Forums > Social Discussion > discussing online eloquence

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
angel

As some of you know I've been here for a long time ( biggrin ) and I've had the oppertunity to meet a lot of other HoP users from all over the place on my travels, or on theirs.

I have recently been thinking about the way people express themselves and communicate online in relation to how they do in real life.

We complain all the time about how limiting this medium (text) is for successful communication - how easily it can be misinterpreted and (for some of us) how difficult it is for us to convert what we think and feel into writing. However, from meeting so many of you face to face I have come to a different conclusion:

That most of us are more eloquent online that in real life.

Erm......... do you agree and why do you think it is?

Personally, I spend more time writing posts/responses/question online than I would if I had asked them in real life - meaning they are much more articulate and better thought through. Some people are very shy and feel pressure face to face that is alleviated using this intermediary method of expression. I have also found that when I meet people who I have corresponded with a lot online I am more attentive and more responsive to them than perhaps I would be if I hadn't had any contact with them before.

I think this medium allows us to be more expressive, more meaningful, and allows us to reveal more of what we truly think and feel than is often possible in real life.

x Fluff x

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Hmm...

Sorry I wandered off, Fluffy - I see what you're getting at.

I think much faster than I can talk, and much, much faster than I can write.

That leads to a slight incoherance that I can correct in writing (like I just did now angel )- so yeah - my eloquence factor can be higher in writing as long as I'm not feeling lazy! wink

Jo. smile

PS. Science is for life, not just for poi hug hug to all the numbers folk! smile
EDITED_BY: Jo (1110392885)

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SCRUBSerm....can you smell parafin or is it me?
146 posts

Posted:
i admire the eloquence of some of you on these HoP threadsclap,

i am a dyslexic and am still getting the hang of expressing my thougts in writting , yet i am excitted by the opertunity to express my self with little or no distractions and a spell checker to boot bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2

3,638 posts

Posted:
aww that is the most positive thing i have read today - it made me smile..... now I'm going to see a musical biggrin

later x

146 posts

Posted:
oops redface ooooops i forgot to use the spell checkon my last post rolleyes
any way hugs grouphugto all you cazy spinners you brighten cyberspace and the world too juggle juggle weavesmiley weavesmiley ubblove soapbox meditate angel2 devil hug footinmouth kiss spank weavesmiley beerchug beerchug ubbloco ubbangel ubblove biggrin peace bounce bounce bounce2 bounce2weavesmiley hug ubbidea

146 posts

Posted:
these graemlins are fun but won't someone inventubbidea one that spins a fire staff wave

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: rikstik

these graemlins are fun but won't someone inventubbidea one that spins a fire staff wave

Well it ain't fire but what about this dude?

Non-Https Image Link

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
He's cool!

Couldn't do a steve with those sholders though - hang on - I cant do one anyway...

What were we talking about?

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
'tis fire, with boric acid smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I'm more eloquent in real life.

At least all my last couple girlfriends have told me that I suck over the phone and internet, but in real life I'm fine.

I guess it's because of my facial expressions. O.o

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

146 posts

Posted:
me likey that there bounce but can i use it in a sentance?
oh yeah where do i get a anaimated avatar? ubbrollsmile

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
try google images smile. https://www.avatarity.com/
is also good.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

3,638 posts

Posted:
offtopic

ubbangel

biggrin

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking about this all day,,,and yes I do think you can be just as eloquent online as in real life. But ...a lot of it depends on your skills as a writer.

I have way to much time on my hands lately,, and I seem to have become addicted to this site,,,as in checking in 3 or 4 times a day....check email,,,,check HOP,,,it's become kind of a routine.

This is the only place I post in nowadays,,I used to post on Thorntree and a few other travel notice boards,,,,,,and then there was the time I was....... Natasha......Mistress of.......(oops),,,better keep that quiet.

So I read a post, first I have to figure out wether someone has made a typo,,,doesn't bother to check their spelling,,or is using some kind of lame internet shorthand, Next I have to figure out if a certain phrase or term is in what I call Englandish,,,,,,,things that mean something to people who live in the U.K. but nothing to me,,,,,10 000 miles away.

Once I have all that sorted,,,see,,,Englandish,,,,I usually understand what the person was trying to say and whay they were saying it. Sometimes it takes a reread or two ,,,or six if the topic is philosophy,,,the emotion behind the writing is usually evident.

Case in point,,,I did a posting here about two months ago,,,and someone replying to it came across as defensive,, thinking I was being angry. But the truth was I was distracted and wanted to get the post done in a hurry...so my emotional state was "rushed" not angry,,but my lack of relaxedness came through quite clearly, and was completley obvious to my wife, who read both posts a few days later.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"So I read a post, first I have to figure out wether someone has made a typo, doesn't bother to check their spelling, or is using some kind of lame internet shorthand, Next I have to figure out if a certain phrase or term is in what I call Englandish, things that mean something to people who live in the U.K. but nothing to me, 10 000 miles away."

I think this is a good point... and relevant to the discussion.

I also believe that laziness in online communication is filtering over into our everyday conversations, which is the point I made earlier, re: the internet damaging our conversational skills.

Getting to the other side smile

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

I also believe that laziness in online communication is filtering over into our everyday conversations, which is the point I made earlier, re: the internet damaging our conversational skills.

I think the exact opposite is true, at least in my experience. Yes, I do believe that constantly IM'ing people might be damaging to conversation skills since abbreviations are used a LOT there. However, I think the opposite is true of online forums where you get a chance to actually express yourself at any length you choose.

For instance, since people online don't know me, I have learned to watch what I say and try to articulate my thoughts better. This has carried over into my real life conversations. I also enjoy reading what others have to say and have learned much about interacting with others. Online forums have helped me learn to applaud someone for their accomplishments, to give praise where it is needed, and to explore many avenues of thought I would not otherwise have encountered with my "real life" friends.

So, I think the internet is a fabulous tool and has helped me better interact with people on a face-to-face basis.

3,638 posts

Posted:
hmm........... smile ......... it's just another way of learning to communicate and interact...

Page: