Forums > Social Discussion > I've had an idea about the meets thread.......

Login/Join to Participate

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ok, I think first off I have to admit I have no idea how this forum program works or if the idea I'm about to propose is able to be done. So if its a dumb suggestion Mr,Ms Mod please feel free to delete this.

In the meets and Events forums after the threads get a bit long new people coming along to them get confused as to exactly what is going on and who is going. To this end I wonder if it is possible to have the first post a bit like a poll where by the person that starts the tread can put all the most up to date info on the meet and where people coming along can add themselves to the list of who's going.

Right now we are using the quote function for making up lists and the lists only take one person to quote from the wrong (not up to date) list and we end up with a complete mess, people disappearing from the lists or moving from the are going back to the maybes list.

If this could be done it just means that by looking at the first post on the list you will be able to find the most up to date info on a meet without having to search through 50 odd pages of posts to find out whats going on.

Well there you go thats my idea........ ubbrollsmile

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Or - just save the social waffling for "Social Chat", thus leaving the "Meets" thread to useful info wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a good idea to me, anyone (Dom, Malcolm, I'm looking in your directions here! wink ) know if it could work similarly to how the polls thing works?

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Even if you did stop the 'social waffling' in there durbs this idea would save space. Think about it. For everyone wanting to add themself to the list now they have to quote it, which makes another post. If there was just the one list that everyone adds themself to how many posts would that do away with?

Thats if its possible of course.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Nice idea Skully, but completely over my head in terms of technical viability. Dom! Where are you?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Well, the original poster of the thread can edit thier initial post with relevant information on the event so that it's useful to new people.

And I'd have to think about the facility to add a public "Who's going" list at the top of a thread as it might put some new & shy people off. Or encourage them. Who knows.

And the problem with customisations is that when we upgrade to a new version of the board with different features we have to redo everything - and sometimes they mess up. So we try to keep mods to a maintainable level.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Ed did a fab thread about sydney but it keeps sliding away. I had wondered if there is a way of having information available on meets and there is in the meet others I believe. Ive put the information on Perth meets under my meet others.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
yeah,
we have a dutch spinners thread in the meet others section, and I basically go in and edit the first post whenever I need to add some-one to the list...
it worked fine up till now (3 edits only so far).
anyways, take a look at that thread, because I believe it would be handy to have a thread like that for every country, not just every city or every state, but every country, and then within the thread make a subdivision??

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!