Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > destroying the house with baton dvds

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Hello, I am Linda in Connecticut, US. I've quietly settled myself in here, but not yet posted because of my fondness for baton, which I understand has a sketchy reputation, and because I know most of my burning questions will be answered with -- do a search-- but here's a go at it.

I've been re-learning baton, but just discovered people spin things on fire too, which I intend to do. I got the HOP staff video, and am working on Volume 2 of Susan Orr's Guide to Twirling. (Someone was asking about baton videos-- these are the only ones I've found so far. Very girly and meant for kids which is nice if you are slow like me, but #2 gets into some challenging stuff, like fishtails, which I think is the same as what you talk about here.)

But now I see the contact stuff, and find my arm length batons and Globaton aren't cutting it. And I'm starting to think a lot of these baton moves I'm practicing won't be possible once I light up, such as switching palm spins from hand to hand at chest level, but I'm not sure. So I sacrificed a broom and I'm amazed how beautifully a longer staff can spin. Now I'm torn on a length for my first lightable fire staff.

The question is, how are you all learning? Especially those of you not in places where there are others? I've already spectacularly shattered my ceiling lamp, just with a short baton, trying to work out a move from a video. I'm sunk for sure if I start up with a long staff, unless I run a very long cord and computer out to the yard, a bit tricky in the snow.
???
linda

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
It's not for the weak hearted. I was just outside with my metal baton for the first time since we got some nice weather, I was maybe a little over enthusiastic and got a wack in the eye that looks like it's going to leave a good shiner I'll have fun explaining.

What kills me about that video is all the little six year old girls in the background doing this stuff. How did they survive unscathed?

practicing contact with glasses on = bad
practicing contact with a suede jacket on = awesome!
linda

PrayerFireAngelBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
But doesn't it make you feel better when the little six year olds drop their baton? ubblol I can get through most of Volume One except for the Half turn, 1 Turn and Big Circle, Little Circle Airplane Spin, High Throw. Oh yeah and I am having problems with the Merry go Round move but am not sure if its me or if its because of the 39 inch Fire staff? I may have to modify the move a bit. As for Volume Two, I've made it about 1/4 of the way through & am wondering how long its going to take me to do the Fish? Every time I put the Fire Staff up on the top of my hand it goes rolling right off. Haven't destroyed anything in my Living room yet except for my big toe which is almost back from purple to normal skin tone. I am having a lot of fun though & I noticed today that the Grey Fire Staff didn't seem so heavy like it did a week ago & I know my fingers are gonna get hella strong eventually.

May All Your Prayers Be Heard...

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Oh, yes of course, I forgot you were working with a longer staff and not a baton. No, that merry go round / ferris wheel isn't going to work unless you have incredibly long arms. That's the move that kept me wanting to stay with a short staff, because it's a lot of fun. I can do it with the globug, try it with that. It takes a while to keep thinking of which side of your arm you swing down on, but that's why I like those silly videos, they assume you are slow witted and show it to you over and over. After a couple hours you won't even have to think about it, it just happens. Quite amazing.

The fish took me a long time, I'm just managing to keep it going continuously now after a month of despair. I cracked it first using my 4 foot broomstick, which slows everything down and makes learning contact a lot easier. Once I *felt* what it is suppose to feel like it was a lot easier to do it on everything else. You got to get momentum going for that one, from a figure 8. I still have problems moving myself out of the way, without it coming back and hitting me in my female parts. But it's amazing how these moves seem to work themselves out on their own just with persistance.
linda

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Another instructional baton video series, haven't seen it, can't vouch for it, but I'm very tempted cause this one is all rolls (or contact for you lot) https://www.starlinebaton.com/prodDetails.asp?keyid=129
linda

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
I wish the baton videos were a bit on the cheaper side, though I guess it makes sense since baton twirling has such a big coach focus versus isolated self-learning.

I know it has been mentioned on homeofpoi before, but in case anyone missed it, there are videos of many baton tricks here:
https://www.interq.or.jp/mars/tom0503/taiikukan/adbyce/vtrlist.htm

In realvideo unfortunately, but you can get a free codec that works with media player classic instead of the RealVideo Player.

One thing I may attempt is to get some footage from baton clubs and people and put that online. That'd give an online resource to everyone while also giving me a way to learn for free.. wink

And for anyone who missed it on my baton freestyle thread, this is about the only good baton board I've found so far:
https://www.dance.net/twirling.html

Shawn

PrayerFireAngelBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
Thanks Wing. I just forwarded the information to Bev at Sharp Baton to ask her if she has any feedback on the videos above that way we won't waste our time and money if they are of poor quality. I am all for trying out whatever is new and works well with the Fire Staff. Now if I could just get Native to bring me back my Charles video! mad2

May All Your Prayers Be Heard...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
:drools: ooooOOOOooooo four videos on contact.... oooooooooo.... must resist....

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Yow, thanks yet again Shawn!

I can resist the 4 baton contact videos only because I still want that Osaka 2004 series... just can't quite dig out the $90 yet.

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Heeeyyy--- I just lit up for the first time with that short innercore...Wow! Fire is hot and loud! Who'd have thought....

Page: