jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Another earthquake has hit indonesia, just a couple of hours ago.
It could cause another destructive Tsunami.

Scary stuff frown

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
oh no frown:(:(

lets hope that minimal damage is done this time...

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
yeah, I just heard about that too, I was talking to Oli in Bangkok at the time and it was the first he'd heard of it!

At least he's safe and sound!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

FireKittenSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
calm down friends. The earthquake hit 124 miles off the coast, A tsunami travels at an average of 400 mph, thats means it would of hit land in 20 minutes max. It hasn't arrived yet so its either gone out to sea, or its not coming at all. I don't belive this one has caused a tsunami. Lets just hope everyones okay...

xX Twist and twirl to trance and techno Xx

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I just heard on the radio in Australia that there are a number of ships setting off from here to some groups of islands which have probably been badly affected (there is no communication happening there though) but nothing like the last one.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
It may have not caused another tsunami, but when you think about it it's still not a good thing. Indonesia was allready in shambles from the first hit, an earthquake doesn't help much with rebuilding the community. I heard that it was an 8.7 quake and that it's allready suspected that there was over 2,000 deaths.

missegyptology: I'm gonna be a terrorist when I grow up anyway

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
This earthquake was centered only maybe 100 miles from the first one. The tsuamis the first time around were caused my massive shiftings and landslides on the sea floor-- looks like this time, there wasn't much left to shake loose. That probably really helped. Also damn lucky that the earthquake itself didn't have the type of movement/vibrations that would cause big waves. It's always kinduva crap shoot with this stuff.

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
It hasn't caused another tsunami, thankfully, part of the reason is the first earthquakes plate movement was up and down, causing the wave, the second was sideways. (I think it's that way round but I may be wrong). Also the epicenters were different heights.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
afaik, the tsunami was a 9.0 on the richter scale, and the official indonesian death toll, according to channel 7 news, is about 860.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
wow, that's still a lot. in comparison to the first one it doesn't seem it, but over 800 people - woah.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
it all happens so fast, and one after the other...lets jsut hope it doesnt happen again soon....

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

Amber Flamesmember
58 posts

Posted:
Its really frightening isn't it...

I think one of the main reasons that this one didn't cause a tsunami is because it was in deeper water so the water absorbed the shock better than it did the first time. My heart goes out to people in the area.

Axx

Usually me on fire (rather than flames being amber coloured)

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
I Heard a Christian priest say that god is punishing the muslims in indonesia. Their crime? being Muslim.

Christ i hate religions.

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
its not the religion, its the person claiming to represent it

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
yes the plates were moving differntly, but it was still a huge earthquake. Terrible thing is nature, when it missbehaves unnanounced frown

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
My work mate has just travelled to malaysia to look after urangatans. (SP) So the rest of us in the shop were a bit worried. We havent heard any news of her but we dont think shes hurt or anything. Its just scary to think she probably felt it too. :s
Bit off topic but i just read peles thread on the pope and armageddon. Has anyone else noticed that these earthquakes have happened right after religious occasions?
Just a thought...

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Written by: Amber Flames

Its really frightening isn't it...

I think one of the main reasons that this one didn't cause a tsunami is because it was in deeper water so the water absorbed the shock better than it did the first time. My heart goes out to people in the area.

Axx

Sorry, I'm a geologist, I've gotta step in here....

Actually, both earthquakes were on the same plate boundary, which is a subduction zone, where one plate which is more dense (heavier) than another plate pushes beneath another less dense plate.

The March earthquake occurred about 160 Km, or 100 Miles to the southeast of the Dec. 26th quake that caused the tsunami.

Realize that there is a sizeable difference between the magnitude 9.0 quake in December, and the 8.7 in March.

To break it down, let's look at a jump from a magnitude 4.5 to 5.5 quake, which is a 10 fold increase in the wave amplitude (how much the earth moves during the quake, more or less). That ten fold increase means that there's an increase in the energy of the 5.5 quake of about 30.

In the case of the December and March quakes, it's a 3 fold difference in wave amplitude, with the December quake being bigger...

Some geoscientists that studied the December quake also noted that one side of the fault bent down, like it got snagged, during the rupture (earthquake) and sprung back up. When it bent downward, it created a void for water to fill in...but then it sprung back in place, and displaced that water that filled in plus the water already there. I can't find the site that mentions the study, but one of the Public broadcasting shows (Nova, I think) did a show on the cause of the tsunami, and the quake itself.

Sorry for the technobable...just want to clear up the fact that both earthquakes were thrust fault earthquakes, and went into a lot more detail...I do that when it comes to geology...I could add more, but...I think folks' eyes are glazing over.

redface

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
Written by: SpitFire

I could add more, but...I think folks' eyes are glazing over.

redface

Cant see...... *flails blindly*

Nah, i understood you.

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
slightly off topic, but my dad reckons its natures way of saying STOP THE POLUTION, and also that there may be a bit of over population there, its kinda of mean to think like that, but it kinda makes sense that mother nature is just kinda stressed atm

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"