Forums > Social Chat > Yessssss!!!!!! This is what i love about spinning!

Login/Join to Participate

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Last night in the living room, i cracked open a freshset of glowsticks to practice a little. I put on Hyperia 4 Rave-mix cd and started throwing the strings. For two days now i have been trying to get a 4 or 5 beat weave, 180 reverse weave (and keep it going), and that chasing the sun move that looks so damn easy but for some reason i am having a helluva time getting.Even after reading in the lesson section over and over, the words still werent sinking in and making sense.I practiced for about 5 minutes. But it was one of those days where i had no flow or rythm to my movements and was constantly smacking myself in the face and the ever so popular crossed string slave lashing across my back.Frustration sets in, and i throw the damn things across the room and go pop open a Heineken to relax.Out of nowhere, like a vision, i could just see my self doing a reverse weave. Like a damn miracle ordaned by a higher power...(The Henieken) I pick the string back up, turn on the music, and after three tries, i turned 180 & was doing a reverse weave...just like that. I knew exactly what i had been doing wrong for days! After the turn, i was trying to cross to my left one beat too soon. Rusulting in a wild swing that was consistantly hitting me on the forehead, then causing the other to smack my shin... Now i can turn 180 into a reverse, and then turn again in to a forward weave, and i even got a 5 beat down a couple of times in reverse (by accident) but that means i am close..I know these arent exactly the hardest moves in the world to do, but then frustration factor can drive you insane...but then out of nowhere, you get clarity. And BOOM! its like solving a puzzle, or that brian teaser you could never get. I love the rush from the release you get when you do something new for the first time. I know..all of that explination for a damn weave. I guess that I am starting to see this as more than a hobby. But not as shallow as an addiction. Does anyone understand what i mean, or am i just babbling?? i need another Henieken.------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
i *love* it when that happens!!!go, superman, go!

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
*AWESOME*!Yea, i know what you mean, it just sorta clicks at the most ordane moments smile I'm still trying to figure out how to do ANY weaves greater than 3 beats lol, but at least i can turn with ease now ^__~------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
i love hearing about other peoples progress. i had the very sdame problem, so i got my hands ona staff at karate and started to just work my way through it. learning all that stuff with a staff is a great way. beacuse you can take it incredibly slow and you dont end up getting so frustrated. and then eventually you get a taste for staff and move on to devour it whole. then you love staff and poi and use one to pratice the other and it all kinda melts together like when you hold someones hand on acid. just flowing and melting and morphing. i kinda got off the subject didnt i?DRAKE

rhianmember
23 posts

Posted:
its so mad when you get a move like the weave its like you’ve been doing it for years and how could you have forgotten it. The movement just fits in and feels right. Well done superman :-)

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
anyone *else* get that weird sensation when you learn something new with certain activities? i.e. you feel like you've done it for YEARS and YEARS and it feels so good to do it 'again'. and its not like learning something brand new - just like removing some kind of memory block you had for your life up until now? I don't know.. i get it with unicycling and with poi... i feel like i would imagine a really old person might feel when I try and scan memory banks of how I 'used' to do it.bizarre

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

sprytemember
45 posts

Posted:
I Think I can explain that release, Its that your body can do it, It KNOWS it can. Its the mental brain block that makes you duck when yous ee the poi next to your face. Its like your teaching yourself to forget the reflexes youve been taught.Your Body can do almost anything Its your mind that needs more training.~spryte~

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
i finally figured out how to do juggling with 1 forward and 1 reverse then alternating the hands going over and under.(its the best i can describe it)

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
well done superman!!!!i remember the first time i turned a full 180' and kept the rhythem goin. it's such a good feeling when you cross a fundamental bridge. can u turn 360' as well? it's one of the ways i like to finish a routine, spinning 360', getting quicker and quicker, try it superman. tongue------------------------"some people see the world as it is and ask why? Others see the world as they want to and ask why not?"

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Just got back from a Rave here in Houston. It was pretty tight. There were more people spinning there than i have ever seen at a rave.. We had about 5 of us spinning in one section, and there was some shit being pulled...I was doing a weave with my arms outstretced above my head...then i did the 180 and went in to a reverse in the same position...i have no idea where that came from..i stil cant get the 360... i lose the rythem, but it will come to me eventually.Thank for the support people...damn my arms are tired..I am not the biggrst Don King fan, but the man has a saying that makes alot of sense"if the mind can concieve it, the body can achieve it"how very true..Peace, Love, POI.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

kashmirmember
10 posts

Posted:
just a question..why would you need to break the glowsticks in order to practice? isnt that kinda pointless?*shrug*its cool that you got it down though, i know just how you feel [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif">------------------[/image][This message has been edited by kashmir (edited 23 March 2001).]

i'm not god, but fuck me, i'm close -liam gallagher

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
quote:
just a question..why would you need to break the glowsticks in order to practice? isnt that kinda pointless?*shrug*
i practice mostly with dead sticks. and always with dead ones in the daytime. But i light them up to practice for a couple of reasons.1) Glow sticks are so thin, that you really cant see whats happening when they start spinning fast. So we do it at night and break them. I am assuming with practice POI with tennis balls, it is still easy to see whats going on.2) Usually break them when a few of us are together so we can get the full effect of the moves we are trying.3) And honestly, because i am new at this, it keeps me from whopping myself in the head when trying new tricks because i can follow the paths better. I still havent got the fluidity i need to combo advanced type tricks yet. So i still dont trust myself. So i tend to watch them, instead of feel them when trying something new..Baby steps right??Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
here is what you should really do with dead glow stickshold out from your body and heat the end not facing you with a lighterthey shoot the chemical over 50 feet for some reason.just a bit of useless infostill i practice with dead glowsticks and beaming poi. (beaming is more fun)