onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
menthol and sinuses.

Generally, on the occasions I get a bad-ish cold, it'll end up paying a visit to my sinuses, and I've found that inhaling menthol crystals in boiling water with a towel over my head brings temporary relief.

I've just done a bit of a mamoth session and I'm actually feeling a bit high from it smile

Just wondering, does anyone know if it's possible to overdo it with the menthol? I notice on the bottle that menthol crystals are poisonous and an irritant.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

Put me in your will..... Hurry before its too late!!!

How long ago did you do this? if it was more than a few hours hurry and write me in your will!

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
It's all about dosage...I just looked it up, I can tell you the LD50 in mice, but I'm guessing you're nowhere near that kind of quantity.. Your local poison control centre should be able to help you out

MissEgyptologyBRONZE Member
officially expelled from BYU
195 posts

Posted:
I wonder what unicycling when hi would look like...

Dave, take one for the team and go find out!

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

Thanks, NYC,but I quit mormonism now XD

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I *think* irritant means you can take quite a lot without getting serious problems... Salt for example should get a "harmful" sticker because 2 grams per kilo bodyweight can kill you wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I guess I was a bit muddled during my late-night, flu-deluded/gunk-packed sinus post.

I wasn't concerned that I'd overdosed on menthol smile

My question was meant to be more about whether menthol helps heal the condition, or merely remove the symptoms for a while.

And, if the latter is the case, can the menthol, being an irritant/poison, actually have bad effects on the system?

An analogy being the use of anti-biotics for conditions that would, left to themselves, clear up; the anti-biotics being just a way of speeding up the process and, ultimately, being an unwise choice due to the negative effects of unnecessary anti-biotics.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: MissEgyptology

I wonder what unicycling when hi would look like...

Dave, take one for the team and go find out!

I've unicycled during a migraine aura with half my visual field missing.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
When I looked up menthol, I couldn't find any suggestions that it heals anything. It may have some psychosomatic benefits, much in the way placebos do, but everything I looked at implied it way only a flavouring.

As an irritant, menthol isn't something you want to get in your eyes, as a poison, well you sure have to transcend the boundaries of common sense to get a lethal dose into your system.

I don't agree with your antibiotic analogy, true some infections may just heal on themselves, but the big problem with anitbiotics is the development of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. In the western world, antibiotics are usually obtained through a prescription, meaning you have to consult with a doctor before buying them. Most doctors will tell you that antibiotics won't cure an infection caused by a virus, and hopefully as a patient,,you believe them. I've been places where you can just walk into a pharmacy and buy antibiotics at will,,,in any quantity you want " I'll have one amoxycillin,,,,,please"

That's the big problem with antibiotics, not taking the full course, but stopping when you think the infection is cleared up.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Dave try substituting tea tree oil for the menthol. Go easy on the amount as it can cause a stinging burning feeling. Its not going to cure your cold but its antiseptic qualities will help prevent secondry infection of the nasal passages and sinuses.

Steaming with or without the addition of tea tree/ menthol crystals will help blocked noses/sinuses as it causes the nasal passages to get warm which increases the blood flow to them and also helps them to expand, thus allowing the smaller tubes to the sinuses to drain. Maybe the high feeling is due to the increased blood flow to the head?

I hope you feel better soon

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
It's also the moisture diluting the snot. I sit over steam all the time when I've got a cold, it's the only thing that helps. Dropping cough drops in the boiling water does seem to help a bit-- maybe menthol has some kind of snot-cutting property? I don't think it has any actual healing properties. On cough drops it's listed as an anaesthetic, and there are some dosage restrictions.

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Menthol is simply a volatile alcohol, meaning that it has a low temperature required for evaporation, which gives it it's "cooling" feeling.

All it does is reduce symptoms. Doesn't cure a thing. But it feels good.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura