Page:
i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I need something good to read that has pictures because reading regular books has all the fun sapped out of it by overloaded school time. I've had the SIN series and Sandman series recomended to me by friends, and I'd kinda like some other suggestions for good graphic novels / "comic books" out there.

So... anyone read anything good lately?

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
jhonnen vasquez does good work, with johnny the homicidal maniac and squee!.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
I'd also recomend Sandman although they can be as intensive as a novel

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i have to echo Sandman. the series is incredible.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Johny the Homocidal Maniac is freaking AWSOME! I love those books.. was introduced to them by a friend some time ago. I love dark humor. The one where he goes to heaven is hillarious... head explody powers... nice...

I guess I'll have to really go pick up some Sandman books... Everyone seems to love those...

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
oh good, not those kind of graphic novels

had me worried for a minute there wink

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
LMAO i was gonna say Johny the Homocidal maniac!!!!

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
yeah, jthm is totally awesome. as is the sandman. graphic novels are totally hardcore

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Barry Ween is also ace if you can find him

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
They keep teasing me every few years by saying there's gonna be a "Watchmen" script kicked around but it's always a tease.

I've always talked about being rorschach for Halloween but nobody would get it.
Non-Https Image Link

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SeraphireHoP's Original Smelly-Hippie-Scum-Bag
270 posts

Posted:
On the note of JTHM.. I do believe there are Invader Zim comics, and a graphic novel or two somewhere. It's not as macarbe, morbid, or eerie as Johnny, but its a larf.

Music gives Soul to the Universe, Wings to the Mind, Flight to the Imagination and Life to Everything.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE! hug

dsei.org Stop The Arms Trade!

Stormy, Queen of VodkaThe HoP Industrial Rainbow Fairy
385 posts

Posted:
Johnny does indeed kick some ass. I ordered some more comix t'other day, just not satisfied with the director's cut alone! There's also a spin off comic, Squee with that series. Lenore's meant to be quite funny too. I'd recommend JTHM and Squee though biggrin

†.You've got invisible fangs and cherry nun bangs,
Your erotic cabaret is non stop
You're wearing too many belts
And I bet they leave welts
Shut up and dance cause I wanna pop.†

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
rolleyes

Whys every1 calling em graphic novels?

Whats wrong with comic books? Is there any difference?

shrug

Id recommend Tank Girl, Gloom Cookie (cutesy and gothic)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Well, I said graphic novels because I consider the collected together books to be graphic novels, instead of the individual comic books that are collected therein. When most people think of comic books they think of the little, short stories in the stand next to the magazines in grocery stores. Graphic novels on the other hand collect all those into one work (as they SHOULD be, I stopped reading comic books in the first place because I was tired of waiting for a new installment every month. Its like when your favorite show is interupted every ten minutes by comercials.... I HATE that!)

So, anyway, thats why I said graphic novel. Not really a difference, just seemed to be the terminology that people are using nowadays... back when *I* collected comics I never would have made the distinction though.

-------

I've read a little bit of Squee, but didn't like it quite as much as I did jthm. After seeing a little bit of Invader Zimm on Nickolodean of all places, and immediatly recognizing the artwork style, Ive begun watching that when I see its on. Of course Im sure its a little more tame than the actual books its based on...

What about the Watchmen? I've read good things about it. Or has anyone read the Preacher series? It sounds like one right up my alley.

10,530 posts

Posted:
I wud also recomend The Fabulos Furry Freak Brothers... biggrin tis a great comic bout three hippies who live together and get stoned biggrin Tis brill!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
id go with watchmen (very clever but messed up - ie not for minors :P) and sandman is excellent - you can also try manga if you dont mind reading backwards naruto, bleach, and trigun are all excellent smile

back

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
yay someone agrees with me *grin

back

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
David Mack- Kabuki series. Phenominal. I am a huge fan. The first one, Circle of Blood is very poetic and violent and exquisite artistically.

I also like the Harlequinn series, it's distorted but a really good read.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
i cant believe noone has said anything by

GRANT MORRISON

or

GARTH ENNIS

i highly recommend you check out the invisibles by grant morrison, or preacher by garth ennis..!

i could not yay and fluff them up enough..!

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Sandman every time

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Sandman
Preacher
Marvels and Astro City (not quite as dark, but both beautifully written with some stunning artwork)
Kingdom Come
V for Vendetta

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: StormFeather

Johnny does indeed kick some ass. I ordered some more comix t'other day, just not satisfied with the director's cut alone! There's also a spin off comic, Squee with that series. Lenore's meant to be quite funny too. I'd recommend JTHM and Squee though biggrin

Yeah Lenore is good, me likes a lot biggrin Roman Dirge also has one called Samurai Sloth that i really really really really really want to see, but some werid ass thing with distribution means you can't get any Roman Dirge in't UK for the time being!!

Will most definately have to try and get hold of some Johnny the Homicidal Maniac though as i haven't seen that

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
asterix :P - gotta love that french to english translated comic *grins* was my main reading between being 5 and about 7 (then i found LOTR)

back

10,530 posts

Posted:
is it bad if u still read asterix? biggrin

All this talk of sandman has me intrigued.

Just thought of the best one tho! The Lone Wolf and Cub series.

It rocks. Bout this lone ronin block and his son going round assinating peeps. Real confusnig, but gr8 non the less biggrin

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yeh frd smile
the films rock too - the first two are what they made shogun assassin out of innit.
on a very slightly related note, i saw the remake of zatoichi the other day.
that *seriously* kicks [censored] biggrin

good comics/graphic novels then:

batman: arkham asylum (what got me started)
the '100 bullets' series
'midnight nation' mini series
powers
absolutely anything by alan moore
[censored] samurai
whiteout
the 'hellboy' series
rising stars
cages

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

10,530 posts

Posted:
bounce Zatoichi rocks, dont it biggrin

I got the dvd special edition 4 my bday... joy! Havnt watched it 4 a while. I may just watch it tonight biggrin

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I was wondering if there was a Shogun Assassin / Lone Wolf connection (not having read the comics). Very, very trippy film to watch on shrooms biggrin

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i'd recomend anything by alan moore, ronin ids good to (nothing to do with the film), i can't believe no one has suggested akira yet it is f##king awesome. also alan martin and jamie hewletts tank girl is a lagh

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Yeah Lenore is good, me likes a lot biggrin Roman Dirge also has one called Samurai Sloth that i really really really really really want to see, but some werid ass thing with distribution means you can't get any Roman Dirge in't UK for the time being!!

I can't believe there is a Roman Dirge comic that i don't know about! eek Where can i get this...stupid UK...I NEED this! (not that i'm a huge roman dirge fan or anything!)

I heard that Roman Dirge and Johen Vasquez (JTHM) sometimes release comics under different names...does anyone know anything about this?

edit: i just put a pic of my lenore tat in my gallery biggrin
EDITED_BY: .:star:. (1118349336)

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I would HIGHLY recommend "Blade of the Immortal".It's the best graphic novel series I have ever read.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
star - you can't miss much dirge news if you check spookyland or slg's website regularly.

not sure about dirge writing under other names but i do know that he wrote some invader zim stuff for nikelodeon smile

and if you ever have trouble getting hold of a comic book in the uk, i can recommend midtown comics - very friendly, established, new york comic shop that does well-packed international delivery (obviously you have to buy a few books to make paying for the postage worth it but they are *very* handy for getting hold of back issues of stuff too so its not hard finding more books to buy! smile ).

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: