Forums > Social Chat > The Pope's lingering end

Login/Join to Participate

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
I dont expect alot of people to do this, but those who are of the faith, i would ask that you may take a small moment in reverance for a man whos body can no longer battle at the same level of strength as his mind, being christian this is pretty big for me and my faily so, i donmt know people of the faith of just people whoo have taken note of the situation may want to say something of any relevance...

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
At the backpacker hostel where I am staying, we all stood staring at the news intently last night as EuroNews said he had died and as BBC World said he was still alive. it was kind of bizarre; we were all talking and laughing away then we say the newsbar and stood silently in disbelief. And i think only 1 of the 8 or so of us was catholic.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
there are alot of rumours dont believe everything, the mst reliable source i got claimed that the pope is still battling, though losinging none the less. its a sad day when a man so great has to face such demons alone and old no matter how ready he is.

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
sorry if this seems lightly offtopic and irreverent, but once while i was watching the news, the anchor called him "pope john paul the two" which if found incredably amusing. ubblol

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
rofl...
moron biggrin
america... yes?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Yeah, ive heard he's gone, too....not sure whether its true or not

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

sorrowbellBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

rofl...
moron biggrin
america... yes?

i just want to say that not everything that is moronic or dumb is american tongue.

the Vatican now says he has passed.
It will be an interesting month ahead with the selection of the new pope. I believe an african and an american are in the top 5...

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Yes, everything american is moronic and dumb, but not the other way around!

Cheers to the Pope, why be sad if you've done all you can with your life? Sounds to me like he was a pretty influencial cool frood.

wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
I am strictly Atheist.
So i will respect him for his contribution to human rights.

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: DoktorSkell

I am strictly Atheist.
So i will respect him for his contribution to human rights.

me too!!! but this was a truely remarkable man.
take solice that he's up there with the best of them, jim morrison, hendrix, mark boland (t-rex) and bob marley
(pity he never got a jump in his life tho) eek

did i just say that....... sorry thinking out loud biggrin

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
FireBug24 - at last a respectful thread to a man who achieved many great things - a man who continued to spread the message of peace that will never loose its relevance.

It looks as though he might be sainted in which case I think he should be made the patron saint of Kayakers since he was a keen kayaker.

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
don't you have to be a martyr to become a saint? i don't think he really died for a cause, he just died due to lack of life. i think you also have to preform miricles, but i know that they can pull something out of their..... to that affect

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
No - many people have become saints without being martyred or preforming miricles

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I was pretty sure that to be sainted (there is a proper word, beautified, or something, but i cant remember at the moment), you had to perform 2 miracles. if you perform one, you're an almost saint, and when you perform the second one you are made a saint. This is information a few years old though, from when the person who started our school was being saintified.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
firstly, no one becomes a saint by canonization. the term saint applies to any human in heaven. Canonization just means that the church has enough evidence to say, beyond doubt, that an individual is a saint. so, the process of canonization is that after your death:

0. several people suggest you
1. a local bishop investigates your life and/or writings for signs of "heroic virtue" and sends the results to the vatican.
2. A panel of theologians and the cardinals of the Congregation for Cause of Saints evaluate the candidate's life.
3. If the panel approves, the pope proclaims that the candidate is venerable, which means that the person is a role model of Catholic virtues.
4. The next step toward sainthood is beatification. Beatification allows a person to be honored by a particular group or region. In order to beatify a candidate, it must be shown that the person is responsible for a posthumous miracle. Martyrs, those who died for their religious cause, can be beatified without evidence of a miracle.
5. In order for the candidate to be considered a saint, there must be proof of a second posthumous miracle. If there is, the person is canonized.

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
Wow..... becoming a saint sounds harder than getting a fair trial if your name is david hicks.

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight