CraZeenewbie
10 posts

Posted:
has anybody ever spun fire indoors... like in a hall...
What do you do to get rid of the smell of paraffin.

How can u spin with it, without makin everyone sick of the smell

Growing old is mandatory,
Growing UP is OPTIONAL

NantheosSILVER Member
82 posts

Posted:
You can use Coleman fuel, also know as white gas.

Hij die zijn kind benzine voert moet niet roken als het boert.

Love you MyIng ubblove

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
indoor fire is absolutely the way forward! there was a lot of us spinning inside to escape the rain at a warehouse free party last year.. theres something about spinning inside, maybe its all the shadows the fire makes on the walls, it's just a lot nicer in my opinion..
the smell isnt a problem if the place is big enough, but i think in general its a good plan to do it somewhere derelict so as not to p!ss off the owner, make sure theres space, avoid buildings made of wood, yadda yadda...

happy indoor spinning! biggrin weavesmiley sunny

progger

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: BoomShankar

make sure theres space, avoid buildings made of wood, yadda yadda...

happy indoor spinning! biggrin weavesmiley sunny

umm Yeah thats helpful.. yadda yadda. tongue

MAke sure that the surface ur spinning on isnt shiny or polished or slippery etc, cos it will probably become even more slippy once u get twirling, wot with all the fuel flyingaround and stuff.

[Old link] has some info on twirling indoors.. play safe hug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yes, just to emphesize a bit... For spinning indoors you really should NOT use paraffin/kerosene/lamp oil as it will undoubtedly stink the place up and leave slippery oily residue on everything. Coleman's Camp Fuel/white gas is definately the preferred indoor fuel due to its low smoke and odor output and its quick evaporation.

However, if you will be spinning on a carpet (very unsafe to begin with) coleman's is probably more dangerous as that stuff tends to ignite the ground near the beginning of a burn. Best fuel to use in this scenario (although, id say you shouldnt be spinning fire on a carpet at all) would probably be lighter fluid/charcoal starter.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Spinning on carpet is a big no no with any kind of fuel, I think...just thinking safety wise here.

If you spin indoors, make sure to have a couple of good folks on safety, and a fire extinquisher near by wouldn't hurt either.

I'm very careful about what indoor gigs I would do, just because of the safety factor.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
im not sure you guys know about odourless colourless kerosene, that stuff has no smell and is clear lquid, also i found it doesnt burn as hot as regular kerosene, still slippery but, thats the only set back i see with it, maybe you want to have a look at that?

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Slippery is a BIG drawback though... Probably less safe than spinning on carpet when ya think about it.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i went to a scary small town show on the weekend (but that's an entirely different story! tongue ) we had a stall with work - where i attracted people by twirling my lil rainbow coloured practice poi! biggrin

and there was this circus show...and this guy was juggling...he wasn't too bad. then he brought out the flamey juggling clubs & the crowd were not too surprisingly very impressed! then he took a sip of 'water' from a metal cup...and of course did a bit of firebreathing. indoors. in a circle not that huge. with lots of small children in the front row. surely the fuel would have splashed over the kiddies, yes?? i thought the guy was pretty kewl til he did that...

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Tis scary what some performers consider ok. That would seriously piss me if my kids were watching. What i have also found is the kids all go to the front and the parents are out of reach and the kids nugde in closer and closer and the performers are hedged in more and more. Watched one guy on a tall unicycle trying to juggle and dropped the fire club about a foot from the circle of kids.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

CraZeenewbie
10 posts

Posted:
Thanx all
but i did a gig the other night and was forced to do it inside.
I mixed my paraffin with citronella oil. It smelt like lemons...
much better than paraffin
the only problem was that it burnt twice as hot than
with pure paraffin. Luckily had a cloth with me wink

Growing UP is OPTIONAL

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
careful with the citronella at public preforms. some are allergic. just a thought.

if anyone orders Merlot, i'm leaving.

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
i cant use citronella for that very reason, it sux i come up with big rash type things that burn like crazy, so im confined to parrafin.

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
my father the same but he also gets problems breathing. not from skin contact but from the smoke.

CraZeenewbie
10 posts

Posted:
There isnt too much smoke when citronella oil is burned
well at least i didnt see much...
So what do i do then, have the entire hall of people feeling sick and put off the food or
have 1 or 2 people feeling sick and going outside confused

Growing UP is OPTIONAL

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
thats a personal choice. i just thought it would be info you could consider. personally, i use paraffin for most things unless im indoors. it can be slick and stain if on the ground but i make sure to spin off well first. i would recomend giving white gas (coleman fuel)a try. little smell, burns bright, and easy to light (big bonus when in front of a crowd. nothing worse than 2 minute lull while you try to get the paraffin to light). as mentioned above, be careful near carpet, curtain, and other exceptionally flammable things. if your practicing good fire safty for public performances you should be fine anyhow. ie. spinning off, ropeing off performance area, moving flammables, seperate fuel depot, etc.. there are plenty of threads on the subject. in the end i think most citronella oils, like the "Tiki" brand act similar to paraffin anyway. it burns a little hotter but the smoke produced seems about the same. its just a more recognizable smell to people so they dont mind it as much. good luck with the shows.

SeraphireHoP's Original Smelly-Hippie-Scum-Bag
270 posts

Posted:
I had my first indoor performance on The saturday of easter weekend. We all used paraffin. I think the only thing we ran into problems with was the ventalation behind stage. But with an open door to the outside that soon cleared up. I personally was really unsure about the idea. I suppose a mix of stage fright and just a first time indoors. But the night was great, went off without a hitch, the crowd loved it and I felt amazing. The spin off is easily dealt with a squeze of the wick, and we had sand down everywhere. I personally felt safer seeing about 8 Fire extinguishers very close on hand, with about as many people with them. I'd definately do it again.

Music gives Soul to the Universe, Wings to the Mind, Flight to the Imagination and Life to Everything.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE! hug

dsei.org Stop The Arms Trade!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I'm always amazed how many of you UK peeps have to use paraffin. Stinks, end of story. Can you not get stinkless fuel, apart from the very flamable Coleman fuel? Sold here as Firesol, Firewater etc,Pegasol family... I know there's been tons of posts and stuff on it in HoP, I'm probably going over old ground etc.. but hey there's so many of you in the UK, maybe it's a business for someone, sourcing it and supplying it in storable quantities? Bulk buying for groups of you?

Slippery fuel on floor sounds disastrous. One firedance group I know uses a large old 2nd hand carpet square even when performing outdoors to avoid slipping on gravel, etc ( they do stuff like the splits so wouldn't want to be carving their thighs up...) Wool carpet that is not flammable.... and the amount of fuel going onto it neglibible if everything is pre-dipped and spun off.? Plus using a wipe rag or other proper prep. And indeed, fire extinguishers, wet towels blankets etc should be there even if you're just in yr own backyard.

If peeps are doing any sort of shows, indoors or outdoors it might be worth considering the public liability insurance. Ya never know...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
always always always get your permits for indoor public fire performances. almost anywhere in the western world will arrest the hell out of you for doing a fire show indoors without permits if you get caught by a fire marshal or the local equivelent, and if you are lucky enough to not do jail time or probation, you'll still have a police record and hefty fines that will take you a decade of fire performing gigs to pay off.

I admit that I have performed indoors with fire and no permit in the past back when I was naive, but I never will again after learning the consequences. It ain't worth a couple hundred dollars for a gig payment to risk that. Payoff the local authorities via permits and following all their safety regulations for peace of mind - it is worth it.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
also I completely concure that fuel on the stage is a big big hazard for slipping injuries plus falling also means losing control of the fire

coleman fuel is the least smoky, least smelly, and least slippery fuel that is "safe" enough for fire spinning (and about the only choice for indoor spinning) - but keep in mind it is still considerably more dangerous than parafin. You should always have a safety, and you should always have a safety when spinning indoors for sure(!!!), but when spinning with coleman/white gas, it is absolutely essential you have a dedicated safety for you AND someone keeping an eye on the fuel area as well!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!