Sminkuzjinnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I'v been poiing for a while now and iv kind of mastered the basics, like weave and reverse weave and butterfly and stuff, and I don't really know what to do next. Any moves that aren't that hard but look really cool?

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Ermm well, when i first started i just tried the things id already learnt but on different planes and hight levels. Also, if you cant already try wrapping so you can move nicely to bf from the weave they`re always fun to play with. Also, try turning while doing the weave thats fun too (presuming you cant alreay) biggrin :rollsmile

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Now comes the difficult part,,putting all these separate moves together into a coherent dance.You've probably read about the whole idea of flow, and now is a good time to start working on it.

The best way (IMO) to work this out is to.... watch the speed of your spinning,,,by this I mean slow down. It's been my experience that most people have a tendency to spin too fast, and by slowing down it gives you a little extra time to think about your turns and transitions. Once you get the hang of spinning slow, you then have varying speed as an option. eg. three beat weave,,,slow,,,turn it 180 degrees,,,into rev. three beat weave,,,fast,,,then keep turning in the same direction into three beat weave slow again.

Try,,,three beat weave,,,,turn 90 degrees and into your windmill,,,do a giant windmill,,,back to windmill, turn 90 degrees,,,back into the weave..

Try exaggerating your hand motions ,,,like when doing the weave, do a big circle with one hand,,,now try it with the other hand,,,you'll figure out the timing on this with practice..

Take your three beat weave and lean back with it,,,try to get it vertical,,,bring it back down.

And then there's wraps and stalls,,,ways to change from weave type moves to butterfly type moves.....

Download a few videos that you like,,,and watch them over and over and over......there's lots of good ones on this site and they're an unfailing source of inspiration.

meltingBRONZE Member
journeyman
76 posts

Posted:
i leanrt how to do all the basic and i was the same as you whats next.
turn on the music and learn to dance whilst you are wearving and doing butterfly your co-ordination goes off a bit and its like learning the tricks al over again

remember move your body around the poi not the poi around your body

are you gonna drink that?

CelyddonSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
I'm kind of in the same boat...I know many variations of the weave, butterfly, BTB and OTH variations, wraps and some isolations. Are there any other moves I should add to my repertoire, or should I start focusing more on style?

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
That's entirely up to you, but I'd say one thing. Reels.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I'd say control. wink

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i shall work on control

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
get creative with the directions of your transitions. find ways of going from one to the next. i.e. from forward weave to a corkscrew to a butterfly to a windmill or anything else you really want. theres 198,549,984 variations give or take a few hundred

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jaero

theres 198,549,984 variations give or take a few hundred

confused on how you arrived to that figure.. even if you state give or take a few hundred!

meltingBRONZE Member
journeyman
76 posts

Posted:
try to dance dude. enjoy your self and try to keep your head up because someone is always watching.

it might be your last show but it is the audiences first.
make sure they enjoy it to

are you gonna drink that?

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PK_

Written by: jaero

theres 198,549,984 variations give or take a few hundred

confused on how you arrived to that figure.. even if you state give or take a few hundred!

A tuck turn whilst setting fire to your shoelaces for example. wink Followed by a tuck turn which turns your feet into a towering inferno of fire!!! Endless you see?

I am in the same position, I have learnt the basics and am trying to think of what to do next.

Maybe I should try and get this wall-plane air-wrap completely sussed. As I can only do it 50% of the time. tongue They just seem to tangle over each other...
EDITED_BY: McAlpine (1170019260)

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

neverquit18SILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
I have a ?; Can you wraps and hyperloops with ball and chain? Cause iv had a hell of a time getting it with the nylon strings but I ordered chains.....
thanks, confused

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
string is harder then chains or balls most people can not do it on string

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
try to withdraw to the point where you watch yourself spinning (and smiling) at the same time... wink

No serious - after the basics, come more basics, like controlling the planes and even more other basic stuff...

One "basic" exercise I tell:

Both Poi same-time forward
Stop right one (just one, Dude - the left still spinnin') wink
Both Poi same-time opposite
Stop left one (again: JUST ONE!) rolleyes
Both Poi same-time backwards

Now continue, until you're back to same-time forwards and try this split-time.

Trains stopping/ stalling and left-right brain coordination, errm independencies...

Next would be: Is your split time REALLY split time, or is it just slip time wink

shrug See ya next month wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

3,556 posts

Posted:
really most can't do it with string?...cool, i'm special...yay

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
yeah i run the juggling club in glos and hardly anyone can i find it difficult and hyperloops is like one of my main good moves.... but 9 times out of 10 people cant do it with string they just turn into airwraps or somthing like that

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

3,556 posts

Posted:
once again yay i'm special bounce

Faith

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
Take a good track of music, about 4 to 6 minutes long, which has varying tempo or a special middle 8 and work on a choreography.
Think of a great start (maybe on your knees or a dramatic light up), then get into an easy swing until the hopefully action-packed chorus (do stops to accentuate the change). The second verse should have some technical stuff to impress, then action again in the chorus and so on until the end (lighting up shoe laces sounds good), which can either fizzle out and you fizzle with it or a big dramatic bang with a good stall or throw.

If you perform in front of people you don;t know it is easier to have a set piece because you won't get stuck. Of course it can be loosely choreographed so you know where to put accents and where to flow.

have fun.

hm, pinecones, my favourits!