Forums > Social Chat > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I've just been told I might have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Have had silly tingling/pains in my fingers for 2 nights now and no sleep, and I won't get a physio appointment for another 3 days (and that's the private one I have to pay for, the NHS one has a waiting list of 6 weeks. hurray.)

Does anyone have any experience with it?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
sorry i don't have any experience with carpal tunnel syndrome...but i do have plenty of hugs for you!! smile

hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
my mum has it in one wrist.

there are two treatments as far as i know:

1. operation. they cut this little tiny bit of your wrist and that fixes it for most people (usually offered to long term sufferers).

2. drugs. either taken orally or as a series of corticosteroid injections in your wrist. ouch methinks.

if it keeping you awake at nights it must be pretty damn bad.

my mum has been showing symptoms for about the last four months now but luckily it hasn't been too painful that it has hindered her everyday life.

good luck with getting it sorted out smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yeah

I have it.

and more.

I suffer nerve pain in every inch of soft tissue in my body because of repetitive stress and bad posture.

Chin up, if you work at it and look after yourself you'll be ok. Im nearly fully recovered now.

Everything contributes so keep reminding yourself to sit up straight. Rotate your wrists a little every hour or so. Dont type for more than 20 minutes at a time. Keep your hands straigh and down by your side whenever you can.

and listen very closley to your physio wink

You'll find out what the neutral positions are pretty quick through negative feeback.

hope you get well soon

a

Love is the law.

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
CTS is often hereditory so find out if anyone else in your family has it. my sister and aunt had it so the doctor recomended the operation as soon as i started getting symptoms.

you might have to go for nerve conduction tests where they put a tiny current through your hands to see if the signals are getting through - these tests feel really wierd but aren't anything to worry about.

i had the carpal tunnel decompression operation last year, it's a really simple procedure so if you have to have it don't worry!!

i went private and it cost £1600 for the operation but i could tell that it had an effect after only a day so it is definately worth it.

if you want to know anymore about the operation or anything don't hesitate to ask me!

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
i know it's only a matter of time before i get it, what with being a computer geek and whatnot

.hug.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the hugs and recommendations smile

Have been trying to not bend my hand all afternoon, but the tingling hasn't stopped for even a second, so it'll be sleepless night #3 and lots of fun at work tomorrow... today was bad enough, at about 4 pm I got so tired that I started mis-reading stuff about the maturation of cells for masturbation ubbloco at least there's a funny side to it, though I'm not sure what this says about my subconscious... bathtub later, I managed to sleep in there for about an hour last afternoon.

Starpoi, as soon as I get confirmation as to what it is I'll probably get back to you. I don't think it's heredetary, it seems to be one of the 1001 things diabetics are more likely to get so I blame it on that. At least it's one of the long term effects that seems to be fairly simple to treat, if annoying. And 4 days of juggling at the BJC are probably as good a trigger as something to do with bending hands can have!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
ooh i just remembered, my sister swears by those magnetic bracelets - the cheap magnetic heamatite ones that you can get in hippy or health food shops are fine although there are wayy more expensive ones available. I never used them but my sister says they really really helped here with CTS.

The pins and needles are a nightmare, i hope you get a relief from it soon.

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
i used to have that.
they gave me an injection in my wrist to relieve the preqssure which was causing it.the other option was to have an operation....not really sure what would be involved in that though...sorry.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
my mum had it in both wrists... she got both done at once in the operation.. cant see the scars and its the best thing she ever had done! The pain went pretty much straight away... it used to keep her up at night too.

good luck sweetie!

