Forums > Social Chat > Help Please! Tis bout Biology and Very Important!

Login/Join to Participate

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
So, I think this one is aimed at the more doctory and sciency ones out there.

In short, Im writing up for a BTEC Fitness award, and it has asked me about carbohydrates. It has asked me "give three things that would happen to a erson if they
consumed adiet low in carbohydrates.

I've got one which goes like this: T
he person would feel tired, or feel that they are low on energy. This is because carbohydrates are the main source of energy in a normal diet. So if a person had only a little amount of carbs, he would have little energy and so would feel tired

but that's all i can think of!
Any1 know anything on this subject?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Heard of the Atkins diet? Thats one thing.

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

10,530 posts

Posted:
hmmm.. good point. Cheers. So that wud be weight loss. Kay, one left.
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1110314751)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
I was referring more to ketosis.

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

10,530 posts

Posted:
which is?

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
It's when your metabolism screws up causing a buildup of ketones in your body... which makes you sluggish and low on energy... at least do a google search on the word, she's given you a good scientific term but she's not gonna write the essay for you. smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

10,530 posts

Posted:
cool. Cheers for all the help.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Sorry I'm not much help with the info but I can't help but reword things smile

-----

Should a person only obtain a small amount of carbohydrate in their diet, they may feel tired, or low on energy. This is becuase carbohydrates form the main source of energy in a normal diet.

Also, the person would expect to feel tired quicker. A person participating in aerobic excersice who has an abnormal intake of carbohydrates would experiance fatigue quicker as oposed to a person with a normal intake.

-----

and i didn't even use google biggrin

Aimz xxx

10,530 posts

Posted:
hug hug2 thanks Aimee!Ur a big help. My phrasing has always been crap!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
FRD, this might help you, although it's not the best wikipedia page in the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrates

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-carbohydrate_diet

Good luck

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
you could go on about respiratory quotients (RQ values)? I'l blurb on anyway just incase your interested...(I'll do anything to stop me thinking about homework)

A respiratory substrate is the organic substance (i.e it naturally contains carbon) which forms the starting point for respiration. Basicly the respiratory substrate is the main diet for an organism, e.g. uuurm weasels may just eat eggs from birds nests so they may have a protein respiratory substrate. One way we can get an idea of an organisms respiratory substrate is to calculate its RQ. This is calculated by dividing the amount of carbon dioxide produced by the organism by the amount of oxygen consumed by the organism (human in this case) in a particular time. The RQ value is different for different diets. If a person was living on just fats (triglycerides) then the RQ would be 0.7, if they were living on purely proteins and amino acids it would be 0.9, and if they were liking on just carbs it would be close to 1. You could go on about the less carbs you eat the lower the RQ value perhaps?

You could say that glucose (broken down from carbs) is essential for respiration of cells. The liver helps regulate glucose levels in the blood and so when it finds low levels it compensates by either converting glycogen (a substance thats produced from glucose when you have too glucose in your much in your blood...if that makes sense?), stored in the liver back into glucose (this is called glycogenolysis if you wanna impress them), or by converting non-carbhydrate substances such as amino acids(or proteins) and fats(like glcerol) into glucose (this bits called gluconeogenesis). Gluconeogenesis is what happens in the atkins diet I think. You're blood has a low glucose concentration, so your liver makes glucose out of other organic substances like your fat storage. Anyway...hope this has helped a lil...If you need any more help, PM me cos I need an excuse not to do homework tongue

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

10,530 posts

Posted:
Weee! Lots of help! Cheers every1! IVe now finished the whole paper andI am handing it in at 3.30 today!
With all this help, It should at least get a merit for it! Yipee! grouphug

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Three things? That's a bit...vauge.

1) Decreased insulin secretion
2) Increased gluconeogenesis (production of glucose) in the liver
3) Ketosis (production of ketones)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

10,530 posts

Posted:
Yeah, but its only one question out of loads and loads!

Cheers 4 the help.