Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Please help!!! How do you actually do flowers?!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
confused Please someone help!

I've read all the previous threads so please don't direct me to them!

How do you actually do flowers?!

What is the breakdown of the movement of your arms? confused

THANK YOU!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
you should ALWAYS have somebody with you, if only to be able to call 911 when it actually does go wrong.
I never light up alone, and I carry a fire blanket and foam extinguishers if I do light up (and a mobile phone).
there are some articles about fire safety here on HoP: read them.

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

rrrrrgr.... I swear it's impossible with glowsticks... maybe my sock poi but glowsticks -

RAWR!

Oh snap. Jo's gonna kick your A$$. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: munkypunks

I've never seen anyone light themselves on fire - well, burn themselves badly, I mean - but I figure with murphy's law as soon as I practice actual fire by myself, I'll be up in flames. Is it safe?

People tend not to post the videos of them hurting themselves badly. It's not as cool. Yes, it absolutely happens. No, firespinning is not 'safe'.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
I figured it wasn't safe. The two women I take lessons with say that it isn't, but I was hoping that someone was going to say once you know what you're doing, it's fine. I've seen probably over a hundred people do it live, where they can't edit out the accidents, and still I've never seen anyone get hurt. (Obviously, they weren't alone.) It's just depressing not being able to light up. But not to worry, when people as experienced as those here say don't do it, I won't. I'm not going to be the first person to post a barbecue.

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, Im certainly not encouraging you to do it, but I sometimes light up alone. Its true that when you know what youre doing, its less dangerous than if you dont, but no matter how good you are there's still a chance of an accident which could end in death. Its just a matter of weather or not youre willing to take that chance.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

munkypunksGOLD Member
367 posts

Posted:
Looking at your reg. date and my reg. date, I'm thinkin' that my "know what you're doing" factor is not where it needs to be yet. Considering that the first time I lit up, I was so excited I forgot to hold the handles right and actually dropped one....dropped, not thrown, didn't come anywhere close to hurting anyone, just a stupid newbie move. So I think I'll wait....

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Munkypunks...

For people f**king up..

RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE AS

https://www.theworldofsmall.com/PartMinusOneInAnInverseTrilogy5Mb.wmv

smile

Enjoy.

munkypunksGOLD Member
367 posts

Posted:
UcoF~
Thanks! I haven't been able to view it yet (cuz I'm at work - shh!), but I will. These guys can't always be great, eh?

TKOFmember
44 posts

Posted:
smile

the end is nigh and now comence the time of the retarded badger

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
again, not encouraging anyone to light up alone but I do. I always make sure I'm at least close to somewhere i can get help, a neighbours house or something, and wear sensible clothing and cover my hair. I also don't do fancy tricks, making sure i only do ones I'm absolutly sure of and know i can get out of.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I always make sure I'm at least close to somewhere i can get help, a neighbours house or something

::doorbell::
Door opens
"Hi Mr. Jones! Im on fire, you think you could put me out?"
ubblol

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
ubblol yeah my brother was safety for me the other day and just laughed when i caught alight [nothing huge just a spot on my leg, typical brother tongue]

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
yeah, never do it alone, the poi gods will think youre being cocky and proceed to hit you in the face or crotch, neither of which is very funny with fire

but back to the flowers, I know these things look awesome in pics, but how do they look in live action?

im not knocking em, ive just never seen one done in person, so im just asking...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
If you've seen my stolen video here on HoP, or for a better example Nick's dervishly yers, you've seen plenty examples of them. wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hee hee... now I've got you checking yourself even before I can. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
they look amazing in live action because they stretch and shrink your reachable poi-zone perfectly in rythm and you don't notice it's happened til it has - then if you play with the pendulum stalls within them (yay new vid of me will post one day!) they look simply magical....... Turning flowers looks like they aren't turning but you are - which is a little trippy smile

There are a few flowers towards the end of Strange Things Happen (hee hee) but that was when i first learned them so they don't flow as well as they should..... shrug Go watch Kael's vid biggrin

BACK TO FLOWERS......

