PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Awhile ago I started a discussion on talent vs. skill in definition. I believe a talent is something you are born with and as you grow you gain the technical knowledge to do great things with it. Anyone can learn the technical side to equate to having skill. To me the difference between talent and skill is the painting that makes you say "Oh, that's nice" as opposed to the painting that makes you say "Oh my god!".

Now, here's part two to the question. Skill can fade over time if not used. What about talent? Do you think after awhile there comes a point when the technical knowledge has faded enough to render a talent useless, or just gone altogether?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Kabukimanmember
42 posts

Posted:
It really depends on what talent is. If talent is an pre-instilled ability to do something, then it was there when you started and it will always be there. If talent is something you get from observing, then it will fade.
I believe that talent will never fade (all men/women are not equal as is demonstrated in many a John Holmes film), it's something you are born with and skill is what happens when you develope your innate ability, as skill and precision are developed "Traits".

I wouldn't know... I've never given a cartoon character an orgasm.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I don't think talent "fades." I look at talent as the ability to acquire a skill, and also how much skill you can achieve.

Let's consider someone on these boards, AardvarkOnAcid, who I taught to spin. He's now a much better spinner than I am (without wanting to get into a discussion of what that means). I also watched the man figure out a five-beat weave within two weeks of learning to spin at all. I've watched him pick up moves in minutes that took me weeks and months. THAT'S talent. (I hate him. )

I think talent is watching a guy in my high school join the swim team during our Senior year and make All American three months later, while I had been swimming for eight years at the time, I was never that fast. I might have started off being more skilled than he, but he had more talent...and he used it. (I hate him, too. )

I think it's also possible to be talented at something, but completely unskilled...you might never even discover that talent. I wonder how many kids living in Hawaii would be world-class snowboarders if they everhad the chance to give it a shot. That's one of the tragedies of life: all the undiscovered talents that "go to waste" (whatever that means).

There's my 2¢.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Endermember
68 posts

Posted:
quote:
I believe a talent is something you are born with and as you grow you gain the technical knowledge to do great things with it. Anyone can learn the technical side to equate to having skill. To me the difference between talent and skill is the painting that makes you say "Oh, that's nice" as opposed to the painting that makes you say "Oh my god!".
that definition is pretty discouraging. basically saying, if you're not born with it, you can never be REALLY good. you can only be pretty good.

or that's how i read it anyways.

Kabukimanmember
42 posts

Posted:
My interpretation of what I said is that it's what you start with. Everything you get afterwards is skill.

Kabukimanmember
42 posts

Posted:
Good in terms of any art for is a misinterpretation. You can only like or dislike what one person does... You can't speak for everyone else... even the crappiest artist is bound to have a fan out there somewhere. Not attacking what you said... just trying to be neutral and open.

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Skills are skills, Talent is just the multiplier applied to the learning rate... in this example:

Skill = Talent*time

Multiplying each side by 1/time yields:

Talent = Skill/time

There, I defined them both mathematically

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Brody:

There, I defined them both mathematically

Well, there's talent for ya!

GEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!

(I'm calling someone a geek...talk about pots and kettles...)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Talent can become rusty when it is taken for granted. My cousin over in the UK was a naturally brilliant soccer player, and loved the game. He had excellent ball skills but wasn't very agressive with it, so when he started trying out for clubs, they passed him over cos they were looking with people with a lot of "grrr". He did get offered one place, but turned it down cos he was waiting on an offer from another club that never arrived.

So we are much older now, and his talent hasn't really progressed. He took it for granted and didn't try to extend his skills. He is older, and not as swift as he used to be, and he will never regain that.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...