nobodyshero00member
53 posts

Posted:
Was wondering what everyone, mainly those who have been doing poi longer, use as handles. I perfer to use a knoose, its more comfortable in my opinion, but im looking to find out what materials/configurations etc others use and feel good about. Thanks!

....i got nothing.

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

I use leather.

Mainly because its soft. Doesnt burn if you have it come into contact with flame if you have an accident. its strong (i need it to be because my poi are uber heavy) and it feels really nice.

I had them made in the same format as the ones in the Home of Poi shop. and i think they are perfect. Your local leather repair shop should be able to make them for you or just order them from Home of Poi

and for those about to tell this guy to do a search... GET BACK!!!!!
BACK I SAY!!!!!!!

BTW i love your Avatar. makes me want to change mine to Paladin Alexander

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
I make single, double and tripple finger loops depending mainly upon the weight being spun, all hand stitched using sail cloth stitching twine (so far so good) and now the the bad bit yes do know better, but for personal use i use high density nylon 1" and 3 quater ", i know, but hand stitching leather i just find too much like hard work.

mark

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I use weighted ball grips (no loops or finger holds). Makes throws 100x better which are a big part of my style. Previous to being "enlightened" however, I just used the HoP double loop nylon handles which worked just fine IMO.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
I mostly use fat shoe laces, nicely soft and wide, but then again: I do hold my chains a bit weird:

Non-Https Image Link

(but then with the thumb gripped around the chain ofcourse wink )
because this way I can wiggle it off my fingers if I want to do throws...

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
Leather double-loops or noose are easily the best. I prefer quite think 3mm leather because it seems to last forever. You can burn it, dip it in your fuel by accident, get it caught on things etc... and it will last.

I always make my own, it's very easy, and I get the size just right.

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Icon, do you use ball grips on fire poi? i do a lot of throws and fingerloops are rubbish, can you tell me how you get ball grips and how to attach them to chains? (not ball chain btw, yucky stuff)

Thanks x

For my fire poi i use the quicklink usually because of throws and such but they are quite painful so i wouldnt recommend it. For sock poi my handles are film cannisters half filled with rice and cotton wool, lovely weight, great for contact.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Beth,

Yes, I use ball grips on my fire chains. I have a thread on it in the tech forum. I basically went to the craft store and bought two wooden doll heads (wooden balls with a flat side and a hole already drilled in it). Then went to the hardware store and bought two looped i-hooks that fit in the holes. I filled the holes with a little white school glue, screwed in the hooks, then heated the hooks for a while to harden the glue. From there, just attach them to your chains via quick links.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i use single loop leather straps.

but after seeing PoP's photo, i may well change soon...

icon -- i like, very cool

and beth -- spinning with just quicklinks for handles is hardcore - get some proper handles girl!

rossco and dunc have ickle monkey fist knots for their handles - they rock (both the guys and their handles wink).

they also have the best idea for sock poi handles i've ever seen but it may be a trade secret so you'll have to ask them...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
thats a bad ass idea, would it work with circular laces just as well?

i have a couple of lanyards that i might cut up to make into finger loops

Step (el-nombrie)

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
yeah i agree, duncs sock poi handles sounds very cool. My sock poi handles make an annoying rattle coz they arent perfect yet, but hey, its all about experimentation smile

The quicklinks on my handles and quite big and i dont spin fast so its not too bad, its just so much easier to use them then try to put ur fingers back in the loops after a throw, plus i dont spin fire much so its not too urgent. I'll find a solution one day, maybe even before falmouth but i highly doubt that, im far too lazy biggrin

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Beth sweetie, bring some rope (not to thick....not to thin) to Falmouth and I'll tie you some new monkey fist handles for your fire poi if you want. I'd suggest something like high-q nylon boat rope cuz it's very soft but the downside is they can melt if they end up in the flames. If you can find some of the thinner kevlar rope that'd be just grand smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
aww thankyou hunny hug i'll see what i can find x

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
about how much rope? ish?

ben_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
*bump*

anyone know a sensible set of knots to make handles on shoelaces? the loops i've made keep slipping and getting tighter and tighter...

i never got my knots badge from scouts, so any help would be appreciated. smile

please help keep the world clean - others may wish to use it

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
A bowline would be the one you're after; you can make it in to two loops as well if you want:

https://www.iland.net/~jbritton/bowline.htm

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
my fire-poi handles are similar to those of ICONs, but made out of a metal spirally type shape (originally was a cupboard door-handle), which already had a skrew-thread hole for an i-hook smile they are very comfortable to spin with (though of course can hurt if caught badly...) and the weighting is perfect for throws and contact biggrin biggrin

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
oh, and my sock poi have knots filled with plasticine!

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ohhh. what a splendid idea biggrin

Getting to the other side smile