Forums > Social Discussion > UK General election announced

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
So they have finally confirmed that the general election in the UK will be on May 5th.

This means for the next month we are going to have nothing but electioneering and mud slinging.

Am I the only person that can't stand all the rubbish these Politicians sling about. Why can they not just tell us what they intend to do if they get into power. I'm sick to death of all these slanging matches. I would have more respect for them if they didn't do any of that [censored] and would be more likely to vote for them. Its getting to the point where you can't tell one party from the next because they all spin the same lines.

Is it any wonder so many people don't bother to vote at all?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*poke your MP*

biggrin

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
i cant vote - too late to register for postal.... grrr silly me!

ubbloco

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

Mistress_MaledictiHeaven doesn't want me, and Hell is afraid I'll take over
192 posts

Posted:
My biggest problem is going to be finding out who I can actually vote for! We get so little in the way of canvassing, it's ridiculous. Last time we had an election, I didn't find out the names of the candidates until my postal ballot papers dropped through the door.

What I also found disappointing was the fact that in the last couple of local elections, we've had Labour/Tory/LibDem candidates and also a couple of 'minority' parties like the Greens. Last local elections, the Greens didn't put a candidate forward because they said they wanted to concentrate their resources on the general election that they knew was coming. Very highly principled, I'm sure, but it doesn't help those of us who want to see Green policies at a local level.

I live just up the street from the local Conservative Club. It has to be the most heavily fortified building in the whole area!

sin

"Abashed, the Devil stood and saw how awful Goodness is"

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
'Last local elections, the Greens didn't put a candidate forward because they said they wanted to concentrate their resources on the general election that they knew was coming. '

the problem is that unlike the big three (esp tories/labour) other parties can't rely on massive donations from buisness or unions, they're financed by the candidates and donations from people like you an me who support them. Unfortunately runnin a campaign (flyers, posters, etc) is damn expensive and so the smaller parties can only afford to run in areas where they think they'll at least get their deposit back or gain enough new members and financial support to absorb the costs.

Once again we see democracy in action... anyone can stand... but you only have a hope of getting somewhere with a serious amount of capital behind you... Although at least we're not at as bad as th US for this

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
re: ''what's 'actively fighting the system', anyway?'

ok, so i know that civil disobedience counts as fighting the system; what i don't see is how spoiling ballot papers, or abstaining, can fall into this category.

ture na sig

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
It shows that you are bothered enough to go to the polling station, but you dont trust any of the people who you can vote for, further than you can throw them.

Non-Https Image Link

192 posts

Posted:
I managed to find out via the BBC's website "election 2005" page exactly who's standing in our constituency although none of them have started campaigning yet - I guess that's because of Friday and Saturday's events where apparently the Pope married a horse.

The choice is limited to Labour, Tory, LibDem and UKIP. Bah.

sin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Who's your Independent Goth?

Getting to the other side smile

192 posts

Posted:
Ours is a bloke called Doug Hope. It's getting even more exciting, now we've got a BNP candidate to come and stir up a bit of bother too. I wonder if that's got anything to do with the huge influx of immigrants we've had in the last few months...

sin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
yeush.

there's a good enough reason to vote for ANYBODY else.

Getting to the other side smile

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
thank you jon well put! hug

Quiet - go back and read my post. I was simply demonstrating the difference between apathy and abstinance in our current system.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Page: