Forums > Social Discussion > Bad news for cannabis smokers

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4363075.stm

frown

What are your opinions on what has been done?

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
So you're saying:

1. If marijuana caused schizophrenia, that would be scary. [agreed]

2. If it just 'triggers' it, then that wouldn't be?

Because of course people know when they have underlying mental health problems?

A friend of mine went mad for six months after one drug experience. She had to be forcibly restrained during that period. We thought we might never get her back. Quite frankly, I don't give a toss whether the drugs caused it or triggered it; it was still scary, we had no way of predicting it, and we can definitely point a finger at drugs as being the culprit. If she hadn't taken them, she would have been fine.

Again: what substantive difference does this trigger/cause distinction which you are invoking make? It can't be that mere triggers are nothing to worry about, as my example above indicates.

6. On a distinct issue: you argued that correlational study can indicate one of four possible relationships between the two variables: cause-effect, reverse-cause, independence, and co-causality. How does 'triggering' fit into this?

answers on the back of a post-card, please

ture na sig

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
On the back of a postcard? Is it a big postcard? smile

I think it does make a substantive difference. If someone is already predisposed to mental illness (granted, that is hard to know until an issue occurs), sure they shouldnt be doing any drugs. That does not mean that the rest of us should be demanded to do so. Schizophrenia effects 1% of the population (granted, psychosis in the broad sense used in many of these studies effects a great deal more).

If it is a CAUSE of schizphrenia in 100% of cases, then there would be room for worry. If it is merely a trigger, then there is a huge substantive difference. No one knows what causes schizophrenia, but, like this, there are many theories. None of them fits 100%. Once we know what causes it, we can look at how marijuana might cause those things: something which I have made the case for that it will not do (based on currently available data about physical changes in the brain and assuming that these physical changes are the source of symptoms, the current paradigm view). In the strict sense, marijuana is not in that case a cause, but only a trigger. Sure this means people with psychosis predispositions shouldnt take it, and yes a few people who try it may trigger a psychotic episode because they dont know about their own condition. If I have a heart attack because I dont know i have a condition and I go running, is it running's fault?

Im sure better analogies can be found, but Im lazy.

Hmmm thats a tough question, as obviously Im predisposed to stay away from the cause-effect answer. I would say it does fall under cause effect, but in a qualified way, as it is definitely different than strict IF-THEN cause-effect. Also, because it is clearly not this kind of relationship (not a correlation of 1, or even statistically CLOSE to 1) I would argue that the EVIDENCE for this type of relationship is weak. Marijuana is not a silver bullet answer, obviously. Also, trigger can fall under independence as the two are not really related in such a way. They are somewhat independent. Also I would argue that while the "trigger" effect may be poignant for some people, it clearly isn't for all people, so there may be other confounding variables involved that would indicate reverse-caused or a third possible cause for both (say predisposition).

nomeSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
Written by: i8beefy2

If someone is already predisposed to mental illness (granted, that is hard to know until an issue occurs), sure they shouldnt be doing any drugs. That does not mean that the rest of us should be demanded to do so.

Sorry to interrupt, I haven't read the whole thread or the articles, so I'll keep it to simple little bullet-points:

> If you don't know whether you are predisposed to mental illness, you don't know whether you ought to avoid doing drugs.
> If you do not know who is predisposed to mental illness, it is impossible to know in which cases it is just to demand that drugs ought not be used.
> While some people may know the risk that they are taking - ie. they may incur mental health problems if they already have the disposition towards them - others will not. They will gamble their sanity when they just thought they were having a good time.
>By demanding that nobody does drugs you are erring on the side of caution. Is this wrong?

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
re: beefy: 'I think it does make a substantive difference. If someone is already predisposed to mental illness (granted, that is hard to know until an issue occurs), sure they shouldnt be doing any drugs. That does not mean that the rest of us should be demanded to do so. Schizophrenia effects 1% of the population (granted, psychosis in the broad sense used in many of these studies effects a great deal more). '

the point is that you DO NOT KNOW WHETHER YOU ARE PREDISPOSED

in terms of what it's rational to do, your point is irrelevant
EDITED_BY: quiet (1115579897)

ture na sig

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
I give up. there isn't enough research out there to make a decent comparrison of long term effects of cannabis v's the medication they put you on once diagnosed. I have also beed trying to find research into the affects of other "Legal"
drugs on mental illness, and there isn't enough on that either.
also have had a split reaction by a couple of the pcyh team at our local mental health hospital. One recomended that some one came off cannabis but continued taking the meds prescribed by the doc. For another person another recomended completely the opposite (Which made me happy biggrin)
the way i see it..... the only way you could truley tell if it has had a drastic effect on someone is if you had the chance to study the smae person doing exactly the same things for a long period of time. once on cannabis and once without. but its something that can not be done. so i am sticking with my natural (or as near as damnit) happy sticks rather than the happy pills which make me worse.

*Disclamer.... on pain killers so if it doesn't make sence blame the drugs ubblol

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

spaceySILVER Member
mischeivious pixie
291 posts

Posted:
you can go round forever on this arguement.....

for more info and education try coming to the canabis march/festival sun 15th may @ 1pm russell square, london. march to trafalgar square for talks, lectures etc for more info visit:

www.thecannabisfestival.co.uk

maybe see you there

wave

"I dont want no fatty bumbum, i want a lean mean shagging machine" anon

"I'm sweet and wholesome with a little bit of filth thrown in"

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Is that the best place to go to get impartial and objective information on the issue then smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

spaceySILVER Member
mischeivious pixie
291 posts

Posted:
probably not, but no website or info is going to be impartial because it all depends on the opinons of the people who publish them.
the only thing i can suggest to anyone is try and do whats best for you and safest for you on the subject....and to keep an open mind.

smile

"I dont want no fatty bumbum, i want a lean mean shagging machine" anon

"I'm sweet and wholesome with a little bit of filth thrown in"

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
nome, apologies - i should have credited you for nailing that issue firmly on the head

re: partiality: granted, there's always going to be some degree of bias - but i think you're going to get much heavier bias from an evangelical pot-smoker, or 'cannabis site' (erowid, the lyceum, cannabis fest, etc.) than you are from a peer-reviewed journal.

why? well, peer-reviewed journals are subject to peer review (duh). none of the rest are.

I know where I'd go for my information. . .

ture na sig

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Hey Just spotted this thread and had to jump in, I "suffer" from MS myself and I do use cannabis and it really really helps, luckily I have Relapsing Remitting MS so when I'm well I can do everything poi : ) etc but when I'm sick I can't do a bloody thing, I've been paralyzed from the waist down, my arms below the elbows have been paralyzed and I won't go into the pain aspect but let's just say it's not fun and the one thing that helps is cannabis, I'm not generally sadistic but I'd love to see the people in charge (i.e. the government policy maker that make cannabis illegal) go through what I go through, they'd definately change the law. It makes me so angry that other people have the power to make me go through such misery, luckily I don't have much of a conscience and I break the law and smoke it anyway. My god I am so feckin angry right now, this subject freaks me out, so I'm going to go get some hugs off my friends.

Later.

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
That makes me angry too, the fact that it is forbidden for medical use, where it could help a great number of suffering people, simply on the grounds that some other people choose to use it for recreational reasons.

The whole thing makes me angry really, so I'm going to stop now before I go off on a serious rant (as I have done several years ago on this very same thread!) rolleyes

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
Bad news?
it moved from class b to c, thats a good thing......

Love is Life

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
BAD NEWS for UK weed smokers..............

Warning to drug users

BEN KENDALL

02 January 2007 06:00

Drugs users across East Anglia were last night warned to exercise extreme caution after research showed cannabis supplies are being contaminated with harmful glass particles.

Campaign bodies lobbying for the legalisation of cannabis claim small glass beads - believed to be an industrial spray used for glass frosting - are being added to herbal cannabis in a bid to increase its weight and making “deals” more expensive.

Norwich-based group Cannaprag says police raids during the summer of 2006 which saw large scale cannabis farms - including several in Norwich, Yarmouth and King's Lynn - closed down have created a shortage of the drug meaning dealers are contaminating supplies in a bid to meet demand.

But this could have serious health consequences for thousands of users with some already reporting mouth ulcers, sore throats and chesty persistent coughs.

Cannaprag spokesman Derek Williams said the cannabis using community has had suspicions about contamination for about six months but has only now obtained evidence by analysing samples of the drug. At first the substance was thought to be a relatively harmless material such as sands but the results are far more worrying.

Mr Williams added: “What has become clear through this incident is that the government has no method of warning illegal drug users of dangers such as this and seemingly has no desire to do so.

“Government policy towards illegal drugs should not act in such a way as to increase the danger of using them by adding unknown risks.

“Cannaprag is calling for public information campaign to raise awareness of this contamination as a matter of urgency. It will be affecting a huge number of people. A public health warning is urgently needed to inform users that they should not smoke this contaminated cannabis and dealers should not sell it.”

Mr Williams said that such contamination is a result of prohibition and legalising cannabis would allow the government to ensure the safety of supplies.

“The reality is that people are going to use cannabis and, if that is the case, the government should have some way of ensuring their safety. The only way of doing this is through legalisation,” he said.

Magnification of three samples shows small beads 50 - 120 micrometers diameter, made of non-soluble high melting point glass like substance.

If smoked without a filter - as is common - these glass beads are drawn into the lungs.

The author of the research has remained anonymous but Cannaprag and other legalisation campaign groups are calling on the government to conduct its own research.

i myself have had this rancid stuff a few times frown

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
oooh good thing i hate that stuff
should go run off after work and warn my friends
does this apply to american supplies or just over there

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

7,193 posts

Posted:
just over here i think, because of all the raids last summer dealers have been importing any old stuff and messing about with it.

3,556 posts

Posted:
oh similiar stuff is happening in milwaukee but not with weed
they busted a bunch of gang members for cocaine trafficking...it may be why violence has gone up around here too
huh more stuff to go look in the newspapers about

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately, dealers mixing other crap with weed is nothing new, stuff to make the weight more, crystal meth etc
You name they typically will try it.

For anyone who smokes it, buy off a "trusted" dealer, someone you know who you know doesn't add anything.

(If that is at all possible)

Are you up for it?
wink;)

7,193 posts

Posted:
YUCK cocain is dutty stuff (i should know i did used to do a bit)

in the UK it's kind of flooded the market so the price of a wrap has gone down but the ammount of junk people are cutting it with is a joke...............cheap and nasty springs to mind ubblol

i have to say in the last 18 months i've come to realise ok there are drugs about but WHY make it a mission to go out EVERY weekend and get trashed on them??

you may laugh but i cant honestly remember the last time i took ANY class A's

i still smoke a bit of weed now and then but i can't afford it most of the time and i'm not wasting my money on some dud stuff thats been sprayed with glass/sand/sugar.

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I've been coming across seriously contaminated supplies of weed too... generally I try and have a good look before I waste my money on nasty sand/glass etc and I won't buy it if it's cut...

yeah, contaminating supplies to increase bulk has been going on for years but nothing like on this scale. If you've spent a lot of years smoking a lot of fresh weed and taking the time to find a decent supplier (someone who loves their plants and doesn't tend to get involved in other criminal activity) it's surprisingly easy to tell if it's been cut by the appearance, taste and sometimes just how it burns. I know of people in Belgium near the Dutch border who've been having the same problem.

Problem is, lots of people are still buying this stuff and smoking it, it's really quite worrying. I know a lot of people who would rather ingest this crap than go without a smoke.

It's again made me feel really angry with government policy and convinced me further of the many benefits legalisation/decriminalisation would bring.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

7,193 posts

Posted:
i had that attitude for a long time tea fairy, but if people are dumb enough and desperate enough to smoke contaminated weed it proves they truly know nothing about weed wink

personally since i started to get to know the true hippies around my way i've not had bad stuff in a while but they only supply small ammounts and DON'T deal in the stuff as it is their own personal stash.

also having grown a few plants in my youth i can tell if the plant was force grown (with chemicals) as there is a metallic taste to it, or it makes you cough but this weed that has been sparayed with sand is NOT true weed, it has had ALL the T.H.C spun off it so effectively it is useless and worthless.

it' the same with ressin, you can get some lovely stuff, but when "solid" is mentioned people assume you mean "soap" which is the dirtiest stuff you can get..................hell it's not even marijuana!!!!

they mix all kinds of contaminants in with it, like plastic bags, rubber and god knows what else. there is a saying "it's not real soap unless there's a carryer bag in it" ubblol

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
ubblol Agreed!

I grew up with hippies, I know exactly what you mean concerning quality of weed and hash. Most of the people I used to pick up from grew themselves for personal use and would pass on their excess to friends (i.e. me!).

I had the shock of my life when I first moved to London, nobody seemed to know anything about quality and 2 - 3 grams always passed as an 8th with no complaints, which I found absurd! It took me ages to find a decent supplier who had the same attitude towards weed as me, who would refuse to buy or sell poor quality goods and didn't overcharge/undercut the weight and who didn't deal for profit.

My brother in law grows plants in Spain. He says it's great over there, apparently the police never bother him and if you claim you're an addict then you won't go to jail (although I'm not sure how true this is). I've seen some great pictures of him on his roof patio sat among all these huge plants. Maybe I should move to Spain... or Holland.... *sigh*

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

3,556 posts

Posted:
yup
oh i'm an addict, i'm trying to get help, works for my friends everytime
even trusted sellers get a bad batch sometimes though trying to make ends meet
ex ended up in the hospital once because the guy cut it with meth, the white not the green
it apparently is all shwaggy around here, but the hippies are all trust funders who don't know any better

Faith

Nadojourneyman
61 posts

Posted:
I hope im not cross posting here.

Ok so we all agree that tobacco and alcohol have worses affects than pot.

The question that remains is why are those to legal and pot isn't

IMHO it is because the government can not effectively tax pot. It is too easy to grow.

As for giving up i tried cold turkey, nope didn't work. Hypnotism worked a treat and only after 2 sessions.

While i still smoke every now and then, it no longer has a hold on me as it does. The craving went away after the first session. I guess the second session was just to reinforce the work done by the first session.

If there is anyone in brisbane who is interested in trying it PM me. The lady i went to was a wonderful grandmothery type person. She was wonderful, she also does other stuff like , quit cigs, weight loss, anxiety problems etc. She had this big bucket full of packets of cigarettes that she gets her patients to dump her cigs in before they start the session. Nobody picks their packet up on the way out.

She is also a qualified naturopath and scientific palm reader (fascinating stuff) it was well worth the $45 per session.

-N

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
At least the green here is still prety good from what I've seen, actualy better than it used to be thanks to canada. Had some good E for some time, but now back to mostly meth bombs or B's from what I hear. Sid is mostly bunk too. The rest of the psychedelics are good too. I don't mess with anything other than that so I don't know, or care.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

I had been told that healthy people wernt affected much. Twas only the already mentally unstable who became worse. I dunno tho. Ive never met a stoner with psychosis shrug

Well i think over use in healthy people can still lead to mental illness over time.
I have seen on a couple of occasion throughtout my smoking life, people with a predisposition to mental problems suffer very badly from even the smallest amounts of pot. On 2 seperate occasions just a puff of a joint put them in a mental hospital for 2 weeks on both occasions.
IMO you have to know your body and understand what it can and can't take.

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Reminds me of a friend at uni, many years ago.

He always seemed OK with smoking and it was a big part of his life- dealing partly financed his studies.

One day, whilst in Amsterdam, he experienced serious psychosis; ultimately he was admitted, diagnosed, treated and released.

Released with the advice to not use pot anymore.

He found this difficult to accept as, in his own words, he 'loved smoking pot'.

However, a simple correlation was evident- if he didn't smoke pot,he was OK; when he did smoke, he immediately relapsed into mental illness.

He was lucky enough to have the kind of intelligence/self-control to act on this and, after a while, stayed away from pot for good.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
"Well i think over use in healthy people can still lead to mental illness over time."
You have to have the underlying condition, of course if it's laced with say PCP that's differant, but that can send pefectly sane people over the eadge.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

7,193 posts

Posted:
i'm not sure about this or even if it's correct but having used different types of psychoactive substances (some legal) like salvia divanorum or purple ohms, i've gotten used to the weird things that the brain can do ubbloco

also even just sleep deprivation, and altitude sickness can have "trippy" effects on the brain.

i put it down that people that DO freak out on some substances or lack of sleep even, were never mentaly prepaired to make that journey down the rabbit hole.

remember we only use about 10% of our brains and the rest remains hidden and hard to explore and unlock.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
On the only using 10% of your brain myth

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I don't think anyone fully understands the connections between drugs and mental illnesses, because the causes of most mental illnesses are still widely debated. There is evidence that it is biological i.e. chemical imbalances in the brain and genetics, but equally there is evidence that other factors such as life experience, social circumstances and personality are involved. There is a lot that people still don't understand about it, although the biological models are more relied upon and seen as more acceptable as this is how psychiatrists and drug companies make their money.

Even a lot of the drugs and therapies used to treat mental illness were stumbled upon by accident.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

Page: ...