Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > b-fly hyperloop wraps and direction changes

Login/Join to Participate

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
feel free to re-direct this post to a previous one, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in a search shrug

So, was playing with various butterfly hyperloops - in my understanding there are 4 basics right? Forewards in 2 directions and bkwrds in 2 directions ubbrollsmile

So, then started playing with stopping both poi heads on my hands to do a direction change into the reverse butterfly hyperloop of what you started with. woop. mucho coolio me likey mucho ubblove

So, then started playing with stopping both, throwing them off for the direction change, then wrapping one head again to go into a weave-type airwrap. ubbloco weeee! fun. (then the obligatory... ohh lets try that in all 4 directions.... eek )

SO, then started figuring out all sorts of silly combinations: b-fly hperloop - double stop - double stop the other way - single stop - buzzsaw hyperloop - double stop - buzzsaw hyperloop the other way - double stop - single stop - etcetcetc you get the idea! cool meditate

wanted to share my thoughs smile Well, I had fun bounce
Any comments/more silly combo suggestions? How about fun with turning 180° and 360° with b-fly hyperloops? Haven't quite got there yet, but...... rolleyes practice practice practice rolleyes

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Elasta you little Nutella monkey.....you steel all my moovs right out from inside my head AND across the globe rolleyes ubblol I'm gonn ahve to get that webcam removed tongue

Have tried a few thing with these, might take a while to type.......

As I'm sure everyone has noticed, when you butterfly you tend to have one slightly above the other. In butterfloops change direction keeping the same poi as the 'highest' is critically important for getting back out of it successfully.

Stalling one....can be tricky, or rather, tricky to carry on nicely. Turning 90' is nice as you can go straight into a really nice continuous (oli-ish) hyperloop. Gotta watch where you're going tho cuz if one goes through buzsaw and the other from outside to outside youget hellish knots to undo.

Butterfloop turns - Another tricky one as you really have to watch where each poi are going, if you turn them outside to outside it's not to bad but if you have one coming through the buzzsaw area it's a real pain to undo the knot. Not impossible, but sooper tricky when you're still trying to maintain momentum. (yes I know I'm repeating myself, it's early!) Oli is pretty sh*t hot at these tho so when he gets back I'm sure he'll have somethin to contribute. They're on some of his vids too if you look closely.

One Handed - When they're in continuous buttefloop you can grab both handles with one hand and muck about with that. eg....one handed butterfloops go into one handed weaves with a single poi tap back really nicely and back into butterfloop again.

Rossco showed me a really cool move where you pass them from side to side by going over your head. Arms out stretched with the pass between hands directly above your head. Watch your timing and your face tho!

Butterfloop throws - dunno if you've tried these much Loz but if you have you'll have noticed that the butterfloop tangle is a great knot for keeping them tied together in the air. You can basically throw them as high as you like and they won't undo, best of all the handles stay as the centre of rotation so once you get the timing/power/direction right you can get nice throws with pirouettes for loveliness smile

That's all I can muster for now, I'm sure there's more but I'm waaay too excited about Falmouth to think properly cuz I leave today! bounce

ooooh! *duncans final thought* Isolated butterfloops. Pointless but fun all the same. I'm sure you can figure it out but I carry on anyway.....same time as they go up your hand goes down and visa versa. Plus split time side to side.

*edit* Just remembered these are in Durbs 'Trying' Video if you wanna watch it

ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: Dunc (1111665862)

Let's relight this forum ubblove

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Rah, something I know about! There are a whole bunch of different ways of entering bfloops...

Outside entries (easiest for bf airwraps) - fwd top/bottom, rev top/bottom

Inverted entries from bf buzzsaws (easiest for hyperloops) - fwd top/bottom, rev top bottom

By top and bottom I mean whether you start the tangle at 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock - both are possible in each direction, one tends to be easier though.

For turning hyperloops the key is just the same as with normal loops - each poi head goes between your arms once as you turn. It's easiest to start from a bf buzzsaw I've found - start doing fwd bf in front of you, go into wall plane bf buzzsaw on your right side, tangle at 6 o'clock so your left poi head comes up between your arms, bring the tangle across your body so the left poi comes out of your arms and the right poi head goes over and between your arms, keep moving the tangle and you should exit into a perfect wall plane bf buzzsaw on your left side.

The trick is all in keeping your hands locked relative to each other as you move the tangle and timing. If you can get it right then both poi should remain almost completely in the wall plane all the way through smile And when you're in the middle you can then "bounce" the tangle and keep it going indefinitely...

Perhaps easier to begin with is fwd bf in front, push the right poi forward and into a tangle at 6 o'clock and then bring it over to the left to exit into a bf buzzsaw - useful for getting the feel of it and getting the planes right.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
cool, thanks for the help with turning - will go and try those out today biggrin I guess that would lead to even more silly stops too: with turning 180°bfloop, stopping them before it comes out and reversing the turn back etc smile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

ChuckSnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Seems like the perfect oppertunity to drop this in...

If you do a continuous outside/inside/outside/... bf airwrap, it turns out that the poi are doing something very very similar to a buzzsaw hyperloop. So similar in fact that you can go straight into one from the other hehe. I think that it is actually just the planes that are different.

This was actually how I learned to do an infinite buzzsawloop because I couldn't get my head round it until I saw realised they were the same.

ChuckS

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
The planes are different - in a bfloop the heads travel roughly in the same plane as the bit between hands and tangle, in a normal one they're generally at 90 degrees. And of course, one is going in the other direction in a bfloop wink

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
bfloop ubblol I keep reading it as bee-floop! I think they should be called b-floops biggrin

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Beef loops? Like onion rings, but made with cow?

mmmm cow.. tongue

Just took a look at the whole bunch of alien terminology in this thread. I anticipate several more sleepless nights studying poi..

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
cow ish goooood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Butterfloops is how I sort of read it smile

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Beef Loops?! I like it! wink

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
the wraps and direction changes are where i am with these now too. hot stuff, for sure. you say 4 basics, but i think there's at least 8 basics (with infinite variation). there's the forward/reverse distinction (whether you count the right or left hand going overhanded as 'forward' doesn't matter much), 12/6 distinction (though there's also 3/9 split time, and everything else in between in non-plane/non-time), and top/bottom (in either direction, either hand can be on top since you've got an extra degree of freedom over outside bfly w/ the arms out of the way). this is basically just a compilation of what spiralx and dunc said above. when you add that all in with inside/outside combinations, double and single wraps, 'barrel rolls' and isolation, there's literally no time for me to do much else right now. =( well, that and OTH, BTB, and UTL, and WW bfly outside tangles. wink

also, if you notice a weave/buzzsaw-like essense, it's because a b-fly airwrap is really a corkscrew airwrap with really odd planes. at least, corkscrew turns directly into vertical butterfly for me easier than wall-weaving -- i guess it depends on how you start off.

holy crap, i just realized horizontal butterfly insides should have another extra degree of freedom somewhere, shouldn't it?? as in, you can double wrap from the forward bfly either starting either above or below the arms. so that's 16 basics somehow since the top/bottom distinction is now inside/outside (warning: reused terminology)?? i hate posting from work w/ no poi in sight...

-- dut

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
woah.

well, I'm not quite there yet. I just thought 4 basics was about right, because they are 4 distinctly different movements. The 12/6 distinction, split time etc are IMO variations on the basic moves... but i have to admit, I don't understand what you mean by inside/outside combinations confused so am happy to be told there are more basics than I originally thought - and not in the least suprised! rolleyes

I love poi and all its intricacies!