elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
Why is there so little information on meteors? confused

I have spent a long time browsing through pages of search results and found perhaps just one or two threads that listed various moves or discussed techniques. shrug

shrug Why? shrug

having only recently discovered the joys of meteor spinning, I simply cannot understand why more people don't do it! It's such a great mix of poi and staff techniques, plus its very own unique dimension. ubblove

soapbox Well I think it rocks, so I'm going to list a few things that I've started to learn. cool

staff-based moves

Well the general spinning a staff around the body applies to meteors, its just harder and takes more practice, but is too boring to list here! umm

ubbidea What is worth mentioning though, is that you must always work the meteor making contact just off-centre to keep the tension and rotation solid.

The fun stuff (in my biased opinion) lies in the interpretation of contact staff moves...

contact meteor! hoorah!
simple principle - take a contact staff move, do it with a meteor, keep the tension and don't hit yourself in the face. (NB: this last piece of advice should also be adherred to in all daily activities.)

horizontal moves - lets start with the good old propellor what's that? are you groaning? I'm obsessed with propellors? well good, and so should you be! biggrin if you don't know what I'm talking about (happens a lot) the propellor thread lives [Old link] The over-head horizontal propellor is actually not such a hard one (with poi it is much harder). The principle of making the contact just off-centre is key - so you just let the meteor roll around and around your hand/finger giving it a gentle nudge every beat to keep it flowing peace

why do i get the feeling I'm writing to myself and noone is going to read this... ah well, I'll carry on regardless...

neck roll - fairly obvious - bring the meteor down from an over head spin, spin it behind your neck, letting the 'non-contact' side off centre swing behind first.

:yawn:

OK, ok, its gonna get interesting now:

The Steve - this is not done in quite the same way as the staff move, because the meteor cannot maintain tension in that way. But if you take the meteor from an overhead CW spin, with you left hand, and let it wind itself down your arm, it will get to your shoulder, and by turning and pushing the meteor with your neck, you can do the neck roll and force it back up your right arm. ubbrollsmile

I'm tired of writing now. Gonna go play, but there are lots of other cool contact staff tricks to do with meteor: matrix, elbow stuff blah blah blah

...oh, but also fun are pendulums and rope dart tricks, and hyperloops are interesting too...

please someone else write about meteor tricks!!

bye now.
Loz x

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
sssshhh, or they'll all want one smile

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm meteors yet another toy i want as i'm fed up with using double poi, lol its too bloody difficult. infact there are several other new toys i want after falmouth frown

hug hug i know i can not offer trick tips but just thought i would say your not alone

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
yeah i bet you enjoyed falmouth...iv heard the stories about you and will....

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
lol there are stories? biggrin hug

falmouth, hm muchley fun

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
Written by: spherculist

sssshhh, or they'll all want one smile

exactly what I'm hoping wink

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i;ve got one. but im scared of it.

this is due to my lack of ability to maintain tension.

fig8's, grand. anything else and im getting smacked up good.

Love is the law.

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
yeah, I'm rubbish with anything that's not horizontal really frown (except poi moves... but yawn, that's what poi are for!)

maintaining tension requires SO much practice. Every day. For the rest of your life... ok that's a bit OTT, but still, meteor is hard, and it hurts. A lot. spank

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
hmmm...

Most fun things i've found to do with meteors are thru wrap type things with tracer type wraps and multiple contact points... there's a whole world of weirdness to be played with

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
hmmmmmmmmmmm *Hunts through tool box* i have to have something i can use for meteors

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

What is worth mentioning though, is that you must always work the meteor making contact just off-centre to keep the tension and rotation solid.

I have heard different things, but I might be biased and its a complicated topic. Anyway you might be interested in the Meteor Forum on Spherculism ubbrollsmile

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
There is a fellow that spins his own custom made meteors at our local spin on tuesday nights. To a poi spinner it is mesmorising the kind of combination moves you can pull off

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I never hold my meteor off centre, it distorts the symmetry. That however may be your desire.
If you've got strong wrists you should be able impart enough torque to keep it going.
Fishtails are relatively easy with meteors. I'm having trouble with reverse however.
I think along with the poi/staff aspects of poi you can also apply some rope dart techniques as well. Admittedly a standard meteor is too short for a lot of rope dart tricks though.

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Fishtails eek

Do you have any clips?

Contact meteor is definatly a tasty area with meteors.

Love is the law.

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I've got a couple of meteor vids on my member gallery but they're about 4 months old now and no fishtails in them. I'll try hard to film some more on the weekend. No promises though.
I've definetly got some time off work 10 days from now, so I'll video then for sure.
I can only really do contact meteor with my hands and arms (only if it slipps off my hand). I'm really looking forward to experimenting with some contact involving my knees and lower legs.
I've recently been trialling some new fire meteors that were made by the excellent guys at HOP. So I'll try and include some fire stuff as well.
They should be commercially available from HOP soon. I'm not sure when however. Hmm, sorry for the plug. I'm not from HOP however, so it doesn't really count.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Could you juggle meteors?

Two meteors, four balls. lots of tangle and untangles

i need another set meteors now

Love is the law.

