Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Airwrap help pleeeeeaaaaaaaasssse

Login/Join to Participate

NYC PyroSILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:
I cant find any threads describing the kinda help i need...
i can sometimes get the airwrap down, but that's not so much of a problem, im practicing these with sock poi btw, anyway im having trouble after the wrap is done. The poi just dont go where i want it do and it feels really awkward trying to get the poi back in control, something i have yet to accoplish after completing an airwrap. i was wondering if anyone had hany good tips so the poi doesnt end up hitting me in the leg or head after the wrap is finished

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Have you read the section in 'articles' about airwraps.
I think it explains them pretty well, and there's a nice liitle video too. biggrin

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

NYC PyroSILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:
ya i've read it but it doesn't have tips on what to do afterwards ^^;;

Gav486SILVER Member
You have 23 seconds to comply!
122 posts

Posted:
Just keep practicing them untill you get the feel of how the poi move through the wrap, then it should be pretty straightfoward to go straight into a weave, windmill, another airwrap...

Just keep doin' 'em. biggrin

You cannot trust this boy! His mind has been corrupted by colours, sounds and shapes.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Just remember that once in the tangle you keep your hands perfectly still until the poi have untangled. Anything you do with your hands just makes it harder to exit cleanly.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I heartily disagree with that, Spiral. I always move my hands ~25 degrees counter the way the poi are spinning while tangled. If I dont do this, the heads are more likely to hit the chains and lose momentum. However, I dont think this is totally necessary, but its not imperitive to keep your hands completely still either.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
The heads shouldn't hit the chains because the poi are angled slightly when you tangle, hence there being outside->inside and the harder inside->outside airwraps. Rotating against the direction of the poi does make them pop out a bit easier I know, but I think you should probably learn to do it without first wink

"Moo," said the happy cow.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
(agees with spiralx and icon)

for the record I do just about what icon does if I have interpreted what he meant correctly.

and what gav486 says about going strait into a weave is probably the cleanest/simplest exit to learn first, though the windmill isn't much harder.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

all_fired_upnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
does anyone know if the kind of poi make any difference at all to hyperloops aka airwraps, cause i can sorta do them with sokpoi but have a snowmans chance in hell when it comes to doing it with chains (dog style)???

celebrate your mistakes, laugh, live and learn
i'm not as think as you hammered i am, and it's ok cause i got all sober to sunday up
comfortable is outside my comfort zone

WaokuSILVER Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
I'm really baffled too!! I can get into it but they dont unwrap... just make a tangled mess. I seem to be spending more time untying. how do you stop them from going over the wrong way tangling!! confused

Viam inveniam aut faciam ad astra sequor

ElectricStaplernewbie
33 posts

Posted:
I recently learned the airwrap because what i did was i let them have 3 beats then took them out by tugging on my handle, which handle to tug depends on the way they are spinning. During the time they wrap you hand should be raised but not pulling

USE SOCK POI
thats the most important part. use them to learn. They untangle easier and are just plain easy to work with.

Life is a box full of chocolates. Its full of the gross coconut ones.

eatyourbiscuitBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
it took me two weeks of nothing but airwraps to get them. i found it easiest to get them by keeping your hands still for the duration of the wrap and only mooving them again towards the unwrapping portion of the move. I agree it is best to use socks for learning them, but once you have them with the socks the world is your oyster. Its much harder but i can do them with fire poi on dog chain, glowpoi on ball chain and i have been seen to do them with ribbon poi on cord... and to be honest if i can do them then anyone can. i found its just a matter of knowing how much force to put into the wrap and at what point to move your hands out of it...

i hope thats a help, if not just ignore my ramblings ubbloco

"...be all that you can be, just as long as you are free..."

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i have just spent the whole weekend at falmouth attempting pretty much nothing but airwraps. i think i have pretty much goth them down now...it just takes lots of practise and patience.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.