Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
Oh My God.

That was one of the most incredible experiences I have ever had. The sound alone has gotten me hooked. It is so awe inspiring to have such an incredible and uncontrollable thing as fire, spinning around me like that. I managed to do it a total of four times. My mom did it three times and my dad did it once. I will definetley be doing this for the rest of my life. I would like to know about others first burns. What was it like for you.
Love and Kisses
Ashia
"Don't do what you can't undo, until you've considered what you can't do once you've done it."
Robin Hobb, Assassins Apprentice

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Ashia BlackHawk, member # 578 and you just busted your virgin fire spin?

WHHOOOOOOOOoooooeeeeeee! CONGRATULATIONS!

Hearing you talk about it is a big rush. My first time, i wasn't ready at all, practice-wise, and while i don't recommend my approach to anyone, i was so eager to break my first flame with veterans, and at the time, gatherings were so few and hard to get hold of a "senior" spinner. . .i knew from a regional rave chat one was going to be at an underground barn rave 3 hours away, i drove there picking up a friend from another hour and half in a different direction, found her in the dark by asking around, threw myself at her feet, making my friend do the same, and got invited to the next San Diego gathering, of just 3 other spinners plus a really pro photographer, so i had the honor of my virgin spins being captured.

the sound, the whooshing motion, my pulse up, keeping it going when i certainly did screw up. . .they did give me props for surprising them and untangling chains by jiggling while on fire, and keeping going. . . i took my shirt off half-way, because for a dude, with long-sleeve t just for body/ skin protection, as i shouted out to them past my heightened box-universe of flames, when someone said worriedly, "what? . . . he's taking off his shirt!??!!!" (with first flaming poi in each hand and having proven my lack of dexterity so far!), i shouted "that's no way to get your virgin picture taken!" & somehow managed to off it. at the end, only about five small smudgy light burn scars on my torso & arms.

no regrets. still no regrets. total joy.

CONGRATULATIONS

i love what you're asking. on our OrangeFire website here in SoCal we have a forum for virgins, coz so many, even casual visitors, turn out to have practiced, sometimes a lot, and often secretly or long wanted to flame, and often they have their first time with us. . . but outside of HoP, so many are shy and don't post their stories.

thanx for yours, and for opening this thread, Ashia BlackHawk.

~ Mike, your pyro family over in Laguna

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
My first burn was only 2 weeks ago and the memory will last forever.

Enjoy the burn while the fuel lasts!

..then go get more fuel.

Raphael

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Wow, thats cool that your parents are into it, mine think poi is fine and dandy, just not with fire. They love the idea of led's. I had my first burn a few weeks ago and it was nifty I love the nice warm feeling you get surrounded by fire, and the sound is amazing. I kind of waited for my first burn, about 9 months, though 4 of the last months I didn't really do much poi related, just practiced every couple weeks so I didn't totally loose what I had.

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
yeah, spinnin up with your parents, now that's KEWL. . . !!! & everyone had a good time, huh!

after daring to burn during my virgin practice ruffs, now i'm focusing on practice practice go smooth, get skillz, i'm conscious of quality & grace before i perform poi publicly for show, beyond practice.

i'm already gigging, but mainly with other skillz while i build up my poi: my signature fire glowstix, fire-breathing, some sword. . . and puttin some power in group performances with a lil presence, intensity, drama, welcome, big, big, confident grins

(* grin *)

so your parents gonna spin some more with you, Ashia BlackHawk?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
My dad has no real interest in it. He had done it a few times before, and didn't totaly screw up, so he went ahead and did one burn. My mom will most likely do it a few more times, but she has a hard time learning the moves, so it won't be a huge thing for her. I on the other hand, have told my parents that I am going to light up as many times as possible during the next month, in preparation for halloween, as I possibly can. In my oppinion, this is the most Kick Ass thing in the world, and I can't wait to see the look on the faces of the guys whop were heckling me last year when I was using Chem Lights. I was suprised though. The sound was so incredible, but it wasn't near as loud as I thought it would be. I was told by a friend of mine in Austin, that it was so loud that you couldn't hear the music through it. Imagine my suprise when I could hear the music well enough to sing with it, and keep relativly on tune. I think I scared some of our neighbors though. We were doing it in my front yard, and I was so pumped that I couldn't keep quiet. It was so incredible that I just threw my head back and howled, I was so jazzed. Afterwards my legs were so weak. I thought that my arms would hurt, since I have been practicing with tennis balls, and had only recently started practicing with dry wicks. With the fuel on them, they were so much heavier. I am still "Suffering" from all the adrenaline going through me. I can't wait for Halloween!!! Gotta go
Love and Kisses
Ashia

Ash Blackstar

"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Happy for you !!! Congratulations

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

VictoriaBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
Wow my first burn seems like so long ago now
but reading about other people's first just reminded me of the massive adrenaline rush I had for my first burn...the sound was amazing....I could hear the music fine.....although I couldn't hear anyone aroind me talking...it was if I was in my own little world
I wish I could redo my first burn.....it was soo amazing.....I was so psyched after....when I got home I was in this amazing mood.....in my head I was just thinking "I just spun fire...that was soo cool"
If only I could relive it...I'vr lit up quite a few more times since....but never have any been as exciting as my first!!!
fire is amazing!

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
I gave myself a deadline for March 9th since there was a drum and bass party with some DJ friends in the desert. That date has always been special to me for an incident that ocurred 12 years ago, so I was excited to add more meaning to my March 9th memories. I'd practiced lots of moves for over 2 months before burning and built my fire poi the week before.. Then, with wonderful and very loud music, I was able to dance the night away and my first burn became my first performance. I could hear the roar of the fire around my body, but I could still hear the music, meaning my body had no limitations... Music is the key for me, so it was an amazing experience... I only realized after this night that it's hard to hear soft music over the fire's roar... I gave my husband safety directions and a damp towell for precaution, and all went very well. I probably had about 12 or more burns that night and recieved lots of compliments and thanks. While almost everyone was suffering from coldness in the desert night, I had no problem staying warm in a tank top.. I guess it was nice for the rest of the party goers (who unfortunately didn't feel like dancing) to have a show while they sat by a bonfire. I didn't meet anyone else in the fire community for 4 months after my first burn, but thanks to all the info on this site, I was able to prepare myself and have a succesful and wonderful experience!!!!! I'd say it was my best experience, but looking back and realizing how many moves I've learned since then, I'll just say it was a perfect start!

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah Ashia,just wanted to say that's awesome that it was a family affair for you. My dad helped me build my poi, but he wasn't there for the first burn. Was it your mom's first burn too?

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
wow, this thread is so wonderful, i did suggest it to someone else around here who just posted a Virgin burn thread.

but fall where the sparks will, where the fire touches ya. . . ya're kindlin wonderful posts in here, Ashia.

So without going too far off topic, sorry, didn't check for an Intro thread from ya, tell us, new fire spinner, how you got your name!?

with a big hug, ~ Mike (who's name's obvious)

[ 25 September 2002, 14:51: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
The name is twofold. I love the Blackhawk helicopter, and any helicopters really, and so it became the second half of the name of a gargoyle character I play in the live action roleplaying game / historical recreation group that I belong to. Ashia is also a middle eastern name, that I began using as the first half of my gargoyles name, after I began bellydancing. I also go by about twenty other names as well, everything from Raven (God only knows where that one came from), to Fenja Surefoot ( Another character of mine.) Gotta go
Love and kisses, Ashia

Ash Blackstar