comments?
questions?
rude gestures?

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

Stainless MunchkinMaster of the Munchkins
246 posts

Posted:
i reckon the cosmic rays could come from pulsars, i dont pretend to know much cos im only 16 but ive been told that they release the most energy out of everything in the universe. Or maybe the cosmic rays are like coming from parallel universes? trippy and sci-fi, i like it

Are you that clever that you smile forever? biggrin

What's from the Earth is of the greatest worth

Amber Flamesmember
58 posts

Posted:
I find 'the placebo effect' one really interesting. And I have a theory... Its probably really big headed of me to even try and come up with a theory but here goes!...

When you inject a substance into a person's bloodstream or muscle it causes an immune response, even if the stuff you are injecting is completely harmless like the saline solution. The body has an immune response to the substance because it is a foreign substance and the body tries to destroy it. You also have an immune response to your skin having a hole made in it and the body tries to repair it as quickly as possible.

The body therefore starts to 'concentrate' on the area of injection and a certain amount of signals from other parts of your body to your brain are blocked e.g. from the area where the pain is being inflicted in the experiment mentioned.

This works in all sorts of situations e.g. A hayfever sufferer can cure themselves if they swallow a hook-worm egg. (Hook-worms live in your intestines but do not cause any harm to you) Your body has an immune response to the hook-worms and stops having an immune response to the pollen - hayfever is cured because your body is 'concentrating' on the hook worms.

I have regular injections and have noticed that headaches/sore knee/hayfever etc go away for about 24 hours after the injection.

Big hole in my theory = how do placebo pills work? My theory does not take this into account!

Any thoughts anyone? Am I just talking a load of rubbish?

Axx

Usually me on fire (rather than flames being amber coloured)

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Thanks for posting that smile

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
about half of those shouldn't be there, but I am not going to go nit pick all of them, and instead just say that the new scientist is about the equivelent of a tabloid newspaper when it comes to science reporting. as a scientist I find the magazine a bit untasteful.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
can you just give us the numbers of the ones that you would say have satisfactory explanations vanize so we can ignore them? smile

and on a purely defensive tip wink i reckon new scientist is great - it isn't aimed at professional scientists and that's probably why you don't like it...

its name says it all for me - as a science student at pre-university level it made me go and look up a *lot* of stuff before i got to study them properly.

if any science magazine deserves the tabloid label, its 'focus'.

cole. x

oh yeah - cheers konsti hug2

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
vanize, to us scientifically challenged peoples this is interesting...

and as a political scientist and economist i cringe at about 90% i read in the newspapers, most of what i see on tv and mostly i cringe at the BS that people post on the internet.

i still try and laugh about it.......

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
i really like new scientist smile but im a crap scientist so that might explain it.

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Placebo effect is easy to understand.

When you'vwe inflicted pain on someone for so long, then given the morphine afterwards for a period of time. They come to believe that the saline you're about to inject into them is morphine, therefore their body has a reaction to that and the pain goes away.
Its like what Hitler did in the Haulocast - he amde a man watch him boil a kettle. Quickly, as the man didnt see, he changed the kettle around to one with cold water in it.
He poured the cold water over the terrified man - and it burnt his skin.

The anticipation is what changes the effect.

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
it is far too late at night and i got far too little sleep last night to actually follow what the hell is going on on that site! Konsti, how dare you try and make me think! spank

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

And all that's jazzBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Sakura_moon,

The placebo effect (unfortunately) isn't as easy as that (alack and alas, if only it were - the neuroscientists among us would all breathe easier). The key point in that article is not so much that the placebo effect existed as that it is BLOCKED by naloxone, a drug which blocks the morphine receptors in the neurons. If it was just a belief thing, the placebo effect would exist unchecked with or without presence of naloxone. As it is, the fact that naloxone blocks the effect suggests that the placebo effect must be due to some action of these receptors (or the neurons they are attached to), not just due to an expectation signal from the higher functioning cerebrum or hippocampus (brain areas).

And Amber Flames - I love your theory, an excellent piece of logic! Just one tiny problem I'm afraid - the pain response doesn't have anything to do with the immune system. Sorry! Pain signals are carried to the brain by neurons stimulated at the point of injury and running up to the brain; the drugs work not by interacting with the immune system but by stimulating receptors on these neurons that prevent them sending signals, thus preventing the 'pain' message getting through. you're certainly right about the hay fever point, but that is because hay fever is caused by the immune system overreacting to a pathogen. Sorry to put a hole in your theory!

As for myself, I have a half-formed theory (which I think may have a hole in it) but I have now to run to a Biochemistry lecture, and will have to post it up when I'm done

adios,

Jazz

C8H18 + 12.5O2 ---------> 8CO2 + 9H2O + you know what

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Best line ever!

"You cant give sick people tick-tacks" ubblol

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Amber Flamesmember
58 posts

Posted:
Thanks for putting me right there Jazz, I hadn't thought about that... I haven't done much neuroscience so great to read your thread, thanks.

Axx

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
RE: that study on the placebo effect.

sounds like a conditioned response to me - the body is conditioned to recieve mophine after the pain incident. there is fair evidence (though perhaps not widely accepted) that mophine can be produced naturally in the brain, and that this produciton can be increased by upping levels of chemical precursors in the body.

therefor it is possible that a body conditioned to receiving morphine under certain conditions may produce an elevated level of morphine precursors to prepare the brain for receiving the expected morphine flood more efficiently.

these same precursors would also cause an increase in the (postulated) natural morphine production in the brain.

Therefor the placebo effect in this case would not be a true placebo effect, but rather a physiologically conditioned response to stimuli that causes increased natural morphine production.

which would explain perfectly why the morphine inhibitor still works like morphine is there - because it is, just not from an outside source.

of course all that reasoning depends on the natural ability of the brain to produce mophine, which is apparently a very debateable subject and not widely accepted.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Amber Flamesmember
58 posts

Posted:
But surely even if the brain can produce morphine then the effect that would be produced by injecting morphine would be the opposite to what you say...

The morphine injections aren't precursors and normally if you inject a naturally occurring substance into the body then the body stops producing it itself because it thinks it doesn't need to e.g. people who take too many e's stop producing seratonin naturally because their body has so much in it from the e's. The producers become 'lazy' and it can take many years for them to start functionally properly again. Another example of this is withdrawal from anti-depressants, it works exactly the same way...

So wouldn't it make more sense if the body stopped producing morphine because it has been injected rather than it producing more?

Axx