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Um, I was looking at this info on “occupational hazards” yesterday. It is a bit graphic. Hope this helps.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Carpal Tunnel release procedure

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

chaseSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
I have had carpel tunnel for years now. I've had the tests - moderate to severe is what I have. I know very well about the sleepless nights. When it gets bad - I sleep with these awesome braces on that keep my hands aligned with my forearms. I had them made at physio, they cost about $40 and they are shaped to my arm and hand. By using these braces the carpel calms down and it goes back to being normal and I don't have to use the braces for a while (though they are not really uncomfortable...well in relation to carpel anyways...). I've never had surgery or any other kind of treatment. If you can't seem to get braces made there are generic brands in drug stores and places where braces are sold - never tried them so don't know if they are good or not. Also, I've used tensor bandages before when I was away from my braces - just find the right tension with 2 on each wrist so it doesn't add to the compression but provides some support. I've found sleeping on my back helps with my arms stretched out at my sides.
I hope thie helps. hug

...it's safe to say that relationships inspired by the art of poi are not necessarily 'poi'fect...!

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
again, many thanks to all smile

found a solution for last night, which was:

1. put big blanket on floor
2. put Birgit on big blanket
3. acquire "Eagle" position with arms stretched and me on tummy
4. change whenever needed

actually got some sleep in between changing positions and feel much better now, though once the flatmate's back from holidays I'll have to move back into my tiny much-too-soft bed

(G.W. Dahlquist)

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I had a friend in texas who thinks he got over it via simple physical therapy - isometric wrist excercises everyday. but since I can't really say I've ever actually heard a doctor recommend this, it could have been coincidence. but then agian - the excercises couldn't hurt...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
actually right now I'd be happy if I could even see someone who could tell me what it really is. Though I got some sleep last night it was nowhere near enough to make up for 2 lost nights, and though my hands didn't hurt that much last night they have hurt like hell since I got up. And it's really not easy to do stuff like opening bottles (or closing a bra!) when you can't feel your fingers frown I'm currently somewhere between crying and screaming at random people for no reason.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

funky_hatseating apples with chopsticks can be rather difficult
167 posts

Posted:
hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

(or closing a bra!)

finally, a positive aspect of RSI

ubblol

Love is the law.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

Written by: Birgit

(or closing a bra!)

finally, a positive aspect of RSI

ubblol

oi you! it may have been difficult, but I managed ubblol

(G.W. Dahlquist)

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
No experience here, sorry Birg, but here's hoping you sort it out soon! hug

I have to confess it's one of things I've heard about but never bothered to research. Another, and thankfully unrelated, one of these things which I recently had to do some reading on was Asperger's Syndrome. I think I should really try to keep up..

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
one of my tutors had a row of drawing pins strapped to his keyboard, just below the spacebar, pointy bits upwards.

looked evil, but it kept his wrists up and level with his arms and hand. he says he did it to avoid RSI.

ture na sig

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
interesting links, there.

*hands birgit some instant sleep* i know you could do with some of that.

goodluck hug

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Anti-inflamatory drugs such as ibuprofen sometimes help at night time (your doctor might be able to prescribe something stronger)

good luck sleeping smile

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
I've been getting some kind of RSI/carpal tunnel thing going on, and it sucks. The things that I've found helpful:

[Disclaimer - this comes from a few hours of reading online, not properly verified. I'm mostly doing what my body seems to want, so don't take this as gospel. Also, my symptoms are in the little fingers of both hands, so it's probably not exactly carpal tunnel]

- looking at repetitive tasks and trying to take the strain out of them. For instance, I've got 4 inches high piles of books in front of my keyboard, so that my hands just kind of float over it. Lying the keyboard flat on the desk helps

- it may well have to do with nerve irritation/trappedness; this can occur anywhere from the shoulder to the wrist, so it's worth thinking about things further up your arm as well, and trying to keep it all mobile

- I always seem to walk around with my fingers straight and together, totally in line with my forearms nowadays. I often stick my arms out in a straight line, and rotate them a few times from the shoulders

- It may well be necessary to take a serious break from what you're doing. This might be weeks, and the kind of thing where even a small amount of strain can undo weeks of rest

- I often woke up lying on my hands, and found that they were numb; I figure this isn't good, and I've been trying to get a good posture while sleeping.

