Page:
pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
i have been told that if you use wire wool on you poi then they will give off sparks,

is this true?
if yes how do you do it and whats the best stuff to use?

nice one juggle

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
ill use a whole bag of wool...each cage...longest burn so far has been about 5 min...after my gig this weekend i should have enough time to take pix and post details..

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
5 min... thats long biggrin

"Don’t know how long, this one’s gonna take;
I could fail, but I’d rather be a fuckup, than a fake"

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
finally... this is the final design... ill be testing it this weekend i hope...

https://home.wanadoo.nl/rhoutappel/plaatjes/poi/finishedwirepoi.jpg

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Doesnt the Kevlar get destroyed by the wool?

All the cages I've seen have been well just cages,

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
guess not... i basically stole the idea of telpeva isil... as far as ive seen the action with his design it works fine.

tonight im gonna try my design... a friend of mine is going to assist with a bucket of water and a towel if anything goes wrong. i also bought a pair of swimming-glasses just to be absolutely sure... full covered natural fiber clothing... im ready for the ultimate pyromania.

*boy oh boy...* im very curious if its going to work!
EDITED_BY: anonomatos (1112382858)

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
soooooo...

first testrun behind my back. everything worked but only for like... 5 seconds. the only thing left after 5 seconds was a small amount of goop-like stuff still glowing but not burning anymore.

I guess I need much much much more wirewool, though it was filled to the top. do I need to push the wool more together so less air can get between it? this because the wool more or less all ignites at once.

what did i do wrong??!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Aw Fluff hug Don't worry, your efforts are appreciated by most kiss

Pitman we're Meeting in Cardiff on Friday 8th for a spin, I'll have two wire wool heads with me so you can have a look at them before and see them in action too. Should be able to answer any questions that you might still have.

anonomatos - I'd say dump the paint can if you're inexperienced, I've never seen them work well and will take a fair bit of knowledge and experience to build them and make them look good alight.

Just fill the wire cage with wool and spin away, the holes in the chicken wire are plenty big enough to let everything in/out.

Wire wool rarely lasts more than 30 seconds, it's the nature of the beast, the better and bigger it looks the more wool you burn every second it's alight so just ram the cages full of as much wool as you can and enjoy. It'd be worth while adding a second layer of wire mesh to increase the safety aspect and reduce likelihood of it flying off. The cages will only last a few burns tho, don't expect to be using the same cages for ever. Depending on the quality of the wire you use they will only last 10-15 burns as absolute maximum before they need replacing.

"do I need to push the wool more together so less air can get between it?"

No no thrice no. If you cram it all into a can and no air can get in none of it will burn, it's simple physics really. You need good airflow through the can which is quite tricky to get spot on but trial and error will give you something decent smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
I tried wire wool a few weeks back and it was pretty cool but i noticed if i fray out as many fibers of the wool as possible i get an insane amount of sparks. Fray the fibers with a fork or something so its really fuzzy but well secured. weavesmiley

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
3rd test: over 10 seconds with very very nice sparkles ^_^ I wasn't using enough wire wool and needed to pack it more.

like draghkyre said: the airflow needs to be stopped. If i have some spare time this week ill add another paint pot to the length and give it another try with different grades of wirewool.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
seriously dude, dumpt the paint pot, just use the wire cage and fill it up completely with wool, set fire to it and spin as fast as you can. It's as simple as that.

"the airflow needs to be stopped"
Yeah cuz reducing oxygen intake is great for burning things, and the available airflow isn't good for sending the sparks further at all rolleyes

(PS that's sarcasm in case it's lost in translation)

You really should read the links Fluff posted

Let's relight this forum ubblove

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
i find metal bird feeders are the best cages ive used.

to set up the spin i loosen up the wire wool and then just push the wool into the cages ove full but now packed in i just dunk the cages quickly, in and out of some paraffin to help light it and then move to an area to spin in of about 100ft.

the key is to spin them as hard and as fast and as long as you possibly can!

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
Written by: Ðraghkyre

Or if you get much buildup after your finished spinning.

tons shrug

but on the other hand the smaller hole size controls the amount of sparks thrown off...so i dont get a MASSIVE show for 30...but one thats still impressive and lasts a while...

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I've just decided to give up my wire wool spinning...for those who think it looks good it is but if you screw up any more you are totally screwed.

Wednesday night I screwed up one of my moves doing the cages with wire wool and now have a third degree bun on my shoulder and some nice burns on my foot too.

Please anyone who decides to take this on make sure you know all the risks as it is VERY dangerous and painful.

furinaxBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Sorry to revive an old topic. I just made two types of cages and will test them out soon. I've read a whole lot and still want to know more about 1. Safety and 2. Packing

1. What should I wear? I have goggles and gloves and a jacket with a hoodie and a winter-facemask and long pants and shoes... Is there a sort of material I should buy? Like, polyester gloves or something? Is leather alright? How hot/long does wire wool burn?

2. To pack my wool I just took the sponges and stretched them out, then coiled them into my cages. I'm not planning on using any fuel, so I'm just gonna light it with a hand lighter. I have images below of my two designs. They are both packed the same way. The grades go from 0000 (closest to end), 00, and 2. Is this gonna work? (there are only 3 sponges in there).

And the fraying out, well I guess that's a little late now since it's already packed in and opening my cages takes forever. But, is there anything I can do to make sure the burn is crisp and complete?

Cage 1:
https://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=5571L9QPJ&i=929531
Cage 2:
https://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=5571L9QPJ&i=929532

BTW I am a glowstringer so the second cage has a pretty short leash.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Jesus God Furinax,
stay away from polyester whatever you do.

if you are mainly a glow stringer and haven't done fire before I would strongly suggest that you get used to doing regular fire spinning before jumping up to do sparkpoi.

Leather is probably the best bet, the sparks travel for up to 30 feet in front and behind you, only do this far away from people, preferably somewhere that it has just rained.

Weave only, NO BUTTERFLY !!!

STAY AWAY FROM SYNTHETIC MATERIALS!!!!

Good luck, M

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
only use the 0000 or 000, the other stuff doesn't work.

handlighting with a regular lighter may not work, if it doesn't, use a 9V battery

what is the cage on the first image? ceramic or metal?

overall they looked pretty tightly packed, which isn't necessarily a good thing
after you unroll the wool, you need to pull it into strips

have you read the threads made by mint sauce and myself? there's some good info in there

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

furinaxBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
I've read like every thread so far that fluffy napalm posted... I've never done poi so yes that's why I'm trying to take all the precautions (just don't have an interest in fire). I'll be spinning in a parking lot at night most likely.

Umm yeah I have leather gloves. But, isn't cotton (for like clothes) easily ignitable?

Mmm both cages are metal (ceramic might break). I'll probably use a 9V battery since I really don't like playing around with fuel. You just press it on there and wait like a minute right?

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Tightly woven cotton is actually quite hard to ignite. Fluffy and loose woven fabrics go up more quickly. Denim and heavy wools take the least easily. I think there is a comparison table in the articles here. Above all else avoid synthetic fabrics, as they don't simply burn, they melt and heatshrink into your flesh. Lovely!

furinaxBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Mmm okay.

Soo, I tried to light up steel wool by itself on the ground and was... extremely unimpressive. Is it really possible to start up the burn by just lighting it? (I've seen videos of people lighting it directly) Even with the battery, only a few of the fibers burned, but no chain reaction/full burn. It would just stop after the heat source went away.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
You need to make sure it's loosely packed... but if it's not going up, try blowing on it. I find it only really goes crazy when you start getting a good load of air going through the stuff.

Cake or Death?

furinaxBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
LoL thanks guys. I just spun an hour ago in a parking lot. It wasn't bad, I'll get a video soon. What you said about the air is really true.

There was a little problem though. I only got about 20 seconds of burn. My first set-up was okay but there was about half of the wire wool still in there. The second set-up was great! I only had about 10% wire wool left and it was probably just the medium coarse wire (which I won't use anymore). The stuff was still glowing at the end but very dimly. It basically went 1. Sparks fly, 2. Bright glow, 3. Dim glow.

Here are pics of my first set-up after the spin:
https://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=5571L9QPJ&i=932711
And my second set-up: https://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=5571L9QPJ&i=932712

So how do I set-up the wool so it burns and flies better? Someone said fraying it with a fork? Keep in mind my wire wool comes in sponges.

furinaxBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah by the way the first set-up: I think the paint was boiling off or something. Apparently the texture of the metal changed. It became really rough and started changing color (looked bronze).

furinaxBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Here's the vid:

The sparkly poi footage is at the end.

AuroraJonesnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
Check out this video for all you sparkies. smile

https://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=725459987

Lemme know if this is what you're looking for... then ask the dude who's site it is where he got/made em.

The only difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that people with tattoos, don't care if you're tattooed or not.

AuroraJonesnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
Why is there what seems to be a brand name of Jo's black bush poi?... I would really like to just buy a pair instead of having to experiment and make some.
Anyone know of a site for them? I've googled and not found much...
Anything would help, thanks. smile

The only difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that people with tattoos, don't care if you're tattooed or not.

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
Buy a set of "Jo's Black Bush Poi"?
Well.....
you cant.
And here's why: "Black Bush" is the name of a type of whiskey that comes in a a bottle with a big tin tube around it.
"Jo" is the name of the person who figured out how to turn it into a device for spraying out glorious gouts of molten steel death.

Oddly enough when I tried Google with the words "Jo's Black Bush Poi" the second item on the list was a Youtube video of them in action.

Even odder: when I tried the words "Black Bush Poi" the FIRST item on the list was a link back to an original thread which not only has a link to a video of them in action but also a link to another thread on how to make them.

SO: my help to you is to tell you not to be so damned lazy, the search button is up in the top right hand corner.

I'm deliberately not putting the links here.
Go.
Do.
It.
Yourself.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Woah.. hold it down there Mr Squarefish..

Jo's black bush poi First item this time... confused

Black Bush poi First two items.

I went to google.co.uk rahter than using the on site google search.

shrug

4th link down, I hate Dave Chapelle

ubbrollsmile

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
UCOF,

I was using the on-site search function and please don't tell me that you don't get annoyed by people just wanting to be spoonfed instead of actually bruising their fingertips by having to hit a few more keys and use their own initiative.

Perhaps it sounded a little harsh but how many threads have been started on this same topic? how many on coloured flames?

The search function was included for a very good reason; so that people would be able to find info on their own without having to get it repeated by the old hands again and again.

And again and again.

And again and again.

And again and again.

And again and again.

And again and again.

And again.................

EDIT:

Also the link to Jo Derry's original thread is on the first page of this thread, which makes me think that AuroraJones didn't even bother to read the rest of it.

Props to Fluffy Napalm Fairy for taking time and doing a search for people early on in the thread, looks like it was a waste of time though frown
EDITED_BY: squarefish (1170443008)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"please don't tell me that you don't get annoyed" - Im 5 months and 6 days more annoyed by it than you are! ubblol

ubbrollsmile

Page: