Forums > Social Discussion > Christian Voice - The most dangerous group in the UK?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by:

They have taken on Jerry Springer: The Opera, the BBC and are now are planning to tackle abortion clinics. So who are Christian Voice?

Plenty of people have things to say about Christian Voice. John Cryer, MP, called them "fundamentalist thugs". The moderator of the United Reformed church calls them "a disgrace".

Their controversial protests against the "blasphemy" of Jerry Springer: The Opera involved publishing the home phone numbers of BBC executives. They also persuaded cancer charity Maggie's Centres to turn down a £3,000 donation from the show, threatening demonstrations.

Now they are planning to take on abortion clinics. So who is behind this group?

They are a small protest network, led by Stephen Green who describes himself as ex-Anglican and ex-building trade.

The heart of his mission is to return Britain to the 1950s. Back then, he says, it was a Christian country. Ever since, it has been turning away from God and sinking into immorality. Mr Green says he can cite 57 laws that have corrupted Britain in that time.

The "blasphemy and profanity" exemplified by Jerry Springer: The Opera are only two of his concerns. Others include familiar evangelical targets such as divorce and homosexuality; he has a particular concern over gay police. Less obvious enemies include globalisation, GM crops and the EU ("an antichrist totalitarian regime").

This kind of treatment is exactly what our Lord Jesus Christ said that those who follow him should expect
Stephen Green
He is currently angered by the royal wedding, which he condemns, whether in church or registry office.

"Colonel and Mrs Parker Bowles should have been divorced for adultery, but they weren't because that would have been too embarrassing," he says. "So in the eyes of God they are still married."

He likens Christian Voice to John the Baptist who preached against the incestuous marriage of King Herod.

"We're saying to the Prince of Wales: 'You cannot have your brother's wife.' This woman is still married to someone else."

Mr Green has been leading Christian Voice for more than a decade, without causing much of a stir, and became its first full-time employee only 15 months ago.

He is cagey about membership figures, but indicates that they are more than 600. By way of comparison, the Evangelical Alliance lobby group represents about a million Christians.

Notoriety

The new prominence of Christian Voice seems to be largely a matter of good luck and good timing, although depending on your position it may be the influence of the good Lord.

It had previously led anti-blasphemy campaigns targeting the BBC, the Sunday Mirror, Peter Tatchell, and the play Corpus Christi.

But in complaining about Jerry Springer, it had an enemy that caught the imaginations and consciences of a large number of Christians, so it was able - by a viral e-mail and letter campaign - to mobilise the phones of many people not usually connected with Christian Voice.

Mr Green has then multiplied the impact of that campaign through the offence caused by his choice of soft targets. First Christian Voice gained major media coverage when it was reported that BBC executives received death threats after he published their home numbers.

Now the cancer charity Maggie's Centres has turned down a donation from the opera, and Christian Voice is heard loud and clear again.

The publicity that came to Christian Voice over the reported death threats was obviously unintended, but Mr Green is clearly eager to capitalise on his notoriety, using it to get his anti-abortion protest on the front pages.

Yet, when I suggest to him that Springer has been good for Christian Voice, he is ambivalent. He does not seem to have been inundated with money and new members, but has had plenty of threats and abuse over the phone. (Mr Green's website is, to be fair, as free with his own phone number as he was with others'.)

"This kind of treatment is exactly what our Lord Jesus Christ said that those who follow him should expect," he says.

On the other hand, when I tell him of John Cryer's statement that Christian Voice are "fundamentalist thugs", he seems rather to relish this kind of persecution.

'Disrepute'

"He ought to wash his mouth out with soap and water," he declares. "He should withdraw those comments or resign. He brings politics into disrepute."

But he talks neither in anger or sadness - he laughs heartily and seems to be enjoying himself.

Mr Green disapproves of teaching about other religions in school and especially the celebration of Diwali.

Nevertheless, he has some admiration for Sikh protests in Birmingham against the play Behzti, but says Christian Voice "don't throw stones through theatre windows".

Would he draw the line at breaking the law? Green answers thoughtfully: "Yes... unless the law contravenes the law of God."

Any opinions? It seems religious fundamentalism and zealotry is gaining popularity daily..

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
What a sad silly littly man

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Couldn't agree more.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Just out of interest, where are you quoting from?

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
oh natural selection how you have failed us

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
I think I saw that article on bbc news yesterday...

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Don't seem very dangerous to me. Just little yappy dogs.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
That's how the fundamentalists started over here, Lightning. smile

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
You obviously have no idea how dangerous little yappy dogs are....

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

He wants to return britain to the 1950 eh? Good luck to him, he's not going to get many followers for that I shouldn't think.

However, getting charities to refuse donations is a bit wrong, they could make good use of the money no matter where it comes from.
The worrying thing is that managing to persuade them to refuse it shows they know how to push the right buttons, not a great attribute in what certainly seems to be a fundamentalist organisation I think.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
..It's little yappy dogs that seem to have gotten control of like half our population, and got us a monkey for a president.

For gods sake get rid of them before they breed!!! eek

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Maybe they can sit down and have a nice, quiet chat with the fundamentalist Muslims about who has the One True Religion.

I'd pay money to watch.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
wow
im sure hes the kinda guy that condemns open sexuality in public and keeps gay hardcore bondage mags under his mattress......

i cant wait for a huge amount of gays and lesbians to follow him around for a day, making out furiously just to p1ss him off.....

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
mmmm...having thought about this a little:

I think this bloke is only odd because he (openly) thinks that more things a wrong with the world than others do. Many people don't like "globalisation, GM crops and the EU". I bet over 50% of the people reading this doesn't like one of those things. Maybe 30% don't like 2 of them and 10% doesn't like all three. use religion to defend yourself and you end up closer to the view point of our friend here.

It's kind of like the sum of his views are greater than the views themselves

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
*shrugs* He can think what he wants to and I'm not going to try and stop that, but I think telling a charity to refuse donations is just wrong. I'd say the same thing if it was done by someone who didn't like GM crops too, they need all the money they can get.

This I think is the main problem with using religion like he is:

"Would he draw the line at breaking the law? Green answers thoughtfully: "Yes... unless the law contravenes the law of God.""

It seems that if he deems a law to be ungodly, then he's fine with breaking it. With a little manipulation of words, a list of ungodly laws could grow quite long.

I've not yet met someone who didn't like GM crops or the EU feel it was fine breaking laws like that.
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1109771661)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

dafunkymahnmember
54 posts

Posted:
I thought everyone had the right to their opinoin, or do they only have that right untill they get it published on BBC?

I think this guy has gone a bit far, and the EU though it does resemble the beginings of a one world government, it does not do so any more than the UN. Besides I welcome the reign of the antichrist, just one step closer to getting home. The guy definatly takes things too far, but he has the right to his opinion, as you all have to disagree with him.

As to the title of the topic, dangerous? Lawsuits and protesting is nothing differnt than what the ACLU and Greenpeace do, so is it really a danger or just a danger to certain people's ideals? The whole throwing of stones thing could not be any more dangerous than asking people to chain themselves to trees when loggers come to cut them down. I am not advocating either one, so do not get me wrong.

Something humorus, hippies were the yappy dogs of the 60's now look at things, totally reversed.

burningbreezeSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
"Don't copy the behaviours of this world, but be a new and different person with a fresh newness in all you do and think. then you will learn from your own experience how his ways will really satisfy you." Romans 12:2

tell me do you think Prince Charles feels all warm and gushy inside by marrying another man's wife?, or does it give you a boost in the morning to watch Jerry Springer tear apart someone's personal life?

In Christ you are a new creation, old things have passed on. God isn't about "fire and brimstone" he wants to give you Life a Purpose and Hope, when you live for Him, you follow his ways because you love him and you want to do the things that please him. God hates sin, and when you sin you widen the gap between Him and you. God wants you to be happy, and when you life revolves around things like divorce, homosexuality, abortion etc... you push aside the joy God wants to fill your life with.

Yes Green might seem a little forcefull, but he's fighting for a cause, I do not know the man's heart, God does, if he's making an impact for Christ, and changing lives, then he has my prayers. If he has the right Idea and going about it the wrong way, or if his heart is in the wrong place, then I leave it to God to deal with him. Either way the good news is being preached.

if you ever get tired of the same old tabloid crap, give God a chance, I promise you that you won't be dissapointed.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: upandover

God wants you to be happy, and when you life revolves around things like homosexuality you push aside the joy God wants to fill your life with.

