Forums > Social Discussion > Looking to Start Own Performance/Circus Group

Login/Join to Participate

Jai - Staffmember
85 posts

Posted:
Hey all again,

Im situated in Tweed Heads which is in Far North Coast NSW. I have heaps of ideas that i think are highly unique that i would love to share with others and show around. I dont want to give them all away now because i want them to be mine. he he he.

I would just like to get some comments from people on how i should go about getting some people together for it. Really i want some people who are pretty good. Im not to bad myself.

Should i have auditions or something like that or just when i find people that are pretty good ask them to join? I want;
2 acrobats,
2 poi spinner,
1 staff spinner.

Anyone got any ideas on how i should go about it? Please post up anything because i am really serious about this. I think i have some really good ideas.

Luv Ya All,

Jai.

I can't wait to die, I'm going to Hell. They have fire down there!

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
i don't doubt that its nowhere near me, but where is NSW? please forgive my ignorance, i'm just curious

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
new south wales...?

oz, i think smile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Jai - Staffmember
85 posts

Posted:
ohhh soz, its in australia. down under. he he he. anyone out there who has started there own performing group and could give me a few tips on how to get started?

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
you can PM me and arsn if you want!! biggrin hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

SCRUBSerm....can you smell parafin or is it me?
146 posts

Posted:
I cannot help in the flesh but the spirit is willing! god damn this distance thing . good tho mate! bounce2 juggle weavesmiley cool

Jai - Staffmember
85 posts

Posted:
rikstik, i would love to hear your opinion about how i would get started, finding people to get involved and such. got any good ideas?

MissEgyptologyBRONZE Member
officially expelled from BYU
195 posts

Posted:
I've never started a troupe before, but perhaps a good place to start is on the HOP forums. Surely you could at least fine some poists and a staffer (is this the right term? I don't know, for I am not one) on here. And always in this kind of stuff everyone "knows a (insert particular skill here) guy." And you could network thusly. This would likely result in some pretty trustworthy performers.

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

Thanks, NYC,but I quit mormonism now XD

Jai - Staffmember
85 posts

Posted:
yer, that is a good point miss. the only problem is that i would like to see them before we start in a group. coz like i said i wanted amateur performers that can grow into a group. if i get really good performers to start with they might think they are better than everyone else and just leave. maybe i should get them to put up a video or have a big firespinning shindig somewhere so i can see them. thanks heaps miss, u gave me a few good ideas :-)

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
*Wishes you lots of luck

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Of course you'll want to see people... not just to assess skill levels, but to know you get on with them as people too. To have a successful troupe will involve choreography (cause a bunch of freestylers isn't a show...) and probably costumes. Arrangements is an area where people's egos and stress points come out. You've already indicated you have a lot of ideas
of your own: but if you want creative/ good people they will probaby have ideas too. You would then have collaborators/co creators rather than 'pyro puppets' living out your vision: a more viable likely long term future probably for a group.. as long as the abovementioned flashpoints are worked with well.
SO...
Tweed isn't so far from Brisvegas. How about you come to the Southbank Piazza juggle jam night in Brisbane on a Monday. There are quite a few spinners of assorted levels there and you can see who you like. People know people...and some people travel from the Coast. I presume you go to Burleigh on Sundays... Then there's Moonfests of course (next one Saturday 26th I believe...) at Shorncliffe.

If you want just Northern Rivers people I can put you in touch with a teacher in Byron, a stunning spinner, who works with a highly professional company who tour Europe etc.. so she knows exactly what is required of a professional troupe. She may know which of her students are keen/good and willing to travel to Tweed. Also Spaghetti Circus in Mullumbimby might be a good place to find acros. Good luck. PM me if you want....

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Also I suggest you move this to the Discussions forum maybe cause it's a serious question you're asking.. just a thought....

Jai - Staffmember
85 posts

Posted:
ohhh k, can i get one of the admins to move it across? if any admins read this can you please move this thread into Discussions Forum.

Just a lil thing for everyone who is out and about, i am going out to burliegh heads on sunday night and would love anyone who is interested in joining up to come along. i am the dude with blonde curly hair and will have a sleevless top that has Jai written on the back with a peace sign or later in the night i will prob have a singlet top on. Please approach me and tell me ur interested.

Jai - Staffmember
85 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

everyone take a look at this please.

Thank you.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hi Jai,
Good on you, you sound like yr pretty keen to get things going and yeah, Burleigh sounds like a good place for you to contact people. I won'[t be going there, but I am intending to go to Moonfest on Sat 26th
Also I have sent you a PM with contacts for my friend in Byron....
Cheers
Gabe

Jai - Staffmember
85 posts

Posted:
i really appreichate that gabe. i would love to go up to moonfest sometime but it is a really pain in getting up there. maybe one day i will manage to find a way to get up there.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
jai, startin a troope is a hard. try a few flyers n all that. spin in places where u might be seen, or where others might go.
good luck.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
hey Jai

mate you will need to get to know a few of the local twirlers a bit more...A troupe is a damn hard slog and you will learn to give up a whole lot of your personal time and have to travel where the business is.

get down to monday night juggle, get to know some brissie twirlers, get to know more of the coasties... do you know matt from three worlds? what about Oli from the goldie? Try to meet Rick from the coast also... hes good to know....start to make a few contacts and then you will find the people for the troupe... There are a whole heap more twirlers out there than on this site at the moment unfortunatly so this post wont reach many of the gold coastians. Unfortunatly the spinners may not come to you for auditions, you will need to go and activly seek them out ...(espically the coast hippies, I know this I am one)

once you know more people you will find it easier to find your performers smile

Hope this helps...

also hope we will see you at a moonfest or a juggle in brissie soon enough!

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Jai - Staffmember
85 posts

Posted:
valura,

you dont understand how much i have wanted to go to moonfest since i heard about it. but i just cant get there.

i have found a few people that are really interested and are in the local area. am going to keep looking around and if i see anyone i like i will definatly go up and speak to them.

as for the gold coast hippies, is that like a crew or something? ha ha ha, GCP. lol. just kiddin.

i know matt from threeworlds, but have honestly never heard of the others. i think that the longer i am up here, the more i will learn.

i got some advice from FlameOz. they suggested that i get the media interested in any way i possibly can. therefore i have the local paper ready to write a story on us, and an afternoon tv program interested in seeing what we can do. the program is called 'The Big Arvo'. lol. i think everyone knows that show. lol.

so thank you all for the great advice. i really apprechiate it. everyone has just held there hands out and said, what can i do.

i love you all.

peace for all,

Jai.

Jai - Staffmember
85 posts

Posted:
ohhh, thank you soooo much admin. i just noticed that this post is in discussion. you guys and girls rock!!!