Forums > Social Chat > Serious night shift trance states...

Login/Join to Participate

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
I hate mornigns after night shifts sooooo much!!! Imagine 12 hours of boredom, sitting behind a computer, doing pretty much nothing 95% of the night.. After about 8 hrs I somehow fall in something like a trance, mostly awake but pretty much asleep..
Last month I have read Terry Pratchett's Guards Guards, the book with the dragon.. I finished at about 6, went home at 7, fell asleep at 8 and pretty much dreamed of the events in the book for the whole day..
Today I'm watching here 28 days later, a light zombie film. There's light everywhere here, lots of ppl around, most of my desktop visible but I'm still scared off my arse.. Other days, I just greet fractals on the way home and see animals where there shouldn't be any which only used to happen to me when I was VERY seriously intoxicated.. It's just weird what a bored brain can do.. I guess sometimes I'd be better off without one.. biggrin anywayz, anyone had similar experiences with states like this..? Just so i know I'm not alone..? rolleyes

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
When I studied really hard and was up most of the night, I used to dream about my chemistry books as well. It actually helped, because sometimes I'd get stuck in the dream and knew I'd have to repeat that page the next day, whereas with other stuff I woke up and knew it was going to be fine if I got asked that in the exam! Yep. Brains be strange things.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

ZimBRONZE Member
Former Raver Invader... Not sure what i am now...
284 posts

Posted:
well... hehe um.... before i quit the evercrack (Everquest) it consumed my life to the point where i'd stay up on it for days at a time and when i'd go to sleep for a few hours and wake up for class... when i was waking up and getting into the shower i was so under-slept that i'd think to myself "hmmm.... what character am i gunna play today?" except thinking it in a real life way. freaky sh*t.

Been clean from EQ for 1 year, 1 month, and counting!

~Z

Clean for 6 months and counting... ah yeah, that's nice.

TheRenolutionmember
39 posts

Posted:
Ok, lets get technical here.
When you stay up for a long period of time, your body loses energy (that's why u become hungry) and therefore can not move oxygen around your body to the brain as well (that's why you yawn). Now, studys have shown the after staying up for the period of time you have, it's like being intoxicated to 0.25 (give or take). This would be causing irregular brain functions, and in ur case, hallucinations. Just try to keep your energy levels up by eating a pack of jellybeans or something.
So, no, chances are you are definantly not alone.
Rock on, Peace out - Ren

"When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this i cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home"
- Cliff Burton: "To Live Is To Die" -

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Ren, you're such a smarta**!
Yeah i got scared of 28 days later, too. More, jumpy than anything.....
As ren said, eat jellybeans, not choclolate, that can make you feel drowsy, my favourite are snakes!

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

funky_hatseating apples with chopsticks can be rather difficult
167 posts

Posted:
is that why when you have sleeping pills, but force yourself to stay up, you get hallucinations? confused

TheRenolutionmember
39 posts

Posted:
No, sleeping pills are actually drugs to put you to sleep. You'd hallucinate beacuse you are under the effect of them. Like if you drink to much alcohol.

"When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this i cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home"
- Cliff Burton: "To Live Is To Die" -

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
*shakes head* he knows everything

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
hay raven.

i, too, am on the niteshift, and i know jsut how you feel. the worst is when you have something that you HAVE to do (like register for school, show up at the courthouse to plead for a ticket, that sort of thing) first thing in the morning and you can't possibly change the time, so you try to go to sleep early, doesn't work, you fall asleep only to have to wake up an hour later to get on with your day. and when your done your sh!te, you can't go back to sleep, cuz then youll sleep too much and be late for work...

so you go to work exsausted and spend a 12 hour shift trying hard to keep your eyes open and to not see little green men dancing in the corners of the room that seem to disapear when you look at them...

yeah, i've been there.

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Silvur lol.. for me it's dogs and cats and rats and I guess there was a bear once.. biggrin and last time was a poi workshop so it was like spin and juggle from 10 to 5 pm, work from 7pm to 7am, workshop again, work again, sleep till 12 and then one more day of work and then at home sleep for 20 hours..: o))

Ren good tip with the jellies.. Im a chocolate addict and eat tons of it (Darjeeling tea + milk chocolate.. yum...) but will try to change to jellies.. See what it can do.. nice to know I'm not the only one hallucinating..

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.