Hey, You're preaching to the choir here at HoP. We got rid of those gays years ago and this place hasn't looked better.

Now if only the Hippies and Jews would follow suit we might have ourselves a decent website...

Amen.

[I'm not putting the winky guy because he's smiling. If there was a winky guy that wasn't smiling, I'd put him... but there's no smile here. If we're gonna get flooded by fundamentalist bigotry I'm gonna need new emoticons.]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
ditto Well said NYC. This type of attitude makes me angry and frown

I think loudmouth groups like Christian Voice are only dangerous in that they propogate fundamentalist bullcrap. They're noisy, and they're bullies, but the best defence is to ignore them. They don't represent the majority by any stretch of the imagination.

Actually, it's things like this that really worry me. No doubt this "truth in Science" group have the full backing of Christian Voice. This is a far more insidious and dangerous group than Stephen Greens idiots. Trying to sneak ID into science classrooms by the backdoor is dishonest and cowardly. It's arguments don't stand up to close scrutiny, and major proponents of ID tend to retreat into theology when challenged in scientific terms. Make no mistake, I have no problem with ID being taught in RE classes, but it ISN'T science, and shouldn't be taught as such.

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I dont think his views are all that bad to be honest, or anything to be surprised about. Im very anti abortion, and its hardly surprising that he is as a christian also. If anyone cant see why then they need to go back to school for a few days and sit in on a few RE lessons, because they clearly didnt bother to listen the first time around. Not only that, but how can anyone question being anti-abortion? Nobody really wants a world where babys are aborted, you cant argue that its wrong be be pro-life. I know its not a perfect world and certain circumstances arent allways perfect for pregnant woman, but that dosent mean being against abortion is unethical.

I dont want to see gay couples, or straight couples kissing in public, not because im against either one, but because its quite horrible to see any couple going at it in public places. Its tacky and too much of a private thing. A peck on the cheek or something like that is fine, but anything else save it for somewhere private please. People dont have any consideration for other people, not everybody wants to see people tounge wrestling. Ive seen four couples in the past week doing it in public, sloppy tounges and all, hands all over the place. Im with you Stephen Green mate, bring back the 1900's nevermind the 50's.

Dont we do anything behind closed doors anymore? Oh wait no we dont, people even go dogging in carparks, and cottaging in public toilets confused. Where are we going to draw the line? People dont even eat in there own houses anymore, or at tables, they even eat on the streets which is why all our town centers are filthy with rubbish and teaming with rats. They've started putting signs and posters all over Blackburn town center because of the ammount of vermin its attracting.

I completly understand his views against homosexuality, if I was straight ide probably dislike it myself. Its not his normal way of life, of course it will make him feel a little unsettled. I dont like pircings or tatoos, they make me feel sick to think about them, and im totally against them, or anything that violates our bodys.

...and dont get me started on Charlses wedding! The man will be the head of the church, and he first of all marrys in a house of God, and vowes to honour and obey his wife, then has an affair! Its disgracefull, he didnt care about anyone but himself when he made those vowes, certainly not Dianna. If he was any kind of a man he would have refused to marry Dianna, who he was presured into because the royal familly needed an heir, and actually married the woman he loved. He didnt because he cares more about being king than anything else, he should have done the right thing and stepped down if he really did love Camilla. There are so many things wrong with that man its untrue, I am not looking farward to the day he becomes king.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit_Joe

Nobody really wants a world where babys are aborted, you cant argue that its wrong be be pro-life.

People dont have any consideration for other people, not everybody wants to see people tounge wrestling.

Dont we do anything behind closed doors anymore?

1) Yes I can. My personal beliefs on this are immaterial. People can argue anything.

2) I like kissing in public. I also like firedancing.

3) Almost certainly wink

Love is the law.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Freedom only for the members of the government, only for the members of the Party — though they are quite numerous — is no freedom at all. Freedom is always the freedom of dissenters. The essence of political freedom depends not on the fanatics of "justice", but rather on all the invigorating, beneficial, and detergent effects of dissenters. If "freedom" becomes "privilege", the workings of political freedom are broken.

In a democracy, everyone has the pristine right to vent their thoughts and philosophies. However we may stand to them, however we may think that they are wrong. IMHO even these right (and left) -wing extremists have the right to articulate what (garbage) is inside their brains.

Whenever we start to censor what is coming - in whatever direction - we form a certain moral and violate it at the same time.

Therefore let the public decide, what they can accept as the truth and integrate into their lives, and what they resent to - and let the individuals speak up. This is democracy, nothing else is. shrug at least IMHO....

@Brit Joe: Nobody wants a world where mothers/ parents believe that it's better NOT to bear a child - unfortunately we are living in such world. So IMO instead of prohibiting abortion and criminalize mothers/ parents, we should work towards a society in which mothers/ parents are happy to decide PRO the child. As for the time being: There are enough children on this planet already - most of them suffer - there is not much need "to get your own"... and I prefer mothers/ parents to abort, instead of child abuse/ domestic violence/ child prostitution/ child rape.... get my point? As long as you feel incapable to raise one - try not to get pregnant in the first time...
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1159784468)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
"Mr Green disapproves of teaching about other religions in school and especially the celebration of Diwali."

what a small minded biggot this my green is spank

this may be off topic slightly but watching the simpsons on telly last night lisa lost her faith and found bhudism which i thought was great but it was the attitudes of the small minded christian community that i found sickening.

the reverend lovejoy, trying to coerce the simpson family into bribing lisa back the their faith angry

also having watched the film "dogma" there was a nice line in it about it not mattering what religion a person follows, what beliefs they hold dear as long as they have faith in something and that they should not follow the literal meanings or interpretations of a book.

the bible it's self has been translated and copyed so many times in so many languages it has been altered, bit's left out or bits added due to church pollitics etc.

surely if there is a "true" religion then it should be about being true to yourself, accepting things for what they are and being open minded and willing to accept other peoples beliefs and way of life without condeming them.

being agnostic i have an objective oppinion on religion but it bugs me that someone can be so blinkered that they follow the literal teaching of a book.

religion is and has always been a form of control, it is a power that haas been held over "sheeple" for 1000's of years now.

No god would wish it's followers to kill, bomb and terrorise as a way to prove pure faith, if a god did then it would be an imputant god and not a wise, understanding, forgiving god.

"BABYLON fire down pon dem men"

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

being agnostic i have an objective oppinion on religion but it bugs me that someone can be so blinkered that they follow the literal teaching of a book.

religion is and has always been a form of control, it is a power that haas been held over "sheeple" for 1000's of years now.

to state that religion is about power and control is decieving. religion is alot more than that.

to say that its a 'blinkered' person that follows the literal teaching of a book is narrow minded.

You dont have an objective opinion, in my opinion smile

Love is the law.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Most dangerous group? I don't think so. Their leader was on the Heaven and Earth show last month, where a church of Scotland minister basically tore him a new arse about his view of a vengeful and destructive god. He's uncharasmatic, annoying and came across as being pretty dim.

Yapping dogs covers it pretty well. They'll probably step over the line eventually, and which stage they'll get dismantelled in short order.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jeff(fake)

Yapping dogs covers it pretty well. They'll probably step over the line eventually, and which stage they'll get dismantelled in short order.

Or move to America. ubblol

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

psycotic_furbyBRONZE Member
Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:
Did anyone see Mr Green on Question Time a while back, with Janet Street-Porter. I dislike her most of the time, but she quite rightfully told him where to go, put him in his silly little place and almost (almost) managed to shut him up.

Christian Voice are a nothing organisation full of bigots who need to realise the whole world doesn't revolve around them and their particular interpretation of some thousands-year-old book.

He's opposed to any speech that goes against (his brand of) Christianity, to the point of legal action, yet staunchy defends his rights to say and publish whatever hate filled nonsense he likes.

He's also deluded enough to believe he has a right not to be offended. To paraphrase Stephen Fry - "You're offended? So f**cking what?"

Sorry if my views come across as half-cocked and pointlessly crude, but this little prick has been getting on my wick for a few years now, and he's STILL nothing.
EDITED_BY: psycotic_furby (1159814223)

Eww, Liza Minelli...

