Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I feel like there are two types of people: Those that name inanimate objects and those that don't.

I'm a not but my girlie's a yes. I just found out my cousin who I wouldn't have thought would be was, and my cousin who I thought would be wasn't.

Do you name stuff? What is it about the people namers that make them name? What is it about people that don't name that don't?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i dont name objects because i have no major attachment to them, if i lost my staff id be a little miffed (hehe been wanting to use that word for to long) but i have lots more on the plus side itd be one less stick id have to carry home, if my computer got stolen id be upset cos id lose everything up to my last backup but be happy cos id get a brand new one off insurance. to me its just replacable stuff. the only thing ive named is my phd project title cos there was a box that had to be filled in.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
ubblol am i allowed to sit on the fence? i don't name things intentionally but they do sometimes pick up nicknames somehow...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
no mr fence doesnt like it tongue

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
maybe I wouldn't give so many things names if I didn't have so many names myself smile
and I only name stuff I may need to converse with:

"Flash, please don't break down. We need to get to the airport."
"Holly, I'm wiggling as much as I can, could you just work with me here?"
"Tulip! For the last time - stop trying to hug me!"
"Damn you Poot, and your pesky technology too."

see?

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i'm a namer, but that's cause i think everything has a personality, everything has some life to it. i'm one of those who like to believe even inaminate objects think and feel at times. my car always seemed to work better when it had a name. my stuffed animals seemed to smile when i named them. smile

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
er....... i dont intentionaly name stuff

except my pint!!! it's called........

MINE!!!!

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
I name stuff occasionally. My house is actually called Pete.

"Shall we go to Pete?"
"Yea sure.."

smells like burning teenagers..

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
hahaha I love this thread!

I name things, our house is Leaning House. I name other peoples things too, usually their cars, accidentally. I find it utterly bizzarre that other people havent named their cars and spend the next half hour with them trying to figure out what their car should be called. Falloutboys car is named Bernard Brown Car because of this ridiculous habit of mine.. but both Fallout and Bernie seem to like it now...

I think also, the habit of naming things may be slightly contagious? I think if you hang out with someoen who has a neat name for their car/house/whatever, it somehow inspires you to name your own? possumly...

Currently on the right side up of the world.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Im a namer... My last car was called Faithy... because when you got into her you needed to have faith that you were going to get there...

the Kombi is called Mogwai

all of my stuffed animals have names.. *tiny teddy, tumbalina teddy and twinkle teddy (thats a family) funshine, Mukluk, baby pooh, deefa, etc etc*

the computer is called Bob.

all my fire gear has names... smile

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
i've never been a naming type person, a car is a car is a car, a computer is a plastic box with electricity inside it...inanimate objects don't scream out to me to be named...

however redface

in the last few weeks I have been known to call something by it's full and proper title confused biggrin

e.g., if I'm having a drink, it might be from the water bottle of refreshment, or a sit on the couch of softness, or a look in the fridge of plenty... ubbrollsmile ubblol

greyedgeSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
I was told that I had to name my guitars, it's like a tradition or something. I tried naming them, but I could never remember the names. They were girl names. I tried naming my truck, but it didn't work. The only name that has stuck is the name of my skunk pelt on my dumbek strap... his name is Stinky...

"I always knew I was a pyro..."

MissEgyptologyBRONZE Member
officially expelled from BYU
195 posts

Posted:
It makes life so much more interesting to name things.

"Tim, stop sassing me!" Tim is my lappy
"Joey, where are you, time to go!" Joey is my unicycle
"Time to sweep, has anyone seen Chet?" Chet is the broom at work.

Not only does it provide for interesting conversation and funny looks, but it's so much better than saying "Boo, my computer doesn't work!" or "Where is my poi!" Of course, naming can be taken to an extreme. I live in college dorms and my neighbors named their breasts. That's really crossing the line of awkwardness....

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

Thanks, NYC,but I quit mormonism now XD

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
I name a few things, like my pipes name is wesley pipes ( like in half baked)my car is named sakuya (from tenchi)my mom is named bitch

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

ScRuFfY - Fetish for flamesMember
42 posts

Posted:
i name things.... my puta is called... i forgot....oh thats right nope lost it.... i always forget but all of my stuff have a name allocated to them... oh and i have a habbit of giving friends new names all the time too... my mums car is call matilda... she nevers stops talking about that one...my staff is call sticky...and my poi r name less...neone have ne ideas?

ScRuFfY- FeTiSh FoR FlAmEs:
live life, succeced, crash, burn then die

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
one set of poi named "sunny and cher" (sunny's on the right, cher's on the left)
annother set of poi named "batman and robin" (same deal)
a third set named "titania and oberon" (same deal)
a devil stick named "floyd"
a computer named "deep thought"
a foot named "gregory"

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

ilsanyamanic over a fence
798 posts

Posted:
gutiar called "larry"
drum kit called "ted"
flute called "carmen"
piano called "abraham"
violin called "elanor"
mum's car is "lucile"
dad's car is "trevor"
lawnmower called "gertrude" or "mother f***er" (depending on your mood)

also have names for clothes (yeah i know its wierd). my sister and i borrow each others clothes a lot and it is so much easier to ask for "stripy" or "badger" than say " can i please borrow the little jacket with the stripes down the sleves" or "do you still have my trench coat? no not that one, the one with the badges on it"

Quid Pro Quo
5|>00|\|5 /-\|^3 <00|!

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I name things but usually very obvious names...like my car is a Toyota Sera so I call her Sarah.

My favourite stuffed toy who I sleep with at night is called Panda (and yes it is a panda stuffed toy) oh how original.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
today i named my new rope dart bruiser. i got a bruise from rope!? how can that happen. i also got more from the hard rubber dog toy on the end but thats to be expected.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
I swear at things a great deal, so I guess you could argue that all those words ending in -er were names.

Probably not though.

Actually I do then to talk to inanimate objects, just not address them by name : /

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
i seem to remember having a conversation with my friend last year, where we named our boobs. Hers were bill and bob, cant remember what mine were called, shall have to give them new names!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
boobs should have girls names

or fluffy toys names

i've always though about it like thus

bits and bobs

girls have bits and boys and bobs

meet bob...

ubblol

sorry

Love is the law.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
ubblol ado-p stop being a hussy! ubblol

I don't name stuff very often unless its something I really love. My Staff from Mech is called Ouch, mainly becuase everytime I spin it I say ouch a lot (or words to that effect)

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i name stuff. but not important stuff - it tends to go the other way - i get really attatched to stuff i've named.

i'm worryingly attatched to Boris the lighter (although he was a present from my liddle bro)and have an obscene number of things named Brian - it's my favourite name ever.

i think i'm in the 4th category not mentioned above of people who name things Brian. smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Stormy, Queen of VodkaThe HoP Industrial Rainbow Fairy
385 posts

Posted:
Ipod called squish (cause I always manage to sit on it in my pocket and catch the corner on my bum frown )
Car called lego (cause apparently it looks like it's made of lego bricks)
Laptop is called poo (cause it is a pile of the aforementioned)
Teddies named Stitch, big headed dog, sniffles, mr fluffy puff and spandex froggle
and my slippers are called bacon and egg (they're lil doggies)
my grey wool dread falls are called sheepy1 and 2
and finally, my sexy bag is called spongebob (cause it actually IS a spongebob squarepants character bag)

I'm a namer, I name EVERYTHING!!! *deranged laugh* ubblol

†.You've got invisible fangs and cherry nun bangs,
Your erotic cabaret is non stop
You're wearing too many belts
And I bet they leave welts
Shut up and dance cause I wanna pop.†

Stormy, Queen of VodkaThe HoP Industrial Rainbow Fairy
385 posts

Posted:
could get a bit confusing spanner biggrin but funny just the same

Barry don't stop now it's only a few miles to a petrol station!

Ergh barry just crashed whilst in the middle of posting on HoP

I was spinning barry and it hit me in the face

ubblol

†.You've got invisible fangs and cherry nun bangs,
Your erotic cabaret is non stop
You're wearing too many belts
And I bet they leave welts
Shut up and dance cause I wanna pop.†

EpsilonKiasNote to self... Fur + Fire = Hurt.
107 posts

Posted:
I name my sock poi and my fire poi... But thats it =/

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i only name stuff that i talk to

i had a car called Billy-Bob but it was stolen frown

my double staffs are called Castor & Pollux, the heavenly twin stars from the constellation of Gemini. being a Gemini i thought the names were quite appropriate, but much to my delight i recently discovered that according to the Greek myth, Castor & Pollux were born from an egg!!! biggrin how's that for a happy little coincidence ubbrollsmile

i have a birthmark on my thigh that looks like a elephant from my angle. it's got a tiny little mole right where his eye should be and all. his name's Ned smile

there's a keyboard duster on my desk called Mr Snuffeluffegus

i have a lucky scarab that i picked up in Egypt about 15 years ago named 'Walter the dung beetle'

ubbrollsmile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

MissEgyptologyBRONZE Member
officially expelled from BYU
195 posts

Posted:
As a follow up...
yesterday my friend was over and we were going through names of things, and we realized that I had a lot of unnamed objects. And it got really out of control...it was intense. My poi now have full names; first middle and last. it's intense.

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

Thanks, NYC,but I quit mormonism now XD

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
wow, three names, that is serious.

maybe you should thinking about getting some kind of help? or maybe this will do... hug

TS. XxX

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

BrushFireFairynewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Written by: pounce

i'm a namer, but that's cause i think everything has a personality, everything has some life to it. i'm one of those who like to believe even inaminate objects think and feel at times. my car always seemed to work better when it had a name. my stuffed animals seemed to smile when i named them. smile

I would say no, i dont name stuff. However, like pounce, i do sometimes get the impression that inanimate objects think or feel. Like, the other day, a chair in my house seemed to be begging to be sat on. It just had this air about it... So i sat on it.

Page: