roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Just a rant

We have a thing called a Deb Ball here, (now called 'Presentation Ball' formally) you do it in year 11, the girl asks a guy (from same schooL) to partner her and on the night each couple getys presented on stage, courtsies, then all of the group do about 3 dances together. The girl dresses in white and gets beautiful and the guys get a classy matching suit.

There is always an after party that's heaps of fun.

The thing is.... I missed my year because there were triple as many girls as guys and I couldn't find a partner. But the organiser says that I can do it even though I'm in year 12.

So here I am, fantastising about my dress and my hair...when I don't even have a partner yet. I don't know what to do. I don't really have any guy friends I could ask. The organiser said I can do it with a guy from another school but I still don't have any guy friends.

I mean, I've still got several several weeks, but it's getting so upsetting that I don't have a partner.

My best friend didn't get to do her deb because she didn't want to at the time, and now she really regrets it. I don't want to have the regret of not doing it!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
go pick a guy who you have never spoken to who u think is cute, tell him u think hes cute and u want him to come to the ball with u smile flattery will get you everywhere

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Is it who you have or simply the having that is important?? There probably are a heap of guys out there waiting to be asked and crying cos nobody asks them,
Any cousins?? Freinds brothers??
In a time of no sexual discrimination can you go with a female friend??
Can you go to a teacher involved and discuss it?

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
can i be your date?

i'll wear a nice suit and bring you a lovely flower and everything

smile

Love is the law.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
A girl I know did it with her sisters boyfriend
Someone else I know did it with her cousin
I did it with a guy who is in my Venturer Unit

The good bit is we didnt have to have a guy from our school... or else I would have been in trouble...

I asked one of my male friends, who is a year younger to do it with me, and he said yes, then the school told us that he cant partner me, because he is a year younger than me and in year 8, if he was in year 9 but a year younger than me it would have been fine... how does that work?

But just ask any guy you know, if he says no, ask someone else, surely you know someone...

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Oooh. we have something similar comming up too. The end of year prom.
Seen my dress and odering it on mums pay-day biggrin It's bright pink wth lots of sequins and glittery bits biggrin
In my groups of gf's at school where all going with each other, so you know i've had to turn down all the dates rolleyes

Good luck with finding a guy that is a) cute and b) can dance wink tongue

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Dont the guys wear DJs? - much classier than suits.

We got 2 balls a year at school - The VI Form Ball (they're the top 2 years), and the Valentines Ball. They were great, you didnt have to have a date, just go and have a laf biggrin
We'd have a dinner, a band, and at one of them there was even a gambling corner (you got a fake £5 with your invite for a bit of fun)

You should find a pro dancer - that'll really impress your mates ubblol

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
ahh, the Debutante Ball. *brings back memories*

I used to be in the Air Training Corps when I was a teenager and made my Debut with them. The Deb was to be shortly after I joined, and I had my eyes on a particularly cute sargeant. He declined my offer (pfft!) and it was suggested that I ask the CUO. Don't know why I hadn't noticed him before but phwoar! I definitely had the hottest partner.

Anyway, we learnt the Pride of Erin and a sexed-up cha cha (shocking!), and developed a relationship. He ended up being my 'first real boyfriend' and we had great times together for the better part of a year. Taught me loads about life and misbehaving. I was 15-16, he was 19 had a car, a job and very relaxed parents who were wealthy enough and civil enough that my parents were not worried about me staying over there (my family has warped priorities). hehehee *fond memories*

Aaanyway this guy introduced me to a network of people, some of whom played major roles in my life, and some who I still consider valuable friends, more than 11 years later.

So, the point of my little history, is that you may well find a partner for your Deb ball who you had never noticed before, who might end up playing a large role in your development as an adult biggrin

Good luck!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Haha, that's a lovely story Flash! smile

I'll ask someone within the next week or so, but I can see me getting really pissed off if they say no and being really angry for the rest of the day.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't worry too much, all of the formals I've ever been to have been incredibly sh*t (whether with a partner or not), people get far too excited wink

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: xabandonedx

I can see me getting really pissed off if they say no and being really angry for the rest of the day.

just make sure u remember to tell him u think hes cute first, flattery will get u everywhere smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Hahahaha