The communists gave my mother a job, teaching sculpture to limbless children.

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
He could be just doing it for attention, and money.

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
brit - joe. i dont mind you having problems with other ppl and their actions so long as you do it in the privacy of youor own home.

seriously dude, some of the things you say i interpret as borderline homophobia and bigotry. if ppl are kissing in public then donot look and wanna go dogging or whatever in the car parks at night thwn why should you care? do you live in that car park? why does it bother you when its their choice. be thankful u live in the UK and you are allowed the freedom (at the momoent) to do what yoou wanna do and other ppl have that right too. plenty of ppl in this world dont.

going back 1950s britain, you mean that time of and big influxes of ppl from other countries lured to the UK by lies told by their colonial masters then having to deal with [censored] housing, rations and a repression of personal expression because its not the "done thing". what you should accept is that all these things that you cites as disliking probably happened then anyway but behind closed doors or in dark places but you just didnt hear about them.

going back to victorian britain? well, what can i say. simply look at "victorian dad". you mean those colonial times where the UK tried its damndest to dominate the rest of the world even though its a small country...oh hang...the small yappy dog analogy fits in here.

finally, before you havew a go, i'm british as well so i'm allowed to dis my own country. but anyway, the things that yoou describe will happen soon enuff in the UK anyway because the powers that be are taking away all mine and yours rights and legal standing so soon we wont have the freedom to do all those things we love and those other "deviants" that yoou talk about will probably be lined up against the wall. bet youo'll be happy then eh?/

------------------------
as for this group, religious fundamentalism is a big problem in this world and anything that perpetuates a lack of communication between diverse groups is a BAD BAD thing. at least it sounds like ppl are going up against these guys and showing them what morons they are.

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Jesus joe? How do you exist? Homosexuality is as natural as heterosexuality. Animals are homosexual, primitive tribes sometimes had four genders, (and lets face primitive means closer to nature right?) It's not natural to wear clothes and suppress our desires till we're behind closed doors.... Homesexuality is as normal as bigotry. And I know which I'd rather try and exterminate, happily your not making it any easier.

I don't care what people do in public, but if I thought that public displays of affection, public nudity and public sex, would make our society more liberal and make our kids and us in general be less sexually uptight, I'd be all for it. Not just because of some of the things that doc lightning has said in other threads.

You know jack about prince charles and the pressures of being in the royal family. The queen has been training and groomed from birth to be queen. She's queen for the rest of her life. You got to choose your job and your interests and your clothes and what you do on your days off. She didn't. Not only did she have to grow up like that, but it's continued her ENTIRE adult life. Prince charles has no doubt felt that same enormous pressure. So he made one mistake under it, that he thought was the right one at the time? And you crucify the man for it. I can't and probably don't want to imagine what it's like to be in the royal family.

Written by: Brit_Joe

Not only that, but how can anyone question being anti-abortion? Nobody really wants a world where babys are aborted, you cant argue that its wrong be be pro-life. I know its not a perfect world and certain circumstances arent allways perfect for pregnant woman, but that dosent mean being against abortion is unethical.

Women can question it joe, because we have to be pregnant / invalids for 9 months of our lifes. I want a world where babies are aborted, because I believe a fully grown woman has more right to control her life than a small thing in her belly with no brain. That's not even considering any kind of rape or quality of life arguments. Tell you want joe, everytime you have sex, you have the 1 in ten chance of being ill for the next 9 months, and then you get a free child that you have to feed and keep for the next twenty years at least. And you have to get married to somebody to help support it. And since it's in the 1950's, you're also social ostracised. Have fun!

What being in an imperfect world means joe, is that in this world, it is unethical to be anti-abortion.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: upandover

God isn't about "fire and brimstone" he wants to give you Life a Purpose and Hope, when you live for Him, you follow his ways because you love him and you want to do the things that please him.

Would you prefer that someone lives their life the 'right way' because they truly believe what they're doing is the right thing to do rather than a sycophant who hates the way he lives but does it anyway to please God and get into heaven?

Would you prefer a Atheist Altruist or a Self-serving Sycophant?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Page: ...