roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Has anyone here ever played steel drums? I'm curious of the difficulty. I've always loved them.

I don't think they'd be easy to find here in Australia...or that they'd be cheap...but yeah, just wondering

Thanks

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
no

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yep, they're not cheap. You're looking at around a $1000 AUS for a good one. Although, you can buy ones off of ebay for far less than that.(Unsure of the quality, though). There are players and teachers here in Oz, too! wink Don't have access to my contact list until my comp gets here later this month from Canada, though. So I can't help you till then to find someone.

Take a look on google, you're sure to find something. Or try here https://www.hotpans.se/pan/
to get a start on useful info! smile

Cheers!

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
HAR HAR...Beer kegs are just as good! Or better

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I used to play in a steel band ! ubbrollsmile, its not too fun playing one on its own (but its upto you).

I used to play melody,the little ones that play the tune. And some times used to play the ones that play chords, and come in twos. Then you have a different type of double pans, that are in between the two.

Then you have your great big full size drums that you have about four or five of.

Its pretty easy to pick up really, it depends on the speed your playing and how many notes or chords you have to remember. The good thing is, you can never be out of tune, you can hit the wrong note but that will be an accurate note.
You could play the simplest song, and it will sound good when all the band is playing.

The only tricky thing is getting beats ! If you have rhythm you'll do fine.

Um sorry if you know all this redface

Twas a great hobby, and the only reason I stopped was that i left the school that had a full band and people to play with.

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Steel bands rock!

I saw a high school steel band and they were ace

Ayethankyou.

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
where do you find a steel band to join?? we have tried in the past, oh we have tried... but i guess cornwall wasn't a steel band hotspot.... any that you do see seem to be school ones...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
I've never played, but there is a really good steel drum band at my school, too. (althogh not as good as the one at another school in town, who we were totally trying to copy off when we started ours!) I'd love to try playing sometime, but I unfortunately don't have a free class to do it in.

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Sesame street used to have steel drum bands.. ubblove

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu