mr squirrelmember
37 posts

Posted:
so, for many moons now (well, a bit of a moon...) ive been trying to get my head round tracer wraps. iver read about them, found a few discussions about them, and the more i read the more confused i become. now, the same thing happened with hyperloops, but their dark magic was absorbed into my mind. however, no such breakthrough seems imminent here. if any of you kind people can point me towards a video or an explanation that you feel makes more sense than the war in iraq, i would be very, very grateful
nibble

did i leave the iron on?

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
there's a nice thread called basic wrap theory.. works up to and through tracers..

if you want the mickey mouse version... PULLEY.... instead of spinning the poi , pull the poi.. you can pull in a straight line but you need points to pull around (like a pulley) to get it to make turns.. (hint this point can be anything from body parts to string.. )

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

mr squirrelmember
37 posts

Posted:
ahh rev, but it is that thread (and you) who i understandeth not!!!! im trying to translate you at the moment into french on [s] and have reached a block. first i was thrown by some discussion of letting go of the handle and pulling the poi head... then i was confused by the instruction to take the tension out of the string and do some devilry. and then i was confused about the part that says to pull your arms apart, because surely that created tension in the string.
confused nibble

did i leave the iron on?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ok, look. Take your poi and do a normal wrap (say on your fore arm). As soon as it hits your forearm, loop the chain once more around your arm so that it now has to go around your arm once before it is unwrapped (instead of the usual bouncing off).

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yup. What he said. So the wrap doesn't immidiately recoil. It dies wraped around you, then you slowly slide it around the limb again and finally off.

It always reminds me of those little furry worm toys with the fishing wire that you wrap around your finger and pull the string and they look like they're crawling over your hand.

But I'm weird like that.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mr squirrelmember
37 posts

Posted:
right, i understand it now. (seems i was a little impatient last night). but in the process, i did this: once you wrap the poi round your arm twice you can let go of the sring, bob your arm up and down, making the poi string slip on your arm and not release for a few beats. you can also wrap, let go, bob, and then catch the poi as it releases, and then wrap them again.
EDITED_BY: mr squirrel (1111845923)

did i leave the iron on?

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
ok.. I thought you wanted traces.. not releases...

you don't let go with a trace..

and I offered my help already with translating into french.. I know enough to read it.. which isnt far from writing it.. you'd just have to correct the grammar a bit..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
That would be a contact poi release... yes.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

mr squirrelmember
37 posts

Posted:
rev - cheers, i [picked up on my error, realising the release bit. i was confused from the [s] thread where there was a reply talking about letting go of the string and holding the poi head. i have also misundersood taking the slack out of the string, thinking for some reason it meant letting the string go loose, rather than pulling it tight. oops. foolish. i will be sending you the translations but the only pc i have tha connects to the net refuses to believe it has word intalled and mocks me at every turn. peace

did i leave the iron on?

fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
and this hapens whithout burnig your self how?

the Only good way to quit smoking is to cut your arms off, but then how would you drink coffee?

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
wear leather or jeans (denim/cotton) and do it around your knee/neck/arm fast enough.

Have no fear and practice without fire first.

wink

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
...Says the guy spinning glow sticks rolleyes

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
I have a video of me doing it with my friend's tubecore loaded online. PM me for the linkage. I also have a neck trace, but it's still sitting on my camcorder.

wink

Tracing with coleman's white gas has been a unique experience to say the least. If I don't kill myself NYC will. ubblol

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Neck tracers with tube cores and white gas? Jesus, you do have a death wish.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
well, the neck trace was with my cathedrals and white gas

isn't that worse?

I'll have it online in a week, though I'd hate to put it public. I pull a "oh shiz!" look. I'm sticking to lamp oil from now on.

wink

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
theas tracer rap thing sound like they would look cool if you mix them up with a full ttn turn ubbloco beerchug ubbloco

the Only good way to quit smoking is to cut your arms off, but then how would you drink coffee?