Forums > Other Toys > Two Devil Sticks...arrg!

Login/Join to Participate

Devilstick_RussellBRONZE Member
I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
Does anyone do two Devil Sticks? I've been learning two in the X-pattern and my friend can do two propellors but i was wondering if anyone has any tips for learning either way. I'm really basic at the X-Pattern (about 6 passes maximum then i drop them. Also any basic tricks I'm miles off but i like to have unrealistic asperations.

I saw this guy Tim Foolery do two Fire sticks on a 8 foot unicycle called penelopy and it made me cry tears of jelousy.

Does this site actually exist? Or am i talking to all my other personalities?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Have a look at:
https://www.devilstick.de/english/animationen/animation06.htm

Might help

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
Cheers buddy i'll have a goosy gandas. Nice beanie in your picture by the way, i'm wearing one exactly the same right now.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Here's the link to a double devil-stick FAQ I put up some time ago: -

[Old link]

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
The propellor pattern is generally considered easier to learn, and I think it's definitly less effort to sustain for long periods once mastered.

You said in the pm you're using flower sticks?

I did try, briefly, using flower sticks in the tick-tock 'X' pattern, and went back to devil sticks.

Admittedly they weren't the best flower sticks (home made and not identical weight), and I'm not going to say that flower sticks are necessarily not good for 'X' pattern.

But the thing that put me off is the size of the ends (the tassles). The 'X' pattern is always a compromise between the sticks being too close together (prone to clashing, which generally kills the pattern immediately), and too far apart (become impossible to control).

With devil-sticks, they tend to range over a certain limited distance apart- having big tassles on the ends seemed to be a problem.

Like I said, I'm not saying they won't work- I didn't persist long enough with them to conclude anything definite.

Certainly, if you do have success, or if you also work a bit with devil sticks (tassle-less), then let me know your opinions about the relative merits of flower vs. devil-stick for two in the 'X' pattern.

------------

Other than that, it's just regular daily practice. I'd say the difficulty of keeping two sticks going in the 'X' pattern would be approaching that of getting the basics of a five-ball cascade in juggling.

Nice thing about it though is that it's fairly physically undemanding- it's a good thing to practice between the stuff that tends to drain your energy.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
I don't have two equally wieghted Devil Sticks that arent broken I've got about seven sticks and they're all differnt types but i have two of the nicest flower sticks which are exactly the same wieght. One of them was my first ever stick so it seemed fitting to learn two with it. I don't know if you kow mushypea steve but he made them and i they are suede so easy to control.

ezeeckielmember
32 posts

Posted:
Hi Russell!

I don't have clues for you for the X pattern. I don't work on this one, but mostly on double propeller and variations. For the double propeller a good exercice is to pratice the propeller without looking at it, say in front of you, on sides etc...

Anyway, double devilstick is incredibly easier using flowersticks. Some french guys are already working on some siteswap (vid to come) with 2 DS. I'm working on siteswap with one ds, that's already enough !

Have you ever watched markus furtner (german) vids?

Salut !