- For some reason, strenuous double staff seems to help, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a general cure

Mine was really bad for a few days (constant pain, hot/cold feelings, tingling, loss of strength and coordination). then I had a break with no computers for a few days, and it pretty much cleared up. Now it's kind of coming back, but in a fairly low-key way. I'm trying to keep good posture and minimum strain.

On the plus side, it's increased my body awareness, and helped me correct a few things about typing positions wink

Good luck, mate!
EDITED_BY: mo-seph (1112805325)

monkeys ate my brain

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Written by: mo-seph

For instance, I've got 4 inches high piles of books in front of my keyboard, so that my hands just kind of float over it. Lying the keyboard flat on the desk helps

just trying that. feels very weird, but if it helps I don't mind...

- it may well have to do with nerve irritation/trappedness; this can occur anywhere from the shoulder to the wrist

that's what they should check out tomorrow... I hope they'll find it. I have a horrible history of people saying I have things that turn out to be something else (or nothing...)

- It may well be necessary to take a serious break from what you're doing. This might be weeks, and the kind of thing where even a small amount of strain can undo weeks of rest

That's what I'm scared of... eek

- For some reason, strenuous double staff seems to help, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a general cure

hmmm... chances are I'd injure myself more with double-staff. Poi make it worse frown But thanks for all the suggestions biggrin I'll make a list of all the useful things people have been saying and double-check it smile

Need to find a massage minion.

On the positive side, I got about 6 hours of sleep last night and the physio appointment is tomorrow biggrin

(G.W. Dahlquist)

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Grrrrrrr.

Update.

10 weeks after first seeing a doctor I got into physiotherapy. They didn't really seem to know what they were doing though they tried, so they referred me on.

Now I'm in hand physiotherapy. Latest news are I'm not supposed to be straining my left hand for 6 weeks and wear a horrible ugly plastic splint all the time if I can, and the right hand will probably need surgery. One of the reasons is that it's not got that much better in 4 months. This is very annoying, because it probably means that if they'd seen me earlier they would've been able to do something with exercises and ultrasound and maybe injections. Now I'm going on to the next waiting list, probably about 6 months, for surgery. Unfortunately I can't afford private insurance to speed it up. The bad thing is, the longer you wait to treat it, the less likely it is to go completely back to normal, cause basically my nerve has been squashed for 4 months already, and 6 months more of the same are very unlikely to help. So I may have to get used to living without feeling my fingertips. Why does everything have to take fxcking ages to get done here? Surely people must realise that things get worse and more expensive the longer they wait?

I'm also wondering - since I apparently won't be able to use my hand properly for weeks after the operation - what my boss is going to say about that. And of course (even if that's just going to be for a few hours to a few days) being a one-handed diabetic is going to be fun. But hey, I don't have to worry about that for 6 months, do I.

ubbcrying

Sleeplessness is getting worse again, too.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i dont think they can legally sack you for it, but i really dont know there.

What do you do at work?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Awwww hun, im sure everything is going to be ok *hugs* xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Nah, don't think they'll sack me, but they'll be unimpressed... just doing a PhD, but it's lots of pipetting and typing (=stuff not good for carpal tunnel), and recently we've been moving and I've not been able to help too much cause the other hand hurts whenever I have to hold/lift things, and I'm scared that people think I'm majorly slack frown

(G.W. Dahlquist)

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
So, 10 months down the line, I'm finally going to see a doctor that knows what to do about it. I'm probably going to have the operation, though of course noone's bothered to tell me, but it has to be either that or the cortisone injections. Well. Wish me luck, it's on Tuesday (Valentine's Day ubblol), and I hope I'll soon be able to spin pain free. Or get up in the morning and do my job without thinking my hand's falling off...

(G.W. Dahlquist)

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i started getting the symptoms and went to a doctor, my wrists are in poor shape from horseback riding and computers and drawing and general clutziness...i have two braces i got from the drug store and eat more veggies for mineral and vitamins
i had a stress ball to that helped when my hands started to tingle

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Page: