Forums > Social Chat > jumping out of a plane.....

Login/Join to Participate

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
Moohaahaa, Coleman and I will be jumping out of a plane at the end of April to raise money for a very worthy cause
https://www.gdl.org.uk/

Global Development Links is a small charity based at the University of East London. Mr Moohaahaa himself will be in Tanzania this summer working on this project:

Tanzania 2005

Nestled in the foothills of Mt. Kilimanjaro, Uru is a rural district where local people rely on coffee and bananas to make a little money to survive. Local schools are cramped and often in an advanced state of disrepair. There is often only one textbook to a classroom and computers are rarely, if ever, seen. HIV/AIDS has had a devastating impact on many families with up to 80% of all families affected directly.

GDL will be:

Installing computer networks in local schools
Renovating nursery schools and building play facilities
Setting up a vocational training centre for HIV orphans
Transferring medical records in local clinics onto a computer database

If any HoPpers out there would like to help us raise money we would appreciate your help.

If you would be willing and able to make a small donation please reply here or PM Moohaahaa, Coleman or myself.

Cheers!

sunny eva sunbeam sunny

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there!

Have a great time... i did a couple of static line parachute jumps for Action Cancer a few years ago... tis utterly scary, but an absolute rush.

Tandem jumps are better... you get freefall!! And someone to help you land... which helps biggrin

Just remember to keep your eyes open on the way down biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
cheers for the tips firepoise, yeah we're doing a tandem jump biggrin weeeeeeeeeeeee!

have you got any tips for raising sponsorship money? ubbangel

sunny

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ermmm...
Well, i brought my sponsorship form round work, my dad brought it round his work... as did all my friends... I knocked on the doors in my street and asked everyone I met for about two months before hand.

If necessary, go spend a Saturday afternoon spinning flags or tail poi outside the local supermarket and get sponsorship that way.

It's lots of work, but worth it... make sure you tell them what height you're jumping from (for added drama) and how long you'll be freefalling for.

The night before you're going to be very, very nervous... sitting on the edge of the plane will make you want to give up... but get over your fears, because it's frickin marvellous biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Or do a post on HoP?

Maybe this will raise money.
Who knows. Anyway, I can't wait smile

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
hug

wonderful idea I will hopefully speak to you at the weekend

hugs n smiles in the meantime my brave friends!!

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Wow wee!! Jumping out of a plane sounds well cool. I do however think people who do this are mad wink

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
hmm.... wink

bump

sunny

sunny

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
check out these people:

https://www.justgiving.com/default.asp?country=uk&did=1

They've ripped off amazon's page design and they are one of many companies that hang around charities trying to make money out of them. They do allow people to give donations over the net though with credit card and it's dead easy to setup. They take a cut (of course) which is debatably scandelously high (about 5% - they're making a killing out of people's generousity basically), but if you know a lot of people on the internet you may get money you wouldn't otherwise. People can also donate anonymously, which peopel with more money than us peasent scum sometimes like to do.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
my uncle used to skydive as a hobby. then he messed up eek

never a good thing, i think he's still not up to full health, and it was three years ago

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i bottled it wink

but our jonny and eva are still going for it, accompanied by adam of the north.

just wanted to say to all three of you, good luck and have a great jump hug2

here's hoping for blue skies and adrenaline by the bucketload... biggrin

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
cheers.... well i'm pleased to announce that we all survived to tell the tale.. and the sky was blue the sunlight was gold and the clouds were fluffy and soft and the adrenaline was unbelievable. biggrin We had a great day and raised a fair bit of cash for GDL.. so thanks for your support and especially cheers to those of you who sponsored us..

sunny

sunny

bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:
nice 1!
i did 2 static lines a couple of weeks ago. loved it. gonna have to get better and get to the standard of being able to do freefall
how high did u jump from?

--the spark what lit the flame which started the fire that burned forever--

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
ubbrollsmile

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
I have jumped out of a plane before.

It was teh fun.

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
We jumped from 12,000 feet. It was a tandem dive ya see.

We did about 1 mile of free-fall in about 35 seconds.
That was mental. Then we floated down the next mile and a bit, and then landed most graciously on our butts.

You should all do this. I'm probably going to be organising another jump for my charity in September or October time. I'll let y'all know about it nearer the time.

You all must try this at least once smile

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
yeah man!

sunny

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I almost did a parachute jump once, but thankfully the OAP who was taking my flying lesson/telling me war stories didn't die whilst we were up (it did give an added element of fear thou!)

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
hey guys, wave just wanted to wish you luck on jumping out of a perfectly good aeroplane. I've been parachuting twice and it's ubbloco smile

Note - try and get out of the plane as soon as you can - when i went parachuting the guys who were out 7th and 8th had to wait for about 20 minutes in the plane watching everyone else jump out, they said it was the worst part. I got to jump 1st each time, which was nice wink

Have fun!! tongue

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Let me know if you're doing another jump later in the year, I might be up for throwing myself out of a plane for a good cause! Congratulations, your charity sounds like it's doing some great work. smile

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I'm half tempted, that thing called the sun has brought my adventurousness out. eek adrenelin is a good thing ! wink most deffomundo
EDITED_BY: jemima (jem) (1115128555)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
Cheers guys!

Will hexagonic - yeah man! I know exactly what you mean, watching Mr jonny Moohaahaa jumping out ahead of me completely freaked me out; gave me time to realise what I was about to do.... umm ubbloco

Anyone who hasn't done a jump (jem, flid, tea fairy) contact jonny moohaahaa if you want to, then you can have the best adrenaline buzz ever; and raise money for a worthy cause at the same time.. can't be bad biggrin

looking forward to seeing you guys after these censored exams are over.

ubbrollsmile

sunny

sunny