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Maybe if there were some 'basic moves' video tutorials up here, like there are for poi and staff, it might seem a little more accessible for people? From their description and look, they seem like the sort of thing thats going to be way to hard to get to grips with, which isn't really the case. With a little push, people could be more willing to experiment (and inevitably fall in love with them.)
d

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
hehe i like to think of it as another great reason to go to meets though so i can watch others do it, hehehe.
and how long are yours? is there a set length? i have no idea i just play with stuff biggrin

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
There is no standard length. However I believe that you should have the meteor length slightly smaller than your height.
You should be able to perform behind the back and under the leg passes without the meteor hitting the ground.
Therefore, a more precise measurement would be the height from either the: (middle of your lower back to the ground) X 2 or the (height from under your bent leg to the ground) X 2.
For me i'm average (what is average however) height 178 cms and I use meteors that are roughly 160 cms.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
maintaining tension a problem?? do what i did!! SOCK METEOR!!!!!!! its cool, its 2 sock poi i tied together, you got a nice knot in the middle if you want and extra handle (useful for rope dart) and its weighted with a tennis ball at either end filled with 40p (in 2p's but 1p's are the same wither, obvously use half as many 2p's) and its perfectly weighted!!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
ive got hoem custom made sock metoer - v pirdy with small juggling balls in

soooo hard to keep tension in esp for verticle circles in front of you or helicoptors above

will maybe try some more contact stuff soon

back

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
The one sock meteor I played with was lovely for all the fancy wrapping and contact stuff but much harder to use for the easier 'standard' meteor stuff.
S'pose both sorts would be handy.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
its really nice for wrapping - not tried any contaact stuff *yet* its soo hard to rotar with - the amount of effort needed is insane tongue think i need to make it longer and heavier

i think i may buy some chain to link my fire poi with so i can use them as well smile wont flame up for a while yet though smile

back

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Linden, dont make it longer AND heavier cos that'll just cancel itsself out, make it heavier, its probably long enough.

and if you wann practice with fire meteor, look at the one the got on the HOPshop, its all rope with 2 monkeyfists, easier on the hands, chain is gonna hurt!!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
suppose so would either wear clothes or bind the centre section with clothe or something smile

but it'll be a while before i try fire be thinks - hit my head tooo much

back

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: dream

hmmm...

Most fun things i've found to do with meteors are thru wrap type things with tracer type wraps and multiple contact points... there's a whole world of weirdness to be played with

this is what i want more of. biggrin

i found it's fun to hold hold my hands together and move the meteors all around the inside circle of my arms, letting the leading head come from outside to inside and "catching" it with a thru-wrap in the opposite direction with the opposite wrist or bicep. especially for btb thru-wrap passes. i'm working on going back and forth btb, but it's hard as crap.

if i saw more than one beat of rotor contact with meteor instead of thru-wrap contact i think i'd [censored] myself... well, besides the fishtail buzzsaw that my friend does with glowchucks. is rotor style what you're saying some of these people are doing matrices and such with?? ubbloco

-- dut

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
talk to onewheeldave he is good with the old meter

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
I made me a little meteor a couple of weeks back. I made it 5 foot long out of rope with monkey fists on the end. Meteor is officially mad as a box of frogs. Loving it, quite a lot.

So yesterday I made a 7 foot one with bigger knots, which I think does rotor type things a bit easier, as well as giving me more length for the poi moves. Unfortunately it is a little unforgiving on the shins. I havn't had much chance to practice with it yet though, because after I made it the cats were in the garden, and one of them decided that he wanted to play too!

Thus far my favourite thing to do is a 3bt weave witht the whole thing straight and under tension so it's like a staff, takes a lot of concentration to keep the planes, but looks rather funky if I say so myself.

A couple of Qs for the experts. 1. Is there a magic secret to avoiding the damn thing folding in half during staff like moves? Would I be better off if I learned a bit of staff first and transferred it? 2. How do you grip yours? So far my favourite grip involves it passing beween my first and second fingers, with my palms facing inwards - basically a poi grip without handles - this has to be changed around for rotors. Is there a better grip or combination of grips for smooth transitions?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
IMO practicing staff is not especially a help for meteors- my feelings are that a big portion of meteor skills are made up of poi techniques and the remainder are neither staff nor poi techniques.

Having said that, when I was learning meteors i already had a grasp of staff basics, so maybe it did help.

Possibly it would be a good idea to learn the basic one-hand staff figure eight moves and learn to do them slowly so you can see how they work- while the feel of a one hand meteor figure eight is very different to the staff move- physically the meteor is doing the same thing.

By 'avoiding it folding in half' I guess you're talking about the difficult art of keeping the meteor in a straight line (so it's visually like a staff).

For that the grip is important and, for me, by far the best grip is to have the meteors in a straight line across the palm, exactly as if you are holding a staff.

This effectiviely gives you two 'control points'- the thumb/forefinger point and the little finger end of the hand.

Keeping poi in a straight line is achieved by the two seperate control points of each poi being in a different hand.

With meteors the same principle is in effect, but now (during one-handed moves) the two control points are in the same hand: additionally they're quite close together, meaning that the skill requires regular and consistent practice.

When, during a one-handed figure eight, the meteor starts to 'fold', you need to, using the distinct control points, speed up one end of the meteor, bringing it back into a straight line.

The difference between a staff one-hand-figure-eight and a meteor one, is that the staff, by its very nature of being a rigid object, requires no input whatsoever from you in staying straight: in contrast, the meteor needs a LOT of input from you to stay straight.

Once you've got that skill, you've got it and it's pretty easy, but it does take time to develop the technique and the sensitivity to apply it correctly.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Thanks Dave. I shall keep at it, and continue to collect interesting bruises!