entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:

My 'partner in crime' is obsessed with contact staff, and seems to go through them at extreme speeds (they're either bent or broken in less than a month), which starts to get pretty damn expensive.

Our best attempt was with an aluminum rod that had a wooden dowel that fit snugly right in. Many told me this was industructable, but its not true!

Maybe the type of wood in the wooden dowel is simply too soft(cheap, but I have no idea of what type of sturdier wood to use, without making the stick so heavy that its no longer usuable. Im also thinking using a thicker or wider aluminum rod would probably help. Unfortunately since he really wants to keep his stick to his 'ideal contact stick height' at nose length: a knapp 1.75 meters (yep, people often ask him if he's walking on stilts), making the staff thicker or wider will make it much too heavy to spin.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any advice or a better solution? I hope I hope!

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ummmmm, apart from some strange layered core, or using a lightweight resin of some type i have no ideas, and this is something i have a problem with as well, damn sticks keep bending....maybe some one else will have a better idea.......or just tell him not to drop his sticks ( i know how hard that is to do tho)

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
it sounds like your using a really soft aluminium alloy or really big wicks, i use 1.2 mm thickness pipe and then last quite well my current pair only have a very very very minor bend after 10 months abuse from lots of newbies.

it ifs being with wood in id guessing that hes spinning really fast and dropping it really hard, if not them im confused as to what hes doing thats breaking them, some info on the designs of the staffs would help.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
The contact staff we've been currently using is an alo pipe at 1.5 thickness and an overall diameter of 20cm. I also have my own contact staff at 1.45 meters, and these have also bent. Though funny enough, my smaller 'juggling' staffs that I use for double and triple stick combinations at 1.1 meter length with a diameter of 15cm has only once bent on me (some physics theory would probably explain this phenomena but I wouldn't know it).

Incidently, the last five or so didnt even have wick attached, as its winter and too damn cold to go outside to play, and I've realised, what the hell, its probably going to be crooked again by then anyway. I've just been taping cloth to the ends to simulate the wick weight.

The last batch (one week new) also just have a minor bend, and I suppose they still theoretically work, although its frustrating as all hell. Although I still manage a full steve it kindave bounces across my arms instead of the previous fluid roll. Arggh

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
get a different grade of aluminium

my stick is 25 mm diameter 1.2 mm thickness 1.5 m long and my sticks get mistreated by newbies on a regular basis

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Or go for titanium. It's a smooth ride, and lasts so much longer. More expensive but worth it, imo. I'd suggest weighting it down a bit to your taste, I find contact annoying with a light staff personally. I can't feel exactly where it is as well as a staff thats a bit heavier, and the speed is easier to control. Everyone's different tho.
EDITED_BY: musashii (1110263554)

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: Ben-ja-bin

after 10 months abuse from lots of newbies.

Oh thats right!

Blame someone else.

wink

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, neoprene, where would I buy something like that? Im sure it would work a hell of a lot better than the normal cloth I'm using now, and it would probably more than compensate with the fact that our new training spot has hard wooden floors as opposed to our previous one that was completely covered in mats. The oiling is also a good idea, but I get the feeling the issue is that the wood doesn't actually split, but just gives into the bend.

A friend of mine had already thought about the aluminum quality factor, and showed me where to find a wholesale metal retailer for the best quality. It didnt seem to help much and they don't sell Titanium in tubes. I'm seriously considering maybe using steel rods, or maybe looking for a mixture of steel and aluminum so it wouldn't be so heavy.

In the meantime Ive reverted to practising contact moves solely with my smaller double sticks. Yeah I know, Meghan told me I don't know how many times, I'll NEVER learn the matrix with those shorties, but damit, at least they roll!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I didn't say you wouldn't! I just said it would be hard!

Knoxious can do the matrix with baby stick, I saw it like this: eek

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i can do snes halo with doubles using 1m sticks.

tongue

no matrices though

frown

Love is the law.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
well i can drop two 1m doubles sticks like no noe esle!

Step (el-nombrie)

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
i've just put finishing touches to a pair of contact staves. i've had problems with stuff bending in the past, and made these staves so that they shouldn't suffer similarly.

i used 1-inch diameter chrome steel (pretty solid by itself), with broomhandles cut to length and stuffed down the middle. the wicks are secured with self-tapping screws which go perpendicular to the long axis of the staff, through the wick, through the steel and wood, & out the other side. so, in theory, this should be extremely resistant to bending, BECAUSE the screws hold the wood and steel under additional compression/tension when you try to stress the staff laterally (i.e. perpendicular to the long axis). steel is extremely strong under tension, and neither it nor the broomhandles can expand or contract more than a millimitre or so ('cos of the screws, y'see).

they've got large wicks (75cm x 10cm on each burner). and they seem pretty stable.

they're very heavy, but i consider that a bonus atm - better for slow contact stuff, and gives a better workout smile

i would avoid using aluminium: it's just too flexible. and three-quarter inch chrome steel is a bit too bendy also, imo.

q

ture na sig

sleeperSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
I'm assuming that there's some reason you can't just bend the staff back? I've got a fairly cheap chromed steel staff and it bends quite easily, but all you need to do is put it on the ground and press down in the middle and it straightens out nicely. I realise it probably stresses and weakens the metal, but if you're throwing them away anyway another couple months of use can't hurt right?
EDITED_BY: sleeper (1111028063)

stongsfireGOLD Member
53 posts

Posted:
Written by: mech

well i can drop two 1m doubles sticks like no noe esle!

HA.... I think that I can agrue that......

And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?

Hot ashes for trees?

Hot air for a cool breeze? Cold comfort for change?

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war

for a lead role in a cage?

--Pink Floyd

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
ditto
last week i dropped one into my face. hurt.
a guy i know, nick does mad contact, his staff is a really strong wood he got from one of those places where they just have wood (not a hardware store, but u no what i mean)
he then wrapped racing bike tyre (really thin) around the bit u hold, nicely, so it looked good and had grip, then wrapped a heap of normal bike tyre round the ends.
it bounces on concrete a bit, and hes had it for ages.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

stongsfireGOLD Member
53 posts

Posted:
Pineapple pete, what type of wood is it? sounds like something that would be a god send.

Hot ashes for trees?

--Pink Floyd

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
wooden cores, even in one inch steel, don't guarantee lack of bending

wood is a bit flexible, but the steel deforms plastically pretty easily. you can bend it back up to a point; sooner or later it'll acquire an S kink in it, and those are almost impossible to remove

ture na sig

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: entheogen

Hmmm, neoprene, where would I buy something like that?

try a plumber or diy store for foam pipe insuation if it's the stuff i'm thinking of. looks like a foam tube with the inside diameter the same as the pipe

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
or a sail/surf shop. they use the stuff to make [and fix?] wetsuits. that's just speculation.

have you tried froogling it?

ture na sig

stongsfireGOLD Member
53 posts

Posted:
froogling??

Hot ashes for trees?

--Pink Floyd

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
froogle; it's like google, but for medium-sized dry goods

buying stuff, i mean.

ture na sig

stongsfireGOLD Member
53 posts

Posted:
I see.....said the blind man

Hot ashes for trees?

--Pink Floyd

MayhemBRONZE Member
stick boy!
117 posts

Posted:
......to his deaf daughter......

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
www.fuckinggoggleit.com