HardHouseLadyBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
decided to have flick through to help me with some moves to help on spme bits i couldnt get, i think its made it harder !! ubbrollsmile ubblol

I am learning poi, not the quickest leaner but learnt a few things and hope to get better x

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i found when i read the online lessons that i just remembered bits and pieces of each lesson then did what felt natural to do the move :P. Try just taking what they say then watch a few vids so you know what it should look like and try to do it yourself :P. failing that try and get to a meet - there are a fair few and if you click on "meet others" you should be able to find some people in your area who will be able to help smile

back

HardHouseLadyBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
yea i got mates who can do it, who teach me just though have a go on me own, think might have a look at some videos / dvds too bounce2 bounce

I am learning poi, not the quickest leaner but learnt a few things and hope to get better x

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
the book was hard. I found that I had no memory! I'd read the move then go and try it to find that I dould'nt remember it! Bugger. ubbidea

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
is this the Poi spinning book by Michael Kahn, or another one?

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
*Has the prob of having to wear glasses when reading but can't poi in them*
i have a poi bookand it is harder to learn stuff but when there are hardlley any spinners to teach you you have to do it from some where...... although i am nearly finished it now so chuff knows what i am going to do after

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
the one by Michael Hanz

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I got that book for Christmas with my poi... I read about the moved heaps, but when I tried to do them I couldnt... I was able to teach my cousin as I knew it in theory, however, I just couldnt do the moves myself...
so, I am currently in the search of trying to find a teacher...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi HardHouse

Michal’s book has a lot of information. And I think I would find it a bit overwhelming at first, if I was starting again. Try browsing and reading the interesting bits, or looking at the cool illustrations. The illustrations have a lot of detail, and hand positions for grips and such are accurate.

Otherwise the HOP Art of Poi video is a great way to learn poi. Perhaps not as detailed as the book, but I think Diane’s techniques really prepare people for advanced stuff.

Get to a local meet up if possible, someone will show you the ropes.

Hanz, can you try and get to Melbourne for either of the two Wed or one Sunday night meet-up’s? Fireworks Dance Company has [Old link] but also in Melb, could be on weekends.

Check Melb threads in Events, Performance and Gatherings

cheers smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I know about the Melb meetups, but being 16 and having to rely on parents for transport... well, I wont be able to get there for about another year and a half... unless there is someone who lives here who wants to get to know my parents well enough for my parents to trust them and to then drive me down... but I know thats not gonna happen, lol

TKOFmember
44 posts

Posted:
i find when tryin to learn a move form a book (spining or juggling) is to try and imagen what each part of the move feels like and get a clear mental picture in my head of what it is im tryin to do, read it about 3/4 times and give it a go.

the end is nigh and now comence the time of the retarded badger

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
when I was reading it I read the one move heaps, got my hands moving how they were supposed to and tried it, but couldnt do it...
but yet, the other day I tried it with someone else's poi, and almost had it... is it possible that the weight of the poi may be tripping me up (so many people have complained about my poi it isnt funny, lol)

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
i think when u buy a poi book the easiest thing to do is read about a move you can already do, that way you can work out the way the author describes certain actions and movements then its easier to break down the other harder moves. xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
as always a pretty young lady has magically appeared and shown us the way

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
yep... I flicked through it and found butterfly, and circles, and those things, I understand what she is on about... I just cant do it! ubbcrying

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I found the one by Michel Kahn great!, I've learned pretty much everything I know from it. It breaks everything down into simple moves. I'd recomend starting from the beginning though, as most the moves stem from each other and it builds your understanting of the paths of the poi in each trick

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
my aim is to finish that booH!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
i love the poi spinning book
I got it for christmas and powered my way through it so i could do everything except behind my back by new years eve.
now i've finished it i wish there was another one explaining hyperloops and isolations and all the other complicated stuff.

it definately a good idea to start fom the beginning even if you know some of it, it much easier to get used to undertanding the pictures and descriptions.

i had mine comb-bound so that it lays flat when its open so its easier to see when you're trying to learn.

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: starpoi

now i've finished it i wish there was another one explaining hyperloops and isolations and all the other complicated stuff.

ditto ditto ditto

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
maybe if we hint enough, someone will be lovely enough to do it!! PLEEAAASEEE!

Pretty pretty please with ice cream and sweeties and chocolate muffins and ...*runs off to find lovely things to bribe people with*

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: starpoi

Pretty pretty please with ice cream and sweeties and chocolate muffins and ...*runs off to find lovely things to bribe people with*

*Runs off to look too