Forums > Social Chat > Knagi's Vent.... Thick headed ppl! Attack on White gas

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Alright here we go.... I just had a spin with a new person the other night and they brought white gas to spin with.... I'm sure a few of you ppl are prolly askin yourself what's the big deal... Well let me give you alittle background.

Fall last year... A very odd chain of events had unfolded in a way to cause a massive out of control fire from half a pint of white gas... While I wasn't involed in the chain of events I took the most damage from this spill. Being set on fire is not a pleasant experance... Especially from someone you've alrdy told tons of times to stop using white gas!

Spring this year.... Same person AGAIN brought white gas.. This time I told him he wasn't welcome to join us. Later that night he came screaming out of the woods with 2ed degree burns from his palm to his shoulder... Doubt I need to give details on this as you all can use your imagination.

I've seen this "DEVILS FUEL" do so much damage so quickly.. I watched at ground zero as flames washed over fuel and people much the way waves wash over the beach. Only 10x faster. There's only ONE use for this fuel... !!!SETTING *YOURSELF*(and others) ON FIRE!!!

It is totally useless as fuel for twirling. It burns it'self out very quickly, it's combustable as the devil himself and it really does have it's own plans... You can never perdict the future and you can NEVER know when *IT* will decide it wants to ignite and bring alittle bit of hell to earth.

What prompted me to post this now?? Well The person I was spinnin with the other night is saying the same thing as the guy who burned himself said to me.... "I'm more comfortable using it". I showed them the differances and even told them all my storys to no avail.... This person even sets out a candle to light thier poi with.

I'm so feed up with these ppl starting out new and listenin to some other person who's been doing who knows what for how long and prolly without even reserching anything! Then finding me to spin and totally ignoring a seasoned 2 year twirler!

I don't know what to do anymore.. I don't want to disconnect myself from these type of people, and I don't know how to make them see the fuel for what it is !!!!TOTAL EVIL!!!

If anyone could give me some advice it would be greatly apprecated..

Knagi

P.S I hope this note reaches some of you that use white gas and knocks some sense into your heads!

If you think this is a saftey issue don't bother to reply. There's no saftey mesures for dealing with the devil.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I'm not actually sure what name the devil's fuel goes under in Australia, but I tend to be a kero girl myself.

No need to apologise for this anger. I can understand totally. You were in a situation where you had injuries caused by someone else's stupidity. And that person had the lack of sense to repeat their experiment & hurt themselves too. I can pretty much understand how you would get angry if people around you did not listen to your advice on this.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
well, myself personally have been using white gas ever since I started using fire. and I agree, it is a volitile fuel. but with a little common sense, and a bit of simple instruction, it can be used very safely. you just always need to spin off properly (the only people I've seen do this are the four people in my performance group). I use it because at indoor performances, with four people spinning at once, kero would create ALOT of smoke, which would bother the crowd, which would result in far less enjoyment from the audience, and possible asphyxiation risks for the four of us (keep in mind we like REALLY big wicks). remember, its not the fuel being used, its the person using the fuel.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
and I'm not trying to say it is the recommended fuel for most spinners. most people don't have the self control to use this fuel properly. last week our fuel dump almost exploded, due to a spinners stupidity, and the volitile nature of the fuel. but I say rather then disregard the fuel completely, teach these people who want to use it the proper methods for using it.

and I know your reply already "there is no proper method for using the devils fuel" but there is

1) after dipping, let wicks drip off completely, then do a drop-stop motion over the can to get the extra drips off.

2)when walking away from the fuel can, go in the opposite direction that you plan to light up at, and spin off properly (this means spin poi/staff as fast as you can, until absolutely no fuel hits the ground at all)

also one should keep closed cans of white gas at least five feet from the dip can. all dip cans should have a lid that seals enough to keep in all fumes, which is kept on at all times when not being dipped in.

if all of these guidelines are followed exactly, you will have no problems when using white gas.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I have used pretty much nothing but white gas! Even done transfers with it! No problems or scars on me! I have drawn blood before!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've always been vocally against whitegas. It's very dangerous. My biggest concern is having some crackhead spectator knock over the fuel dump of whitegas. It always makes me nervous whenever we use it. Every close call we've ever had has been with whitegas.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Yeah Rozi your my girl! My biggest turn on is the smell of a sweety girl covered in kero

Master..... My practices for using white gas are to pry open the smallest of paint cans I could find, Fuel what I need.. Then take whatever time and whatever force it takes to totally reseal the can. I go way overboard when resealing the can. Not to mention 2 wet towels and a fire extingusher for only a half of a pint. Indoors is a beast of it's own and one I have chosen not to tame.

Lemme throw out a little situation for you to imagine. You've spun off and gone way away from your fuel to twirl. Some spectator thinks the far side of your spin off area is a safe place to watch from. And lets also say that you wern't the only one that night to spin off. And one of your friends had spun off towards the fuel can. The spectator drops the end of his ciggertte on the ground stomps it out and the red embers ignite the smallest bit of spin off 20 feet away from the can.. The flame travels at the speed of fire across this spread to ignite your lightly closed can. The whole can goes up from missed drippings. Someone runs up and attempts to smoother the can but accidently tips it over. That person is now on fire and you have a huge out of control fire that easyly crosses your 5 foot spread to the refilling can.. With no one able to enter the sea of fire to save your refilling can the heat cooks the can until the fuel inside expands enough to cause an explostion.... NOW WHAT DO YOU DO? Btw... all this happenes within 5 seconds.

There's endless ways for a flame to find even the smallest amount of white gas. Even with the best saftey you can think of. SHIT HAPPENS.. It's a rule of life You can't avoid.

NYC. Has anyone actually listened to you? Or are you havin the same problem as me... Ppl just using white gas because it's what they were told at first to use and not wanting to change thier ways?

[ 24 September 2002, 19:27: Message edited by: Knagi ]

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
ok, so if there is actually someone stupid enough to spin off in the direction of a fuel then they aren't allowed to spin with me. besides, when my performance group spins off, we are usually well over fifty feet from the can. sometimes we get as close as thirty feet from the can, but thats it.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
So what do you tell the family of the three people who died in the explostion and the 15 people in ICU. What about the venue owner who's out of a place now and facing multiple lawsuits?

Your excatly the type of person I'm talking about here. Your defending the white gas.. How would someone convince you that you can't always be in control?

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
as I pointed out earlier, it isn't a perfectly safe fuel. but guess what, no fuel is. but with the proper precautions taken, one can use white gas without much of a problem. from everything you have said about white gas it still seems to be stupid people who are causing the accidents rather then the fuel.

what do you tell the club owner when he's facing lawsuits from patrons who inhaled too much smoke and need hospital care? what about when you slip on the kerosene break an arm, and lose your staff into the audience, or even worse, into the fuel dump.

besides, you usually don't have to worry about your fuel being anywhere near the audience if you're indoors. at least I haven't yet, cause I always store it and spin off outside, or in a back room somewhere.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Knagi,
Nobody has ever listened to me about anything. I'm a high school teacher after all

I think Knagi and I are perhaps talking about indoor venues. And this whole "if all of these guidelines are followed exactly, you will have no problems when using white gas" is basically putting the safety of everyone involved into the hands of the weakest link in the room. If a container of whitegas is knocked over by anyone (performer, spectator or drunk fratboy) in the club, people are going to die. And the response of the performers who brought the whitegas will be "It's not our fault that some guy tripping on PCP kicked our fuel dump because he thought it would be funny."

What pisses me off is the fact that some dumbass firegroup is going to have an accident and burn down a building and kill some people and then the Police and Fire Department are going to crack down internationally. And the troupe that started the fire is going to pull a "It wasn't our FAULT there was this drunk chick and her a$$hole boyfriend and she was all like..." Bull$hit. If you bring the fuel in the room, it's your fault.

Until you can control all of your spinners as well as your spectators whitegas is an extremely dangerous fuel to work with.

Master Sodium, I find your "whitegas is safe" arguement to be odd if you state that last week your fuel dump almost exploded. I would think that almost detonating your fuel dump would fall into the "unsafe" category. Clearly something was allowed to happen that could have hurt people. You are lucky, and nothing more, that no one did get hurt.

Everything in the world is safe "if used correctly under ideal circumstances." If I've learned one thing as a fire performer and chemistry teacher it's this:
No accident ever happens in an expected way.

It's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming.

Unfortunately, some people have what I call "Russian roulette" logic so prevelant in teenagers. Put one bullet in a revolver, spin the chamber, point it at your head and pull the trigger. If you live, say "See! I did it! It's safe!"

With more and more newbies joining the scene every day it's up to us to preach the word against whitegas. People are going to get seriously hurt and die. Just please don't do it in my town.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I, and a lot of others in Texas are with Master Sodium et al on this one. Not going to stick my head too far into the conversation (since I'm in no mode to start an argument), but after much consideration (especially safety minded ones), we have all pretty much settled on white gas and not once had a problem with it. But then we are all safety nazis too.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I'm kind of scared of white gas. I'd never heard horror stories like those in this thread, but after reading up on its properties I theorized what could happen and stayed away. I never knew people were so adamant against it, and it kinda makes me feel like me fears are justified.

however I was under the impression that it was the only fuel you can use indoors 'cause it burns smokeless. is that right, or can you get away with kero/lamp oil? if someone could tell that would be cool, but I'll otherwise stay out of the debate as I'm not too experience with white gas to put up a good argument...

but consider me squarely in the kero camp.

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Rozi,

chemically, "white gas," almost always the Colemans brand here in the US, is almost pure naptha.

we've got an msds for it online now in our Safety section (<-- you can click this) along with picture of the can/ tin container for ya.

and the beginning of a list of common fuels in our Fuels section.

Everyone,

anyone wanna help us & all online pyros flesh out that list, beyond what's in the existing HoP articles, especially with your custom blends or new & unusual & worth-trying fuels which aren't in the most common repertoire yet, we'd love it. our site is not just for our regional pyro family, it's intended to do some things for everyone when they're not things HoP is doing, so please add in by letting me know here or e-mailing & we'll love to get the otherwise many-overlapping-half-forgotten - search-if-ya-got-time-to-go-thru-good-&-junk threads into a few good, up to date know-how pages!

SoCal

yes, lots of peeps use it a lot around here. indoors & out, NYC. & we have had plenty of spills & accidents, none too serious so far, thank Agni, but stuff like drip drip drip from dipping container, poi or lighter or spin off hits trail 3 feet away, container becomes fire urn. and yeah, even pros have been seen with spots of fire on their clothes, usually brush it off or let it flame out -- luckily not too dense -- like it's nothing.

not condonin this!

Coleman's is easily available, & cheaply, from Wal-mart & K-mart -- our biggest US discount general merchandise retail chains, including 24 hour stores -- to sports stores, kero is rarer to find, other fuels even more so.

Knagi,

to protect yourself from butter-fingered idiots? carry a firesword with a real 440 toledo blade in it, or a pocket maybe military quick fold-out flame-proof cover sheet to hide under, or just look more menacing so they don't dare come up close when you growl, dude!

& Knagi, after dissin white gas, so what fuel recommendations, to *1* idiots *2* newbies *3* pros d'ya make now, master?

~ Mike

[ 24 September 2002, 11:15: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Lovin it NYC That excatly what's gonna happen when someone goes and burns something of importance down.. Even though I had no hand in the unfolding of the chain of events that caused the first spill I still blame myself because I had the chance to stop it a mile away and didn't act on it.

"what about when you slip on the kerosene break an arm, and lose your staff into the audience, or even worse, into the fuel dump. "

Bingo! Master... I'd like to call you afew names but I'll just leave it at that Anything you do to yourself as a fire twirler is your own fault and you should feel proud of your scars or broken arms. Check out my sweet burn in the gallerys. As for losing it into a fuel dump.. I laugh at the idea.. I'll match you move for move.. Except I'll pour two gallons of my fuel all over and dance in it then as encore I'll throw my still burning poi right at my fuel dump and feel totally safe... Can you do the same? Further more WHY are you burning things inside? You still don't understand just how out of control things can get in seconds. I don't even think I'M ready to be burning indoors. Why would anyone WANT to. It's like throwing matches at a leaking propane tank. If somethin goes wrong you don't have the luxury of standing back and laughing as it burns it's self out. Even worse you have the chance of a VERY long jail sentance. I've learned that even if you don't burn anything if the cops want to they WILL throw you in jail and hit you with big fines.

The only fire acts that can really be done indoors is fire-eating. Only reason I'd twirl anything indoors is if there's a VERY large sum of money involed. You would hate me if you knew how much I charge to show up and spin for someone outdoors.. as ppl say it cheapens the art But if they want me indoors you'll never come close to getting what I would ask. And they would prolly wouldn't pay it.

"It's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming." Think I have a new signature

Firemike... Kerocine and Lamp Oil are ALWAYS the best choices. They work best for everything the only reason anyone should carry white gas in an arsonal is for eating and trailing. Hehe closest I'll ever get to someone spinnin white gas is the distance I think it would take for me to rush them and put them out. While doubling the distance to thier fuel dump. And people wonder why they have to walk 20 feet away from there fuel if they wanna talk to me.

We are still no closer to the answer of convincing thick-headed people that white gas is over kill for twirling. Even with the help of the lovable master

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
If I use lamp oil I mix it with white gas, now my other thing is that lamp oil sucks, it doesnt light very will and it is to smokey for my taste. I'll keep using my white gas untill I use something better. Also anyone know how to say white gas in Japanesse?

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
I've used coleman's or escort camping fuel since I've returned to Canada because kero just smells waaaaay too much.

I get a headache just carrying it around if I use kero. I know there's loads of ways to store poi, but my staffs won't store so easy, and I just don't like the fact that people are obviously bugged by the smell on the bus or train.

I set my ass on fire last saturday, first time I've ever set myself on fire, and it was cause I didn't get all the excess fluid off. I was trying to do that spinny thing where you spin the staff between your hands to get the two huge fireballs. Obviously it wasn't thourough enough.

Generally though, I don't try to do any moves with fire until I'm very very comfortable with it.

Most everyone else here rushes to do their moves with fire as soon as they have the move, I usually wait till I have it totally totally perfect.

Keeping your fuel dump far away from the fire is just common sense. Covering it up is even better. Anyone who shakes off fiery bits of fluid over an open container full of flammable liquids is either suicidal or bloody stupid.

Sorry to hear that you know so many careless firespinners Knagi. Perhaps you should introduce them to tennisball poi. Some people just aren't ready.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
I think its funny how you keep referring to me as though I were think headed and stubborn (which I am, so I don't care) when your stnce against white gas is at least as stubborn as mine. it is for a good reason, I totally understand why you don't like it.

I also think its funny that NYC thinks I said white gas is safe, when I've pointed out IN THIS THREAD that white gas is not safe, nor is any other fuel. maybe you should actually read instead of skim over. the accident that happened last week was due to a moron. the reason our fuel dump didn't blow up was not due completely to luck, but because we have knowledge with white gas. we dont just keep it in one can on the ground. it is contained in a one gallon paint bucket with a lid, which is put into a five gallon bucket with a lid on it. makes it a whole helluvalot safer.

and about the drunk knowcking over your fuel. . . an any ourdoor event we burn straight kero. so if a drunk comes across our fuel somehow, no worries. and indoors, our fuel is safely stored away no where near the stage, in a seperate room, or outside, where no drunks, or audience members at all can stuble across it. so then all we have to worry aboot is our well trained fire performers. and I know they ain't gonna screw up.

and I still have yet to hear one decent argument against white gas, where an accident happened that was not the fault of someone who didn't know what they were doing.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Your right master there hasn't been one good point made vs white gas. Guess I needed the convincing that white gas isn't this evil spirt that's been haunting my dreams causing me to have nightmares.

There's no chance I'd ever bring myself to pouring a gallon of it into a paint can though. That would be like building the fire snakes again.

Ducks under a military quick fold-out flame-proof cover sheet and growls loudly.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Mr. Na, Perhaps I'm confused by the fact that you're contradicting yourself in this thread. Have you been skimming what you wrote? Because I've been reading it. Here's exerpts:

"It can be used very safely"
"white gas is not safe"

"I still have yet to hear one decent argument against white gas"
"last week our fuel dump almost exploded, due to a spinners stupidity, AND the volitile nature of the fuel"

IF your aguement is that it COULD THEORETICALLY be safe but has potential to be dangerous then I would classify that as a dangerous fuel. And you would say that it's safe. I'm comfortable with that disagreement, we're just defining "dangerous" differently.

Lamp oil is NOT volatile NOR explosive and, because of that, is safer than whitegas which is both.

If a lit wick soaked in whitegas quickly hits ANYTHING or ANYONE it could easily transfer and light something.
If a lit wick soaked in lampoil quickly hits ANYTHING or ANYONE it is next to impossible to transfer or light something.

If a large container of whitegas is knocked over it will light with the smallest spark or flame and create a huge uncontrolable fire.
If a large container of lamp oil is knocked over the fuel puddle will not light.

The information between the ***'s is enough to convince me that whitegas is dangerous. And is not enough to convince you.

But I think that we can both agree that there is a large number of people misusing whitegas and in that manner it is a dangerous fuel.

Is that a middle ground?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
NYC, I did not just say "I have yet to hear one decent argument against white gas", if you had kept reading, I continued on with "where an accident happened that was not the fault of someone who didn't know what they were doing." and saying "is safe" and "can be used safely" are two completely different things. a chainsaw isn't safe, but can be used safely.

and I don't know how someone could manage to spill the contraption I have for my white gas containment. they would have to be trying to tip it over basically. but then, no one except for my troupe mates come near it, so I need not worry about that.

and I never fill up the whole gallon can with white, that would be really stupid. I use the larger can so when I let them drip off, the fuel falls into the paint bucket, rather then into the other bucket.

I'm not trying to say white gas is safe at all, I'm just trying to piont out that it has its uses, and can be used safely if great care is taken. then I get my opinions attacked, so feel I need to defend myself, being as stubborn as I am, then I get more and more angry, and I keep getting attacked. I completely agree that most people shouldn't use white gas. I saw that last week. but I don't think I should be condemned for having a preference to make the performance less smokey on my audience.

so basically I agree with your middle ground NYC, I understand it does have an inherent danger much higher then any other common firespinning fuel. and about 99.9% of people should not use it. because they can't get it through their heads what needs to be done.

[ 25 September 2002, 10:16: Message edited by: master sodium ]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Agreed.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Okay, so I use white gas and have never had a problem but am aware of the dangers, and don't spin inside or around drunk/altered people (well, except BMan) but i was wondering, what do you all think about mixing lamp oil with white gas? White gas doesn't burn long enough and straight lamp oil is too smokey, so if you mix the two will you get less smokey, longer burning, quick lighting, safer fuel?
Anyone?

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
First I want to say thanks Knagi for starting this thread. I am an avid user of Ultra Pure Lamp Oil myself and would say the only downfall is the inability for trailing. However, at every outdoor burn in which I have been, I am the only person not using white gas. As Fire Mike mentioned in regards to some Southern California Burns,
quote:
we have had plenty of spills & accidents, none too serious so far, thank Agni, but stuff like drip drip drip from dipping container, poi or lighter or spin off hits trail 3 feet away, container becomes fire urn. and yeah, even pros have been seen with spots of fire on their clothes, usually brush it off or let it flame out -- luckily not too dense -- like it's nothing.

Honestly, I kind of steer clear of it all and have learned that I have to announce to everyone that my paint can is NOT for white gas. . -I became aware of this need after someone poured some white gas into my canister and I set it on fire while dunking my hot poi - a perfectly safe action in 100% lamp oil.. Luckily I was in an area large enough to get my can far away from where it could cause any damage and put the fire out...I was mad at myself for assuming noone would use my canister thinking it was white gas.. I also learned a valuable lesson to steer clear of all white gas dumps!! I create my own dipping area far away from teh white gas kids.. Ray mentioned that Lamp Oil does not burn as brightly, and though I was begining to believe that myself for always being the odd girl out in my fuel choice (even in a group of 20 people, I was the ONLY one not using it), at the last spin I went to, a photographer told me I had the brightest flame... That was good to hear.. So, to Master Sodium, it sounds like your group uses the needed caution with white gas...It seems very professional and I hope that other groups follow that example. I'm not going to say I am completely against white gas, but I do believe people need to respect it for what it can provoke and be much more cautious in its use. Luckily all of our gatherings have been outside on the beach, but I purposely keep all of my valuables far away from the white gas dump... I don't trust it and have yet to see people exercise the caution that I feel should be used with this fuel. I hope this thread teaches people the dangers and that they will be open minded enough to learn from it.

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
Just read your comment Nyx- I use smokeless, odorless ultra pure lamp oil. It does burn a little smokey, but it has never been a problem outdoors. Have you tried this kind and found it too smokey? I thouroughly enjoy the lighting process when I am igniting my poi from two candles. I incorporate it into a show (if there is anyone watching) and it doesn't take more than a few seconds. Luckily I started out with Lamp Oil so I never became acustomed to a super-quick light.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Nyx, yes... mixing lamp oil with whitegas certainly quiets down the whitegas. Even at 1:1 I still feel that it's pretty tame. It won't transfer all that well but that's a good thing unless you're going for that...

In my limited experience with mixing the two, it seems that you can pretty much define the ratio to be whatever you want. If you want lamp oil that lights a bit faster, throw a splash of whitegas in.

I still prefer my lamp oil pure, or maybe with some chopped garlic.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
lamp oil brands:

dulce, you're Lamplight Farms, are you, like pozee?

Knagi, NYC, whadda you use in lamp oil?

& master sodium, do you ever use lamp oil?

& btw, Knagi, you'd put "white gas" naphtha in your mouth for eating??? (which i assume is way up the danger scale from lamp oil, but which, i admit, yes, i've done, at least in a mix with lampoil, to brighten blowin out, tho i did not, for once, think i did something that night within the tolerable margin of safety i'm always otherwise good for)

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
I only use lamp oil for firebreathing. I dont like tha cost that I would incur using lamp oil with my wicks that contain ten feet of wicking each. plus (at indoor venues, or anywhere I have a decent stage anyway) I hate the slippery residue it leaves behind. almost fell over once on an outdoor stage, and I dont like the idea of falling on my lit poi.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I had friends using citronella for breathing last week. Other than the ability to keep mosquitos away with breath alone, are there any other benefits?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I use citronella lamp oil. I haven't been bitten by a mosquito in a year. It's a bit cheaper than regular lamp oil. Plus people come up to you after the show and go "WOW that was really great how do you... (cough, cough, cough) what the heck is that SMELL?!" then run away...

I also like both smokeless and regular lamp oil.

I use lamp oil/torch fuel pure. I've noticed no difference between pure lamp oil and citronella torch fuel except for the smell.

Slippery residue IS an issue with any fuel especially lamp oil and many spinners at a time. I spin out ALOT. But I've had ice skating rinks left behind by white gas kids too...

My decision is 99% what KMart has in stock.

I think that was all of the questions directed at me.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I've seen breathin done with citronella once. Only real difference is the mosquito replent. Lamplight farms is by far the best... Hehhe love the differances from lamplight and lamp oil.. Bottles are the same and labeled about the same.. cept lamplight says something like nearly pure parffin while lamp oil says 99% parffin.

White Gas K-mart: 4.22 per/g
Speedway or Marathon Kerocine: 1.89 per/g

How much does lamp oil run you NYC?

Page: