Forums > Social Discussion > Glowstringing, Fact or Fiction?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
Just curious, how do you guys view glowstringing?

couple questions to focus/start off the discussion:

Is glowstringing and poi one and the same or different? If it's different then how do you define glowstringing and seperate the two?

Do glowstringers have a unique set of moves outside of traditional poi moves?

Should the difference in each tool/medium (glowstring vs sock poi vs fire poi) be emphasized? Or should all of them be spun the same way?

How do you define/develop style and originality in poi? Should the same principles of style and originality be applied to glowstringing? Or can glowstringing have their own principles and methodologies?

Are there differences in cultural background and philosophy between poi and glowstringing?

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
re: egyptology's 'I wouldn't exactly call that QED, quiet. One, not all glowstickers liten to the same music and I'm sure not all the poists do either. To stereotype and divide us by the sorts of music that some people listen to is not really resolving anything

and stone's comment . . .

perhaps a capacity for irony is the distinguishing feature of being british?

or, to be more explicit: I was either a) not being serious or b) actually not trying to resolve anything, or possibly even c) both

and igloos can also be built from ice

in fact, i think the distinguishing feature of an igloo is it's shape, not its construction materials. steel igloo, anyone?

e

ture na sig

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Im sure you could build an igloo out of slush.
For the same reason you can make snowballs out of slush I suppose.

It would be a bit wetter, but it would still compact im fairly sure.

SHould we ask people on HOP who live in colder climates to see if they can make an igloo out of slush?

(Topic anyone? wink )

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
^^you really think that near liquid mess on the road (slush) could make an igloo? I'd be a really really flat igloo but i guess if you wanted to say you made a new style of igloo then who's gonna stop you right?

It's nice to see the conversation degrade into a discussion on making igloos out of slush.

God i love you guys hug

We are defined by the choices we make

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unfortunatly Can Obtain Fruit

Im sure you could build an igloo out of slush.

It's much easier to make slush out of an igloo smile

Written by: Unfortunatly Can Obtain Fruit

(Topic anyone? wink )

thanks, but no. I'm trying to give up

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
If you compact it enough you might be able to?

confused

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you can't build an igloo out of slush i'm afraid youcough - one of the things that defines slush is that there is no bonding between the grains.

even if you could get it to bind, the 'gaps' between the crystals in slush are filled with water, not air which would make it a far worse insulator than other types of snow.

makes it very dangerous for avalanches on south facing slopes >15 degrees don't ya know - i did basic mountain safety training when i lived in france, never thought i'd use it once i moved back to the uk though! smile
whilst it didn't teach me how to build an igloo, it did teach me about different types of snow and the formation of layers on slopes.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
it's EASY to make an igloo out of slush. here's how

spread one layer of slush to make the base of the igloo. this may be only 2cm thick. then wait for it to freeze solid

then repeat until igloo is finished

ALTERNATIVELY: take flexible steel tins, about 2ft by 1ft by 2ft, and fill with slush; then either leave them out overnight or stick them in the freezer [cheating]

'nuff said

ture na sig

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
had a quick look around the intermanet to check my slush information ( i was right by the way but it turns out it is very tricky to distinguish 'wet snow' from 'slush').

but, look what i found... tongue

snow words.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Fair enough.
I was wong. smile

Nice snow Cole. wink

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i liked this bit best:

"One often hears the old tale about how the culture that we exist in closes us off from much of the world around us. This assertion is usually illustrated by the chestnut about the Innuit having so many different words for "snow", implying that they have a greater understanding and sensitivity toward snow than non-Innuit because they have so many more ways to talk about it. This is kind of crazy, because surely the Innuit are more sensitive to snow because they live in snow all the time! Anyone else living there would have an equal appreciation for the subtleties of snow even if they didn't speak Innu or know anything of the Innuit culture."

which kind of allows us to examine why the innuit snow anaolgy was brought into this thread in the first place (any comments dave?).

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

had a quick look around the intermanet to check my slush information ( i was right by the way but it turns out it is very tricky to distinguish 'wet snow' from 'slush').

but, look what i found... tongue

snow words.

cole. x

Bookmarked for the next time this comes up in a thread somewhere online! Thanks! ubblol

"Moo," said the happy cow.

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
SO we've got more words for snow than the inuit?

crazy

the 'inuit having 200 words for snow' myth is, well, a myth. but i suppose you knew that anyway.

ture na sig

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
We once made an igloo in Sheffield. The snow wasn't right so we made huge snow balls (the kind you use for snowmen) and made our bricks from them. A couple of candles kept us warm - ahhh, found camping memories - some censored contractors have built a souless housing estate on our former camping spot.

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
my mum used to make me igloos in our garden in London (I can't think how there was enough snow)
they had a little round ice window and an extra hump when my friend came over and wanted to play too smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think you could make an igloo out of slush if you just made it really quickly. wink

I mean, they make windows out of glass don't they? Slush is just a little less viscous.

smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
ablation - the process of being removed. Snow ablation usually refers to removal by melting

blizzard - winds of at least 35 miles per hour along with considerable falling and/or blowing snow reducing visibility to less than one-quarter mile for a period of at least three hours.

crystal - regular arrangement of water molecules with long-range order

freeze - the process of solidification of water

red snow - blooms of chlamydomonas nivallus in glacial suncups during the summer

snow depth - the combined total depth of both old and new snow on the ground

whiteout - daylight diffused through low, white clouds such that the snow and the sky are indistinguishable. No sense of direction is possible

======================

First of all; has anyone read the list?

Above are a few I pulled out on a very quick skim, through- none of them refer to 'snow'. They refer to processes, flowers growing in snow and visual conditions that occur when snow is around; but they are not words for 'snow'.

Secondly, even if it's true that there are more English words for snow that inuit, a quick reflection on the relative proportions of English speakers and Inuit speakers would surely lead us to question its relevance?

and, concerrning-

"One often hears the old tale about how the culture that we exist in closes us off from much of the world around us. This assertion is usually illustrated by the chestnut about the Innuit having so many different words for "snow", implying that they have a greater understanding and sensitivity toward snow than non-Innuit because they have so many more ways to talk about it. This is kind of crazy, because surely the Innuit are more sensitive to snow because they live in snow all the time! Anyone else living there would have an equal appreciation for the subtleties of snow even if they didn't speak Innu or know anything of the Innuit culture. In fact, it might also be crazy because it might not be true. Let's take a look at the various words that the Innuit use for snow and compare them to English words."

Of course! No one with half a brain is going to think that the Innuit have a greater appreciation of snow types because they have more words for it!

Of course the fact that they live in the stuff is the reason both for their greater 'sense of snow', and the number of words they have to describe it.

For eskimos, snow is omni-present, they build shelters out of it, melt the stuff to drink, track animals in it- their understanding of snow is vital to their survival.

And that is why it's going to take a lot more than a link to a shoddily worded critique on the internet, to convince me that we in the west, most of whom see a light smattering of snow once a year, have more words to describe it ('snow' that is, not processes, sludge, 'white-outs' etc, but 'snow'), than an eskimo.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
--- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

oh no: I mean:

The story about Inuit (or Inuktitut, or Yup'ik, or more generally, Eskimo) words for snow is completely wrong. People say that speakers of these languages have 23, or 42, or 50, or 100 words for snow --- the numbers often seem to have been picked at random. The spread of the myth was tracked in a paper by Laura Martin (American Anthropologist 88 (1986), 418-423), and publicized more widely by a later humorous embroidering of the theme by G. K. Pullum (reprinted as chapter 19 of his 1991 book of essays The Great Eskimo Vocabulary Hoax). But the Eskimoan language group uses an extraordinary system of multiple, recursively addable derivational suffixes for word formation called postbases. The list of snow-referring roots to stick them on isn't that long: qani- for a snowflake, api- for snow considered as stuff lying on the ground and covering things up, a root meaning "slush", a root meaning "blizzard", a root meaning "drift", and a few others -- very roughly the same number of roots as in English. Nonetheless, the number of distinct words you can derive from them is not 50, or 150, or 1500, or a million, but simply unbounded. Only stamina sets a limit.

That does not mean there are huge numbers of unrelated basic terms for huge numbers of finely differentiated snow types. It means that the notion of fixing a number of snow words, or even a definition of what a word for snow would be, is meaningless for these languages. You could write down not just thousands but millions of words built from roots that refer to snow if you had the time. But they would all be derivatives of a fairly small number of roots. And you could write down just as many derivatives of any other root: fish, or coffee, or excrement.

from https://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000405.html

and anyway, english has more words than anybody else!

What is this not on topic?

on glowstick and poi, well, I like how freehand relates to double staff! Far more fun...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
so freehand glowstick is a sub section of double staff then?

smile

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
hell no, but it makes for an interesting space of new ideas... Hmmmm manipulation... wink

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
yeah if you had detachable glow stick ends you could take them off while noone was looking and hide them

mmm illusions

Love is the law.

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Wes is extremely diplomatic and extremely respectful BUT this thread was started as a direct result of hostility at GSC. I guess I was unhappy that it was introduced here with smiles and hugs the day after I was told "F#ck home of Poi" by another member.

please check back to the first couple post of mine of THIS thread. this thread is not a result of hostility at GSC. this thread is for me to understand more poi-ers point of view.

i did not even intend for a discussion/debate, i simply asked what everyone's opinion is here... i would've taken their answer one way or another and left it at that.

read back carefully to see where hostility and/or debate origined here IN THIS THREAD before you start pointing fingers please.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
offtopic

no wait..

Thats not right...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: mixinluv2u

read back carefully to see where hostility and/or debate origined here IN THIS THREAD before you start pointing fingers please.

AHHH! I could not compliment you more without kissing you on the lips! And my girlie would get very jealous if I did, so there won't be any of that... plus you're not my type.

I've never actually said your name or described what you've done without saying a compliment. I never accused you of hostility.

I think you're one of the best personalities at GSC and have always been a decent and respectful guy.

The ONLY thing that I raised an eyebrow at was the timing of this thread ESPECIALLY in the context of what was going on at GSC at the time.

Written by:

i did not even intend for a discussion/debate

You started this thread in the social DISCUSSION section, which clearly states is intended "For involved topics and debate."

As much as I love ya, I can't believe you started a thread in the "Social Discussion: For involved topics and debate" and did "not intend for discussion/debate".

SO, in conclusion:

1) I do not believe that Wes brought any hostility on this thread.

2) I do believe that Wes started a discussion/debate by starting a thread in the clearly labled discussion/debate section.

3) I did believe that the discussion/debate was started as a direct result of the blowup of antifirespinning sentiment at GSC. I don't think it was maniacal, but I did think the timing was questionable. I WILL ADMIT TO BEING WRONG ON THIS ONE if people tell me differently. It just seemed a little wierd that there was so much hostility there and yet here the topic was breached with roses and smiles.

4) I do not believe that any of the GSCers started or propetuated any animosity/hostilty/bad feelings on this thread.

I'm usually pretty clear when I'm pointing fingers at people. If it was you, you'd know. wink
EDITED_BY: NYC (1113417918)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
also keep in mind the actions of certain poi-ers (presenting views in condescending tone, disrespectful of differences in perspective, culture, community, etc) which LEADS to the consequences of hostility AFTER SEVERAL WARNINGS. you can see examples of snide remarks even here in this thread.

just because we are welcoming and open-minded does not mean we should let people walk all over us. just because we disagree doesn't mean we disrespect.

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

You started this thread in the social DISCUSSION section, which clearly states is intended "For involved topics and debate."

As much as I love ya, I can't believe you started a thread in the "Social Discussion: For involved topics and debate" and did "not intend for discussion/debate".

uh.. if there's a "interview/survey poi-ers" section i would've posted it there. but there isnt, so i had to post this thread in the closest possible section, all while specify my intentions WITHIN the thread.

again, please read back on page one if you are confused. you can check how i was trying to get a clear picture of how people think here.

i even clearly discouraged people that had involvement in "previous debate" to avoid making reference... but some people never listen. i have read and participated in discussion here on HoP before, and i was under the impression that whoever started the thread is the leader of his thread... and participatants should try to comply to the direction of where the leader wants his thread to go. but i guess some people are just disrespectful anywhere on the internet.
EDITED_BY: mixinluv2u (1113418383)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: mixinluv2u

couple questions to focus/start off the discussion:

YOUR words in your first post.

Written by:

i did not even intend for a discussion

YOUR words on page 16.

Gimme a break dude.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
my bad. that's my fault. i meant that i intended for a discussion, but not a debate. as in, i just want to hear poi-ers opinions or you guys discuss amongst yourself without having me or dave presenting Glowsticking.com's view (unless asked).

but that was ruined once some people start referrencing previous debate and taking quotes out of context. we were left with no choice but to explain ourselves clearer.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Whew! Thought you were getting schizophrenic on me there.

I certainly understand what you guys are talking about and I respect where you're coming from.

I guess I would have apreciated more context in the initial post at least acknowledging that this was a hot topic at GSC.

Also, and this is a very different note. I'm not used to the site's administration playing such an active role in philosophy. As you can see from these 15 pages, we haven't had a mod/admin say peep. (Or did Josh chime in once on something forgettable?) And when they do, they usually do something silly like "Removes Mod Hat" so that we members don't feel like it's HoP speaking to us.

I'm sure it's something I'll get used to.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I chimed in, it was obviously something forgettable tongue

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I meant it as a joke obviously. hug

But seriously, since you changed your name, I've had trouble keeping track of what the heck you've said and where the heck you said it.

And I've done the "Who's the new Mod?!" double take at least 10 times.

Which one are you again?

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: ...