Page:
pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hi all.
this started in the [Old link] and i was wondering, what exactly classifies a hippy.
Is it a state of mind, a fashion statement, people who just like hug, or something else.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
lol its all in the hair.............no im not really an old man with a tie lol.... i just found this pic and thought he is such a prick i just HAD to share it with everyone

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

_FSA_now comes with skydiving license
1,627 posts

Posted:
yeah some of my friends call me a 'hippy' coz im into the peace and environment stuff, even tho i dont have dreds so im not the steriotype, i think its what you believe not neccesarily what you look like.....
peace

Proudly owned by the very cute Pineapple Pete. Owner of Noddy. Joint owner of Mr Majestik.

greddyfirebratBRONZE Member
87 posts

Posted:
i grew up around hippys they just are man far out man they are cool people too cos when u talk to them they can say the funniest thing hug peace hug

fire is a living thing it can breath and it eats so respect the fire

prosparityfireSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
Why have hippies become a hallmark card? Are hippies just an image, or do they have some substance or purpose in their aims other than collecting Indian Techno and growing dreadlocks. Some speak of free love or live bands that reminisce Jerry Garcia and Pink Floyd, but where is the values of questioning and challenging the fundmental structures of society in to their inherent flaws and not just addressing an anti-thesis Utopia but real tangible solutions or destructions of destructive behavior, ie cigarettes, nursing homes, Mcdonalds, insurance companies the necessity of the poor in this society. Just cause you eat organic bread and have dread locks and talk about the government does this really constitute a hippie?

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Written by: _So_

brbrbrbr

Non-Https Image Link

Lol i have that poster in my room.

Come on guys, enough paranoia about the wannabee hippies. All of the hippies that i've met really do live by their ideals and it shines through. I don't really have a problem with labels either... it helps bring people with similar interests/ideals/personalities together.

Ahh i'd give anything to live in the sixties and seventies.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I've seen plenty of examples of what hippies do, without the realisation that why they do them is the real defining factor, and what seperates the real hippie from those who assume the look because it's the thing to do.

A lot of it comes down to not conforming with the rest of society. You don't need to look and behave like everyone else, and blindly follow society's beliefs and fashions, most of which are spoon fed to the masses through the corporate media. You probably don't own a TV or buy magazines, so you're not going to be influenced in that way. You're more likely to own a lot of books, and be better informed about the world through reading from a lot of sources.

You grow dreadlocks because you can't be arsed with all this endless washing and styling, not because it's a trendy look (and you don't go to a salon to get dreads, you just get dreads). Hair looked after itself fine before the likes of L'oreal, and so long as you stay away from smoky pubs and clubs, it doesn't need washing too often.

The clothes you wear you choose primarily for function. Comfort and utility are much more important than trying to look like some famous person, who has more money than sense.

Working out? Dieting? You look healthy because you live and eat healthily. Fat is what you get when you eat junk food all the time. You're more accepting of how people look anyway, and curves are so much sexier than the anorexic super model/film star look. If the blokes look buff it's because they do sports instead of watching them (and they're more likely to be self improving than competitive).

Musically anything could fit the bill, so long as it isn't aggressive or demeaning to certain groups, like a lot of hip-hop and heavy metal. You prefer live music because that's what performers should be payed for. You think there is something fundamentally wrong with performing once in a studio, then selling millions of copies at a huge markup.

The hippy look and world view has evolved and been integrated into so many other cultures that it doesn't really exist any more in it's original form, except for in those involved in the original movement in the 60s who haven't sold out. The defining factors are non conformity (so defining hippies based on a look is pointless), anti-corporate view and a much greater acceptance of peoples differences. You can get Christian 'hippies', Buddhist 'hippies', Hindu 'hippies' and even Islamic 'hippies', and they can all get along fine because they don't take their religion seriously enough to get tied up in intolerant dogma.

In fact they don't take much of anything seriously, instead they act like kids who haven't lost their wonder at the world around them, but have continued learning about it, as opposed to the miserable, critical people who've lost all interest in life beyond chasing after flashy commodities, ie. the chavs, with their widescreen TVs, sports cars and designer clothes.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
[Old link] Candy Raver Thread...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts
Location: In UK for now, but born an lived in ZIMBABWE and S...

Posted:
I wouldn't say i'm a hippie, but then i wouldn't say i'm not! I've had big big hippie influnces in my life(so i turned out ok!)
''what exactly classifies a hippy?'' ...... u can't define a hippie, nor can u define a 'non-hippie'' .... u just can't define

Saying that though people do stero type......

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
my mates call me a hippy cos i recycle and twirl fire
im an electrician with a skinhead who buys his clothes from Burtons and Next so in my eyes they are a mile off but it would seem hippydom is in the eye of the beholder so perhaps i am a hippy,
also i would like to say that many apparent hippies on closer inspection are just normal people with dreads and scruffy clothes and seem to have none of the social ideals i would normally associate with proper hippies
perhaps neil the hippy from the young onews could be a bench mark for all future hippies?

my mum is definatly a hippy and has been for a long time god bless her little hemp socks......................

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
tee hee...

I'm obsessed with styling my fauxhawk, eat red meat on a regular basis and spend most weekends down the pub.

But my mates all laughingly call me a hippy because I'm closer to it than they are... I hug trees (well, if I'm pissed) and refuse point blank to eat battery hen eggs, read up on all kinds of spiritual stuff and believe that the world can be a better place if we stop thinking about number one and start working together.

My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy in a lot of respects.. She's probably right.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
fauxhawk?????????????????????

yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
sad but true...

*ducks from rocks*

It makes me look taller.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: polarity

I've seen [and onwards...]

wow sunny grouphug

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
what is fauxhawk??????

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: tim_marston

what is fauxhawk??????

Imitation mohawk.
Sometimes you see prostheses(sp?) a la roman centurions, but more usually someone's taken their run-of-the-mill hairdo, ualally quite short, and squidged it up to a fan atop their crown. These crop up with disturbing frequency.
See also: dyed in mohawks in hair all the one length and Dear God please get a razor.

Owrry not though wonderloey, you may well get better. hug

Chucks nuns

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
You know what is really awesome? A beardhawk to compliment your mohawk.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
lol

643 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...*Considers* Could look cool... wink

Chucks nuns

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
Hmm.. should consider that.. I think its got genuine merit.. :P

Dont' worry, the fauxhawk's getting better.. its grown out at the moment so I look more like a mop.

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:

I worked in Thailand for a month, building houses in tsunami affected areas. Towards the end of the month, we had a beach party, I brought out the fire poi, and one of the people I had been working alongside for the previous three weeks, after seeing me fire twirl, said "Wow, I didn't know you were a Hippie"

So apparently fire-twirling makes you a Hippie.

hee hee.

I think that is hilarious, given that we were all living and working with hundreds of other people, giving part of our lives working, for no material gain, to help a community in need. Many were dope smoking, funny clothes wearing dreadlocked barefoot types, yet, it was fire twirling (in this persons eyes) that defined one as a Hippie!!

Not that I am a Hippie. I don't even smoke.

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
mojojo you are definatly a hippie lol

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pineapple pete

hi all.

this started in the [Old link] and i was wondering, what exactly classifies a hippy.

you mean this : D

awakenSILVER Member
The Evil Pixie (apparently)
716 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Tao Star

Written by: Mountain Elf

My opinion...

A hippy is a person so at peace with themselves and their surroundings that they are always truly themselves...no falsehoods, what you see is what you get. And obviously, to repeat a much said phrase....lots of love and peace to share.

X

i think this is the best definition i have seen so far. all those people that have a 'hippy aura' about them, the one's with a twinkle in their eye who seem to do the right thing without thinking about it. they are all the people who are truly in touch with themselves i guess.

those are the people i admire anyway. ubbrollsmile

Yep I agree with this totally. And also the comment about wearing funny hats.

biggrin

Here's a question... can a hippy have a 'professional' job. Thoughts?

Oh! Oh! and Ravehead... i liiiike yr avatar
EDITED_BY: awaken (1154662562)

rock hopping, hop-scotching, pippy pocky stocking - Sureau - wink thanks Jen! biggrin

Ry: I can't hear you. I'm listening to The Spice Girls.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Hippy's smell bad. smile

(And often take random statements too seriously... hehehe)

Aimee Marienewbie
3 posts

Posted:
i think that hippies are awsome and furry goodness people.. peace man weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley

Aimee Roe
Member of the Fire Sevice Society

"Before you can feel the warmth of the sun, you must first feel the cold from the rain." -Aimee

Flanimal_Lovermember
43 posts

Posted:
hip·pie also hip·py ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hp)
n. pl. hip·pies
A person who opposes and rejects many of the conventional standards and customs of society, especially one who advocates extreme liberalism in sociopolitical attitudes and lifestyles.
peace

Poi-er to the People!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
 Written by: awaken

Written by: Tao Star

Written by: Mountain Elf

My opinion...

A hippy is a person so at peace with themselves and their surroundings that they are always truly themselves...no falsehoods, what you see is what you get. And obviously, to repeat a much said phrase....lots of love and peace to share.

X

i think this is the best definition i have seen so far. all those people that have a 'hippy aura' about them, the one's with a twinkle in their eye who seem to do the right thing without thinking about it. they are all the people who are truly in touch with themselves i guess.

those are the people i admire anyway. ubbrollsmile

Yep I agree with this totally. And also the comment about wearing funny hats. Today I think I might look odd at work cos im wearing some semi-dressy black pants, back turtleneck and one of those cheesecloth headwraps in olive green.. i kinda wear semi-dressy clothes to work, but i like it most when i can throw some kind of hippy element in there. My boss just laughs.

Here's a question... can a hippy have a 'professional' job. Thoughts?

Oh! Oh! and Ravehead... i liiiike yr avatar

Why does a hippy have to be at peace with themselves? Hippies are often known for what they dont accept as social norms, you know, like wearing funny clothes and stuff. a rebel at peace? what about protesters? sure some of them are at peace... though i know some people who feel the pain and worse , some who bear the pain... of the whole world...

taoist monks living in a temple on top of a mountain... now that i could accept the twinkly eyed peacefull definition for...

and to answer the other question... of course hippies can have professional jobs... most 'hippies' I know are college educated and come from a middle class backround...

Love is the law.

awakenSILVER Member
The Evil Pixie (apparently)
716 posts

Posted:
Interesting. I don't really understand your first sentence...?

("Hippies are often known what they dont accept as social norms, you know, like wearing funny clothes and stuff")

I think this proves the point that a hippy would be at peace with oneself, so they feel comfortable wearing funny clothes, or no clothes, or whatever they feel comfortable in because it matters not what anyone else would think .

Or maybe I just missed your point entirely *highly likely*

Hippies dont HAVE to be at peace - everyone has their fair share of hang-ups which is a different matter althogether- but as a generalisation when compared to more mainstream personalities, they are fair less judgemental in a socially related sence. A huge factor, where I'm concerned, in contributing to your inner peace. As a small example, I know people who are constantly judging themselves, and judging others in comparison to themselves, and I've noticed their tendancy to be constantly fighting a battle with life. Just let it go!

Well I agree with your statement on professional jobs, but I was leaving it open because there is likely to be idealists/puritans that reject the kind of conventionalism and capitalism it may signify to some. I think on the whole, it is inconsequential to the person's inner state of being (where it counts).

rock hopping, hop-scotching, pippy pocky stocking - Sureau - wink thanks Jen! biggrin

Ry: I can't hear you. I'm listening to The Spice Girls.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Mainstream Personalities?

ubblol

You have got to be kidding me.

Love is the law.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted: