Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Soooo I had this idea:

Throw right poi to your rigt from the bottom up, as it comes down bend your ankle back and catch the poi with the ankle, let the handle wrap a little then kick foot to front, poi does a half circle under you and then the handle unwraps in front of you, even flies in the right direction to catch it if you are lucky enough..: )

Anyone tried..?

Second idea, mostly impossible and not really sure how to do this with fire:

Same throw as in first catch but this time from a BF.. When right poi is in the air, swing the left one like a whip and hit the R just behind the handle so it wraps a little behind L's head, then finish the circle, pull L a bit back when coming from bottom up on the left so R's handle loosens and it flies away. Do it in a convienient moment and you can even catch the R poi..: )

Tried both.. The first one seems much more possible, I even got it a few times.. The second one is damn hard and more suitable for glowstrings than fire. Got it only once.

Comments..?: )

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
First one sounds cool or at least has inspired me to experiment with foot catches...

The second, I think, is what is referred to as a "whip catch" wherein you catch one poi with the other. This one has been discussed before and you can probably find more info through a search. If youre talking about something else, Im sorry for misunderstanding.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
The first one is called a 'flibble' i think, its a contact move, do a search for contact poi and theres a huuuuuge thread with loads of ideas, and the second one is indeed a 'whip catch', you can also do these from a weave. A nice way to go into them is to throw the right poi under your right (or left) leg, and then do the catch, it gives it a little more flair.

With the first one, if you are comfortable with hyperloop throws and whip catches, when you have caught it on your foot, swing the other poi down and catch the foot poi, then you can just do a full circle with them joined and catch the free handle and carry on spinning.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

The first one is called a 'flibble' i think

Who is coming up with all these names. Arashi sorts out one category and the community starts 10 new . . .

good luck anyway

.... and as far as I know some call it "suicides" which imo is not much better wink

hug to the islanders

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Contact poi has silly names, its part of the fun! smile

Also, arent suicides a diablo move? confused

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
Written by: White RaveN

Throw right poi to your rigt from the bottom up, as it comes down bend your ankle back and catch the poi with the ankle, let the handle wrap a little then kick foot to front, poi does a half circle under you and then the handle unwraps in front of you, even flies in the right direction to catch it if you are lucky enough..: )

Bottom up? sounds almost rude wink
But seriously, am a little confused about directions of spin - could you maybe describe it in terms of wall plane/wheel plane, clockwise/anticlockwise?

And i'm not sure this would be a fibble actually, because that would be a catch on to the foot and a change of direction to throw it back again. It sounds more like an ankle through-wrap, but having resleased the handle - so a suicide ankle through-wrap?! Great idea, will get playing...

BTW, here is the [Old link] thread. smile

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
had forgotten about this, and then accidentally stumbled across it the other day biggrin
Making the throw as if to do a RH to LH back-cross, but catching it on the Lankle behind you. Then just kicking forwards and catching it how you will (forces a bit of a plane change, but I think it looks lovely ubblove)

ubbidea makes for nice variations within wibbling and fibbling combos ubbidea

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Bump! I've been playing with this sort of stuff recently. Found a nice one where you start by spinning the right poi anticlockwise, then release it insuch a way thet it ends up about a metre and a half away from you, on the right hand side. Then do a kind of martial kick and catch the poi a few inches down from the handle over your foot, with your leg as near paralell with the ground as you can manage.

The handle should be on the laces side of your shoe, with the head end hanging on the sole side.

Depending on the length of your poi, you should then be able to swing your leg inwards so that the head comes up onto the top of your foot. With a little flick, the handle should follow it round, unwinding from your foot and causing the poi to jump up for the catch.

Hope that makes sense.

Any other ideas?

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

laughingoblinSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
I can do a foot catch on fire I have it on video aswell its a while in to it and a bad video.

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
oh yay! forgot about this again! more ankle wraps do-able if you try doing ankle propellors and experiment with the results!!