Posted:
alright

im about to put my order in for a tepooka staff

tell me.. do you think 145mm wicks would be too big for a 1.3m staff

or should i just go with 100mms?

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
I'm biased here, but go for the 145mm wicks, I would, actually I'm seriously considering making a similar sized staff 1.4 - 1.5 meter staff with 230mm wicks, rather expensive on kevlar though

mark

Calismember
28 posts

Posted:
230mm :O

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Yup, double wound 115mm kevlar wicks butted together to form 230mm heads,

mark

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I think its a little large.

I dont lke the flames too big, i dont think it adds that much and makes caontact harder.

however, if you want big fire, get rob to make you fully wicked staffs, 130cm staffs wicked right up to the handle. two of thease will wear you out reall fast, but the look ace.

go hard or go home, innit :P

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
possibly. i agree with nx: the size doesn't matter that much (so to speak), and big flames interfere with contact.

FYI, double burners (i've had double 65cm burners in the past) give a huge flag of flame for the first couple of minutes, and then burn down to separate flames.

i'm currently building contact doubles to the following recipe

1'' chrome steel, filled with similar-gauge broomsticks (or dowelling = in 4' lengths, fixed together with dowel screws), cut to 5ft lengths, roughly (i'm pretty short . . . these are long for me)
+ 75cm x 10cm kevlar wick on each burner
[x2]

i decided against bigger wicks, for a variety of reasons - partly cost, partly that i want to keep some distance between my face and the flames. as it stands, i've got 10cm wicks for a 1.4m staff; i do reckon 14.5cm wicks might be a bit big for a 1.3m. but if you've got an intuition one way or the other, i'd go with that, rather than relying on other ppl's opinions smile

q

ture na sig