, yes Rev, I agree with you when you said, "glowstringing is about the medium alone" yes it is the medium that deserves the name, it doesn't matter what moves we are doing, it does matter what we are using. Or at least in my little world that's the way it runs. If we want to discuss if you can transfer with 100% acuracy, that would take a completly different thread.
EDITED_BY: Adrillf (1112926508)

missegyptology: I'm gonna be a terrorist when I grow up anyway

MissEgyptologyBRONZE Member
officially expelled from BYU
195 posts

Posted:
NYC, incidentally, said kid who was all "fsck HOP!" that night came to me yesterday and said something to the effect of "Hey, MissE, I checked ouot that Homeofpoi thing, and I was wrong." I kid you not! He changed his mind!

So, there is hope for those of that mentality. We all just have to open our minds a bit, and stop worrying about putting everything into a box.

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

Thanks, NYC,but I quit mormonism now XD

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
*comes back in from a relaxing practice session.

I was going to say something but I'm going to scratch it, because it'll be a bunch of explainations and excuses instead of answering the issue at hand, and in the end no one will be any happier.

-Glowstringing is what you make of it. -Poi is what you make of it. -Dancing is what you make of it. -Life is whatever you want it to be.

When you see pass all the labels and transcend into a new reality and see things as they are, you'll see that talking about it is pointless.

And things just are.

Shine on,

~Kael

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Dont mind me...

Carry on.

smile

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
Ok Fine, I'll give some responses:

OneWheelDave:
Sorry for being sexist. In my writing glass i was taught that "he" is the most common default gender, but I can see how in our new age, we should change it, and I will.

NYC:
I'm sorry you took my arguments to be anti-anything. I really do have respect for everyone and everything they do. When I say "spinning" I meant spinning with strings-- that's what I thought it meant. Sorry for the confusion.

I guess I should explain my terms. spinning = stringing in circles

swinging = stringing but who knows where it goes, maybe you'll just do pendulums.

thanks for educating me on how a lot of stringing can entail not going in full revolutions.

I take the statement back about not being category (A). It's fully in category A. I do NOT think it's in C or D. And if they are, hopefully it'll progress enough to have it's own unique elements. I don't know about you, but I kind of like to listen to different music every now and then. That's how I see it. Different styles of music. Some people do good things in between labels, and that's a very noble goal, but difficult and very difficlt to ever find. Far more common are those that further a specific genre. "Jazz Greats", "Rap Masters", "Classical Music Genius", "Rock Star"

At the same time, NYC, I think being a hip-hop fan and arguing how hip-hop isn't just a form of hard disco doesn't make me a disco hater. So you should at least give me that. In anything official I ever write, I never say, "Poi" is better than glowstringing. Sometimes, I say, "I think glowstringing uses some concepts which make use of glowsticks to better suit its style than would poi", or I say, "I think glowstringing because of it's culture, is sometimes more preferble when there is a large crowd on the dance floor"
--------------------

I really enjoyed onewheeldave's point about fire swinging and poi. That's how I see it as well!

Obviously rev makes the differentiation between traditional poi and modern poi, calling rope-darts, fire-spinning, and glowstringing forms of "modern" poi. That's where the brunt of our disagreement is.

-----------------

to stone:
I think a lot of people will be angry with you if they hear breakdancing is about being african american. that's very untrue. people of african descent played a large role but was certainly not the majority.

today, it's all ethnicities.

they aren't denying their african roots, they are denying open-mindedness.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Dave, is it possible we're talkin' the same kind of music, but style varients -within- the type of music?

(ie glowstringing is a (D) )

eg. 'Dance music' has over 50 sub-genres, but it's still dance music (re: spinning)

DnB is 1 subgenre (re:poi) I know well and it has at least 10 further sub-sub-genres (re: poi 'styles' including gs)

Jo.

ps. another link I found:

https://www.glowsticking.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5004

EDITED_BY: Jo (1112934170)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Rev I agree with the tool/prop does nothing. But I’m not sure I agree with this separatist policy. Perhaps I’m missing something, because I sensed a similar attitude at LPC. So if exclusion is the intention then GS.C are quite entitled to be insular and parochial.

But no one owns poi or the art, and anyone can buy glow sticks (well still in Oz, not sure about the US wink) I mean it’s almost too much, to suddenly find out that I ‘m not really a glowsticker, even though I was stringing glowstix before I ever found HOP wink

PLUR ?

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Banned.

That really is a shame Dave - on you.

Do you know, there is no other website like yours....

I mean, even PMs (ie PRIVATE!) get read by you then twisted for public presentation if you choose....

and $60 to find out what is said in the 'secret forum'... I'm almost tempted...

Jo. hug
EDITED_BY: Jo (1112935090)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Cynicdave1 did I say breakdancing was about being african american? I was just pointing out it's DANCE roots and that people of african descent played a large role, and were the instigators back in the 70s, as they were with popping, top rocking etc. viz:

“Kool DJ Herc, originally from Jamaica, is credited with extending tbreaks by using two turntables, a mixer and two of the same records. As DJs could re-cue these beats from one turntable to the other, finally, the dancers were able to enjoy more than just a few seconds of a break! Kool Herc also coined the terms "b-boy" and "b-girl" which stood for "break boys" and "break girls."

Some of the earliest dancing by b-boy pioneers was done upright, a form which became known as "top rockin'." The structure and form of top rockin' has infused dance forms and influences from Brooklyn uprocking, tap, lindi hop, James Brown's "good foot," salsa, Afro-Cuban and various African and Native American dances. There's even a top rock Charleston step called the "Charlie Rock"! Early influences on b-boying/girling also included martial arts films from the 1970s. Certain moves and styles developed from this inspiration” the net ?

What ever happend to “shutupyourfaceanddance dot com or whatever. They really knew how to dance there; liquid, popping and all, unless me memory is going wink

wink

EDITED_BY: Stone (1112935523)

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
it was shaddupanddance.com and it was briefly popular until the owner of the site ran out of money to support it. it's expensive running these type of websites.

stone: i misread, i took this quote: "If as you say “many breakdancers think all dancing with objects aren't dancing, it's just some stupid form of juggling and playing with objects of no-importance.” Then they are denying their African dance roots. "

and thought you meant, whoever was breakdancing was of african heritage. obviously not true. but i also disagree that any kind of dancing is inherently one "race" or another except explicitly ethnic cultural dances such as maori poi. in today's world, most of the bigs are of every color. that's just what i wanted to say.

Jo. it's 20 bucks, and mostly it's just videos people willingly keep to the supporter videos until a certain period of time. like a month. also, for 20 bucks, you can download as much as you want, as much as you want. The video archive is over 3 gigs big, and has dance videos of all types, even popping videos of people Elsewhere dances with, such as Skywalker. I'm very interested in popping, because I consider myself a funkstylist as well. For 20 bucks for a whole year to download 3 gigs worth of stuff as well as discounts and first dibs on any new video, i think it's quite fair. the people who donate 40 or 60... they are doing it out of their own will. you don't gain any more benefits by donating 40 or 60.

The reason why is that I'm one guy, and I rely on donations, my own earnings, and measily advertisement money in order to keep the site up. Also, because I'm one guy doing all of the coding, graphics, design, and official writings for the last 3 years, I feel completely justified to let in whoever i please, and I feel completely justified in banning people who talk down to me, make fun of me, or ridicule me, or my work. Would you let someone like that into your home? I think not. While you may say to other people, Hey, when i go to the site, it makes my eyes bleed, I read that, and I thought i'd just do you a favor.

Also, I don't read PM's. But on every message board people can look through the SQL database and read everything that was ever said at any time. I have the capability to sort through all of that if I wished. but it's not something i'd waste time with. besides, why would i need to do that, when i pretty much know what's being said? it's not like i don't go around reading stuff on the boards here and in other places and it's not like people don't let me know what's going on at all times.
EDITED_BY: Cynicdave1 (1112941930)

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
oh. the only time i ever read through PM's was when there was someone trying to sell illegal contraband through the web site. a site operator would be FOOLHARDY to not do that.

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
Oh, another thing that came into my mind.

Glowsticking is a dance. Dancing with glowsticks

Glowstringing is glowsticking. Dancing with glowsticks with strings attached.

That's what I believe.

And a real question: Do you guys consider poi instrisically about dance? Or is it more along the veins of juggling?

Because that's another aspect I forgot to mention about glowstringing. it's dancing (in our opinion)

I am NOT (and i get misterpreted on this point by very angry people) saying you can't dance with Poi. I've seen very good poi dancers doing their thing in a very cool and artistic way. But my point is that it's not automatically dancing. Glowstringing is in my opinion, at least that's how I am presenting it on my own site.

Kind of like the neutral word "twirl", that's what poi is.

Glowstringing explicitly (in my opinion), means it's dancing.
EDITED_BY: Cynicdave1 (1112943278)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thought I should visit my neighbours site in return for their visits here, and check out sum of this ultra modern glowsticking “style” you guys been on about. Reception was a bit could though, and now I’m waiting for a glowstix video to download from HOP, as none were obviously available at GS.C.

I’m a bit mystified by the GS.C. mandate posted here as a link. I really don’t see how “glowsticking” implies dance and more than poi or fire chains does, especially as Maori poi is synonymous with dance. Nor do I see how being associated with the American candy rave scene is a guarantee of a good dancer wink Yet apparently yoyoing is dancing? I thought ravergirl had some good basic dance tips.

Finally get to see famous new glowstick style. Dunno what all the fuss is about. Some great moves, with style, showing lots of practice. But is it dancing? Look more like tricking to me, yoyo style. Which would put it in the juggling category. Apologies if I’ve been hasty, but no other downloads were available. Will check later.

cheers

Oh, you guys might think glowstringing explicitly means it's dancing, but hey don't tell that to a dancer wink Wanting is one thing doing is another. We debate this one all the time here, and there are some good dance thereads at HOP.

And there are at leat 40 countries in Africa.
EDITED_BY: Stone (1112944873)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
erm, i need to read all the new posts here but i thought with respect to cynic dave and wes' assertions that the change in encompassing culture necessitates boundaries in style and to go as far even as a change in the name of the art, [Old link].

that discussion includes opinions from maori, kiwi, australian, british and american swingers and if wes is serious about why he started this thread, it should address a lot of the points that he was looking for opinions on.

dom's post adresses the 'origin' questions that stone posed a few pages back.

it helped me form the opinion that i have today on the state of the art.

which (as predicted) is almost identical to nyc's view smile

===========================

first edit: to be completely taken aback by adrillf's answer to my question.

i asked for a clear definition of what i was doing when i span glowsticks 3 years ago at a club, and he says that i was not using glowsticks as poi but rather 'glowsticking without knowing it'.

which means the whole matter of definition comes down to 'if you do anything at all with glowsticks, you are glowsticking: if you swing poi moves, its glowsticking, if you do liquid, its glowsticking, if you go take a piss and hold them in your other hand to help you aim, its glowsticking'.

i'm astonished.

second edit: to cynic dave - it seems you don't see the importance of the broadness of each of the categorisations that jo puts forward.

you use the example of music and its varioius genres.

check this - jo's categories for music instead of spinning arts:

a) a catagory like 'music'

b) a catagory like 'guitar music'

c) a catagory like 'blues guitar'

d) a catagory like 'bluegrass blues'

you assert that gs should be in category a: that says "comparing glowsticking to poi is equivalent to comparing rock music to classical music".

sticking it in category c says "comparing glowsticking to poi is like comparing blues guitar to jazz guitar".

putting it in category d says "comparing glowsticking to poi is like comparing delta blues to piedmont blues".

the glowsticking community's apparent desire to sub-define the art and then raise a particular sub-definition up to the previous level is what grates with me and many others.

it would be like hokum blues artists claiming that they are not blues and deserved to be considered apart from all other blues styles because their style uses humour and double-entendres which until it came about, had not been used in blues before.

why should a difference in the tool used demand a large differentiation?

you don't see a violinist assert that violin concertos are apart from classical music but then claim that unlike them, piano concertos still belong in the wider classical category - though they are undeniably different genres, they are still both classical music, and at a higher level, music in general.

an on-topic question for cynic dave and adrillf here: most often, i swing led-lit juggling balls tied to shoelaces and i do it while listening to dance music in clubs - what is that called exactly?

some interesting cross-reading regarding genres: https://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=4310

That's what I believe.

And a real question: Do you guys consider poi instrisically about dance? Or is it more along the veins of juggling?

i asked that question back on the first page rolleyes

i agree with what owd says below.

cole. x
EDITED_BY: coleman (1112957521)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

That's what I believe.

We have a broad general split between 'technical' and 'dance'.

I suspect however that our use of the term 'dance' differs greatly to yours.

Again generalising, but 'technical' would tend to involve little body movement/footwork- it would be essentially 'poi juggling' in a static position with difficult moves.

'Dance' would usually involve move basic moves done with lots of large scale body movement, interesting footwork and individual style.

If the glowstringing videos I've seen are representative of 'dance', then I would recomend that we do some work on defining our terms, and understanding what HOP-ers mean by dance; cos I do think they are different, and any discussion commencing from misunderstood terms will be confused.

ie, glowstring 'dance' has many characteristics in common with the opposite of HOP 'dance' (largely static body position, in one place, no movement etc).

In the same way, HOP 'dance', break'dance' etc, are not the same as ballroom 'dance' (which requires a partner).

'Dance' is one of those terms that mean many, and often contradicting, things.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Page: ...