Before learning antispin - maybe learn butterfly (opposite Direction) flowers?? And how to turn them...... both directions at different lockout points...... biggrin

........then learn antispin. So far I can only make my right hand antispin so i get half-antispin-fluffified-flowers ubbloco

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I've certainly found butterfly flowers easier than antispin flowers...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
'same direction arm bf flowers' with poi meeting in the middle on every beat are super-hardcore - *loads* of timing changes needed.

*runs off cos his flower arranging abilities are still on the low side*

[ooh - there's a nice title for garthy's next video smile]

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

'same direction arm bf flowers' with poi meeting in the middle on every beat are super-hardcore - *loads* of timing changes needed.

*runs off cos his flower arranging abilities are still on the low side*

[ooh - there's a nice title for garthy's next video smile]

Nah I was thinking "Spinning in Bens towel" Or something along those lines biggrin ubblol

*****Breaths in*******

Got a butterfly flower with double pendulem turny thing in to antispin bf flower that I think I tried to explain to everyone I saw at falmouth what I wanted to achive but couldn't but then managed to hit myself quite badly in the face so now I'm not doing flowers but then I read the first bit of colemans post and ran off to try that and it's officially "Uber-Core"

****Takes a breath*****

Oh and spank spank spank to Glass, Coleman anf Fluffy for having a hidden flower discusion! :grr: tongue

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
not exactly hidden.........

ubbangel

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
Written by: munkypunks

My problem is that my poi are not rotating forward; they end up rotating one forward and one horizontal, usually at the 6/12 position. This is an operator error due to the inability to watch both hands at the same time. One that I hope will resolve simply with more practice so that these rogue hands do not need to be constantly monitored.

Ola munkypunk!

you don't have to watch both hands at the same time, concentrate on the one which goes horizontal and train it till it rotates properly forward, the other hand which already goes forward will work by itself!

love, tina rolleyes

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

munkypunksGOLD Member
367 posts

Posted:
thanks! it's getting better. my flowers now look like they're drawn by a 1st grader instead of a toddler.

AntiwormGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:

Antispin flowers with 5 petals aren't exactly easy... hence why you really DON'T want to refer to my avatar.

Do Antispin flowers look any different from normal flowers when seen in a long-exposure photo ( such as in your avatar )?

AntiwormGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:
To clarify, i didn't even consider that your avatar may have been antispin until you said it was. Of course i take your word that it is antispin, but i just didn't imagine there would be a difference in appearance. But i don't have much experience with flowers and up until 15 minutes ago, didn't know what they were called ( though i should have guessed! ).
It is beautiful by the way.

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
It may be my fault for being entierly dumb but i learn stuff from waching it and i REALLY dont understand poi moves when people tell me what to do so.....

do any of you have a video of someone doing a flower in your gallery

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
ah! seems like years since I posted this!

No your not dumb at all - obviously just learn better visually than verbally.

animated diagram here

and you can actually see someone do flowers below. Yous should watch this video anyway- it's great! the flowers start at 0.55
Then theres an antispin flower at 2.37, where the arms rotate backwards and the poi spin forwards. Theres some more as well, but I'll let you find them yourself!

Dervishly Yers

hope that helps!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posted:
omg i know that you psted this like two years ago but i just started spinning balls (lol) like a week ago and i cannot do a flower for anything. grr!! please help!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Have you tried reading the instructions contained in this thread therein?

It may be a two year old thread, but the information doesnt change. smile

ubbrollsmile

Posted:
my flowers are STILL hopeless, but thanx for posting everything, it helped a little

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Wow! I'd forgotten about this one!

I've you've only been spinning for a week, then its perfectly natural to be struggling with these moves. It takes a lot of time and practice to perfect poi moves.

I suggest you click on the tab at the top called 'free lessons' and take a look there for some help.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page: