Forums > Meet Others > Any twirlers in or near Cairns?

Login/Join to Participate

Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
Ah it's a long shot but wondering any twirlers in or around the entire Cairns area?

biggrin XF biggrin

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
From what I've gathered backpacking in SA, Cairns is backpacker central in Oz and a lot of people come through Thailand on their way so are at least aware of poi. It might be worth booking a couple of nights in a hostel and lighting up to see if anyone joins/aproaches you.

Also I think I'll be heading upo there in the next 2 months, if you're interested pm me biggrin

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hi there, when I was there there was a guy called John who sold poi and suchlike in the central square of the town during most days.

He organised fire gatherings on a Friday night out at lake placid and there were loads of people who went - along with drummers, musicians, didg players etc.

However, that was nearly three years ago now... so things may have changed!

Good luck biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
Yeah I know Jon, he doesn't run that no more. I don't even think he's in Cairns anymore.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well I'm in Cairns now (Kuranda anyway) and my mates tell me that there is a regular Friday night at the Esplanade in the middle of Cairns... even some doof provided... spinners and suchlike... quite a few peeps and a regular scene...
so sounds like a good thing!
I won't be there cos I'm only here till Wednesday...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
frown

Do you happen to have an email address for Jon? I'd love to write and tell him thanks for teaching me.

Clare x

Getting to the other side smile

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
i was in cairns for a week just over a week ago, we went down to the esplanade but it wasnt on that week, theres a board thing down there that tells you when its on next i think.... my staffs still up there frown go out to any bush doof too, but im guessing you know that? have you been in cairns all your life?

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
The Esplanade there, is that near the pier area, with the large water area, etc? Something by the name of Fire By the Sea... confused

Where abouts do the spinners go exactly in Cairns (with regards to this Fire By The Sea), and can any other people join in? (Wasnt too sure if it was a performance group, or a pyromeet)

Next time Im up at Cairns, I wanna make sure I check it out biggrin

~ Neser'

Edit:

Found this -
 Written by: Cairns Esplanade - Cairns Connect*

Come along on Friday night to see Fire By The Sea…watch the fire dancers perform between roughly 8.00 pm and 9.30 pm. It’s spectacular! You will find them on the sand beach off the boardwalk at the end of Florence Street right opposite Villa Romana.

... So are other pyrospinners allowed to join in? confused

* - https://www.cairnsconnect.com/cairns/esplanade.asp

EDITED_BY: Neser (1142598864)

Fuel your fascination, burn your desire and dance with flames

Keylan_RulzBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
if you need info on jon or anyone associated with him and the jams down at the peir just contact me and get as much info as possible BTW jon lives in kuranda . the jams are usually on saturdays and jon and the flameable fire tribe do lessons

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _Clare_

frown

Do you happen to have an email address for Jon? I'd love to write and tell him thanks for teaching me.

Clare x

Wow, I just saw this and it was posted two years ago!

Jon taught you to spin! Mad!

Clare, I will PM you Jon's contact details. I am in touch with him, and indeed he is in Kuranda. Probably coming down to Woodford at the end of the year, with Dan and Brad too.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....