• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 12
squarefish
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
Total posts: 403
Posted:Hellloooo
some of you may know the nice subtle sparky effect that Titanium flake can give your poi.
What I want to know is this:
What mesh size is best and which company do you get your supplies from?
Decent price?

nice one folks wink

Gnor
Gnor

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 5814
Posted:The Goose mixes his titanium flakes from ickle to flakes in a secret family recipe. That you may have to pry out of him with thumbtacks or by simpy talking to him. wink ubblol
You can also try iron filings. Im told they work as well. For me much cheaper as I go to the shed with a big magnet in a bag and pick up a heap.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Dexta
Dexta

burner
Total posts: 90
Posted:Soooooooooo....I can give you the low-down on titanium as I know it....

In Western Australia, in order to get titanium powder (flake - same thing) you need to have a West Australian Theatrical Pyrotechnics License. The titanium powder is one of the main ingredients in pyrotechnics so you buy it from a pyrotechnics supplier. To buy it in large quantities (as we do) you need the pyro license. To on-sell it in small quantities (like 200g) you don't need the license as the buyer. (Does that make sense?)

The laws may be more relaxed in the US and UK as pyros can be bought over the counter without a license so maybe titanium powder can as well.

Your best bet is to call a pyrotechnics supplier and ask them about getting your hands on titanium powder.

As for size of flakes....they come in 4 grades (sizes) here, from almost dust to bits about 2mm wide. We've found that mixing the 3 smaller grades in equal parts works best. This is because when you just spin at normal speed the bigger bits fly off, when you spin faster the medium bits fly off and when you whack the fire toy on something the tiny bits fly off.

Incidently, if you whack a heap of the powder on poi they look like pyros when you spin them. Super cool on snakes!

If you're struggling to find a local supplier of the powder, email me at hana@fyredanz.com and I can supply you some in the right mix smile

Google "Fyregear" for great fire equipment.

ubersmack
ubersmack

journeyman
Total posts: 73
Posted:The US pyrotechnics supplier states that you do not need any sort of license nor is it a controlled material so there is no restriction on shipping it. Mixed with other materials is another story though....

"Runs with Scissors"

Gnor
Gnor

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 5814
Posted:Dexta is de man. Well de Woman. ubblove hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Hypnotic
Total posts: 44
Posted:On Sklyighter there are three chocices in size I think. The one you want is a mesh it says something like -40 or -60 or +40-60.
That should be good enough for you to figure it out. Though Skylighter is about a pain in the butt to get started. alot like getting insurance from "Specialty Insurance" flakes rock I would definately recomend.

Page: 12