Forums > Social Chat > Apprehensions and first burns

Login/Join to Participate

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
I am doing my first burn on saturday . My question is this. How do you get over the apprehension and nervousness? I have been really nervous about it, and it seems to be growing the closer to the date I get. Any advice?
Ashia

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
my advice:

Practice with your eyes closed! know your moves inside out backwards upside down, and then everyother way too!
most of all, just enjoy it, Its hypnotic, its beautiful and its addictive....
heck, if it wasnt any good, would we all still be here?

Edit: i forgot to say. fear is a good thing too, it keeps you smart, and safe. Remember to have a safety with you, wet towel, keep your kero stash covered ect. AND HAVE FUN! god! the first burn is awesome... `

[ 20 September 2002, 18:38: Message edited by: Flynt ]

Currently on the right side up of the world.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
best way to get over being nervous is lite them puppies up.

ahh, first time is the best.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
yup, nothing like fire to get you used to fire. Most people come off their first burn with lots of adrenilin and are very bouncy for a while after. And monkey-brain will make you just about jump out of your skin the first time you lock up your chains. I was nervous too after 3 or 4 months of practicing, but once inside, I was an instant addict. Just remember to stop when you start feeling tired, 'cause that is when you'll get hurt.

And if anything should go wrong, don't flail around. Just stop and let your safety take care of you. They can't help you if they can't get to you.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
oh yeah - good luck!

(don't worry, you'll do fine!)

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
And do keep in mind if it's the burns you're worried about - you got 2 things working to your advantage.

1) Poi bounce off ya and don't really leave more than a little soot mark, the only burns I've ever sustained came from the wire I used to bind up my wicks getting hot and leaving a little singe...

2) The audience is unaware of #1, and thus seeing you bounce a poi off your skin makes them think yu're incredibly tough and confident. Even messing up looks cool with fire!

Best wishes to ya my friend, I'm sure your performance will rock the house.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
have a friend stand by your side, ready to take your poi if you get tired / worried in the middle of your burn ... trust me, you'll rather be super excited and want more of that wonderful wooosh ... But to know that there is someone ready to take the poi and so you can stop whenever you want is like a safety net

that being said ... Do have a Safety person AS WELL around you, always

and then, baby : ENJOY and let that woooosh sing its song in your ears

Sharing the excitement and knowing the grin on your face very soon

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Huiamember
61 posts

Posted:
The thing is not to think to hard about what your doing, rathr let your reflexes and mechanical self twirl..it really does help..another ting,,for the stoners here, is smoke yourself a nice big j..it is even easier.

Loving your life...loving your planet...loving yourself.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Sorry if I am going to sound awfully strict here ...

But I really don't beleive in spinning fire wasted, high, stoned or drunk ... especially when there are people around... have had too many bad experiences mainly with drunks but also people on Acid... and I really never want to live those moments again .

just my opinion though

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Huiamember
61 posts

Posted:
Thats cool, each to their own but Im not a drug person, just the odd j and in my opinion, it helps.Thats crazy spinning on acid- what a fricking idiot.

Loving your life...loving your planet...loving yourself.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Safety is obviously the major concern when spinning with fire for the first time

Take your time, spin slowly to begin with and dont try anything that you arent happy doing

Apart from that I am sure you will have loads and loads of fun! It is addictive so be careful! The sound and light make it sooo much fun

P