Forums > Help! > Spinning in Bangkok

Login/Join to Participate

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
I'll be in Bangkok for work during the last week of March. I'd really, really, really like to spin, but I feel nervous about bringing kerosene-soaked wicks on an international flight (even if they've been washed, dried, zip-locked and vacuum-packed... wink ). I'm thinking of bringing wicking and just assembling a new set there, or if you guys know of any poi shop in Bangkok, maybe even score a new set. (We need new chains anyway.)

My sister might come with me as well, and she's keenly interested in diabolo and fire staves. She's happy with the staff she got from Japan, but would like another diabolo set. Any chance there's a juggling shop nearby?

If there are any fire spinners or street performers in the area, we'd love to come, watch, practice, maybe even learn a few tricks.

Much appreciated!

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't even bother taking your fire poi with you, unless you're really attached to spinning just them because fire poi cost about 7 or 8 euros for a complete set. The wicking is this white stuff, the Thais say it's kevlar, but for some reason the "real" kevlar wicks are significantly more expensive. I have the cheap ones, and I've got hundreds of burns on them,,,they still look and work great. Be careful what you buy though, some of the metal on the tubes in the tube cores is pretty thin. I had to throw out a set after a few burns due to metal fatigue.

You can just buy a set,,spin when in Bangkok,,and throw them out,,or risk bringing them back like I did,,,I had no problems.

There's not much of a fire scene in Bangkok,, mostly because the police don't allow it but the beaches are another story. You'll be heading to the Ko Sarn Road area no doubt?? There's a park about a five minute walk from there,,,along the river, where people meet for spinning every day about 4 pm,,,at least they did last year. And there's a guy in the park who sells well made wicks,,,ask around for him

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I'd advise you to PM deep_soul_sheep, he spent ages in thailand, when i was there there was a constant gathering in a park in bangkok but ive forgotten which park it was, do a search through the threads cos this has been mentioned before, not only about poi on flights but also about thailand, and the gathering in the park in bangkok smile beware thai spinners though are very full of themselves biggrin

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the heads-up biggrin I've read, and re-read all the threads on taking wicks on planes. However, there's an unshakeable fear that I may be the random person they confiscate wicks from. wink Flying domestic, I never really had any problems...they're just a little *little* bit more stringent on international flights.

I'll try to see if I can get in touch with deep_soul_sheep and hopefully they'll let us off work early enough for me to catch the guys spinning at the park. Ko Sarn Road... shouldn't be too hard to find.

White stuff for wicking. Could it possibly be fiber glass (?). I bought a pair of wicks from South Africa that we're also very fine and white... It didn't look like kevlar either, but it burned okay. (just not as long, and easily damaged...)

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated. biggrin

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure about the fiber glass thing, but if its spinners your after you wont find them on Kao San Road, despite it being an ace place where they'll prob be the chances of finding them r remote considering kao san road prob gets more visitors daily than london smile your best off finding them before you even get to thailand, or do what i do when u get there go to koh phag ngan or something and find them spinning on a beach

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
There's a girl called Mio who sells poi stuff just round the corner from Koh San.
Go to the Temple end, turn right, then take the next left and you'll be into backpacker territory (lots of people and bars around).
Mio and her boyfriend normally sit near the steps at the top of that street, they'll be able to help you out. Also, they're both very good at poi and really nice people.

Getting to the other side smile

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
ubblove i wanna go back to thailand frown

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Mio,,that's her name,,,ok, now I remember, and there was a kid named,,,,named?? ahh, my memory fails me again.,,it started with a P. Great poi teacher though.

I found when I spun with those guys, at the location Firepoise mentioned, that I spent way too much time and effort avoiding having people walk into me, and as the night wore on, it only got worse. I was thinking of starting a thread on this,,a " Why do people walk right up to you while you're spinning thread" but I haven't.

The white stuff?? could be some form of kevlar, could be fiberglass,,,could be asbestos...

The info booth at the to of KSR will give you directions to the park, I can't remember the park's name, but it's got about 30 letters in it. Just ask for the park where they host aerobics classes every afternoon, the one on the river.

Your original post suggested you were just going to be in Bangkok, not on the beaches but sadly PyroWill's statement about egotistical Thai spinners is all too true, but you're a woman,,,right? it may just be different for women.But with men, the spinning on the beach scene is (imo) way too competetive

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I never saw that competitive thing at all... hmmm. I think Mio's boyfriend's name is Pat... and he's stunningly good.

biggrin

Getting to the other side smile