Forums > Social Chat > Teachin people to spin

Login/Join to Participate

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
Hi guys

There was a topic here, started by Pele about teaching people spin.
The thing is, I was in a business trip some time earlier, and since my job has to do with nightclubs and all that, I met some coolest dancers in the club in the city i visited.
They got very interested in spinning, and I showed them some moves (3 actually) and, ah! they strated doing them right there! the 2-beat weave, the butterfly and some more crasy self-invented stuff i can't even name.
So yesterday i received a letter from their choreodrapher, that they have made a new show, where they spin glowsticks. (just glowsticks on short ropes). So now they're waiting for me to come and show them more and to teach them make poi themselves and spin fire. They browse through HoP, pick some moves etc, but they want me to come for a couple of weeks to be their teacher...
The thing I'm thinking of is... do I actually have a right to teach them spin fire.... Cus I've been spinning for a lil more then a year myself, and can't call myself a teacher yet....
Hm... actually, I don't know why I'm posting this, but... Ah, ok, gone, *blushing*, waiting for some kind or not replies to help me sort my head out a bit...
thankx

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Can you spin better than them?

As in...

Can you do more then them?

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
Yes, I can do alot more then them. I spin fire lots and all that...

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
then all well and good... smile

prepare a few lesson plans. look at the way you spin and try to break down all the little movements that make the big ones good.

smiles
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Sure, the whole spin scene seems to work on people know some, show some, reach some, teach some.. Is your question more is it OK to get paid? There have been a few chats on HoP about that.... seems to me that if someone has the money to give you, and you have put time into learning a skill yourself, sure, why not. These guys sound like fast learners and within a few weeks you'll be learning from them! (or is that really your dilemma, they'll learn so fast that you'll get 'shown up'!!) Either way, enjoy your time with them and if you get a few dollars, enjoy it!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
hehe thanx =)))
Anyway, the dilemma is not about the money at all. I didnt even think of it... maybe I should... hmmm... =) Anyway, I think that enjoying my time with them is the best thing to think about =)
And ah, yes, if in a few weeks they will be sooo goood, that I will be learning erom them, I'd be really happy, you know! =)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto Rob.

(damn my distractions...)

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
mmm... mmm.... mmm? Dito? mmm... my english sucks... what is that supposed to mean? redface

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Its derived from latin, meaning "the same", used to show that the person who said has the same views.

And ur english is fine from what ive read of ur posts... its ur latin that sux ; )

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
dito = "that's what i think too"

its actually spelled with two t's in english ('ditto) but we'll ignore that for now.

more correctly, a ditto is a mark used to denote that the word above should be repeated.

a single double quote mark is usually used: "

like this:

Code:

i want a lightbulb

" " " lampshade

" " " plug

cole. x

[edit: sorry fine rabid dog - posting at the samew time and all that. i wasn't saying i was more correct than you, but was saying my second definition was more correct than my general description of what it means when used like it was up there. although i was of the mind that it was derived from italian rather than latin...? closest latin word would be 'dicere'? smile]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
Lol. Thanks, guys =)

and yeh, my latin sux =))) Agree!

10,530 posts

Posted:
so does mine.... failed my mock GCSEs on it... bit crap really.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
ahh... well, luckilly, i dont have to pass any tests or exams that have to do with latin !
but i feel for you hug

10,530 posts

Posted:
yeah... learning latin was a big mistake.... but meh *shrugs*... anyway, our government over here has a saying... "those who can, teach" (or sumthing like that). so if u feel up to it, u shud definitley teach thos guys stuff... goog luck

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
tnx =))

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i got a D for my Latin GCSE

smile

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
ok
Here we say:
Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.
Those who can't teach write education policy.

(Doesn't apply to teaching spinning though!)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!!!!
After that i'm absolutely confused and not wanting to teach lol

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Ok, so now that folks have told you that you can teach them, I want to make a suggestion...or a request:

Please be sure to teach them about safety...If they work in a nightclub and are going to spin fire inside, please make sure they know the importance of having saftey people there to spot them....and someone manning a fire extinquisher just in case anything goes wrong.

It would be terrible if they did a show at their nightclub and something went wrong.

I go over safety with every new student I teach, and give my repeat students a refresher.

I'm very safety conscious, though.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

10,530 posts

Posted:
saftey is vital, specially if u like life and ur skin....

I got a D in my latin as well.... hope to improve it for the real thing though.

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
Sure! Safety is the first thing to talk about!
I absolutely agree with that. Then there come moves and all the rest

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
biggrin Thanks!!

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
No, thank you! hug