Forums > Other Toys > hop gear review: flags...?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
likwidSILVER Member
53 posts

Posted:
anyone? they look like alot of fun and i'm just wanting some input from people who either have a pair or have used 'em before..
thanks smile

SeraphireHoP's Original Smelly-Hippie-Scum-Bag
270 posts

Posted:
I like Flags. I love the sound that they make. Sooo fluid on turns. And I don't know if anyone else feels it, but they kind of put a bit of a pull on you, like they are trying to spin you around. But on the other hand, some moves are a bit restrictive, and I find that they can be really strenuious on the arms and shoulders after a while.

Get a pair, good in clubs, if you can find the room.

Music gives Soul to the Universe, Wings to the Mind, Flight to the Imagination and Life to Everything.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE! hug

dsei.org Stop The Arms Trade!

likwidSILVER Member
53 posts

Posted:
sweet biggrin
i think i'll get some then...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
The HOP flags are light and dont take up much room and are lovely to spin. Making flags is fairly easy if you want other colours and styles. I have just got a square silk set that are lovely to spin as well. ubblove

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
oooh, flags are nice, i would love some, but as i am a boy it would probably look a little silly. Any ideas on making some macho hardcore stylee flags would be greatly recieved :-)

Juggling isn't useless, It just isn't useful.

Neural Coding is Idiosyncratic:-)

'Do you like dry cerial? Hope so because we've drunk your milk. Yours Sincerely, Your Neighbourhood Milk Thief'

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
just put pics of naked girls on them wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
So dunc when are you posing for the naked pics then?.......... Well if boys can have naked women on their flags why can't us girls have naked men?
Non-Https Image Link

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Personally, I find the HoP flags a little light- but it's all down to personal taste.

I like Dom's flag design https://www.londonjuggling.org/dom/flags.html

(Spitfire owns a set), and I make my own fairly similar.

I highly recommend a curved design over a square design. They look much nicer when spun. But again, that's down to personal preference.

As Seraphire says, some moves can be a bit restrictive (in a similar way to tailed poi), but flags are generally lovely to spin.

And Megafish- flags don't look silly on a boy! tongue

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Get noisy ripstock ones and spin them in a manly way. biggrin

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

likwidSILVER Member
53 posts

Posted:
welp.. i got a pair of orange flags biggrin
fun times they are..

spinning them side by side w/ a pair of poi is a little weird..haha.
weight diff's and whatnot [poi: all weight on one end... flags: all throughout the length of the leading end]. so needless to say, wraps are... interesting (though possible, if you get it close enough to the handle).

they did suprise me a bit, though! being flags, i thought they'd handle like crap in the wind... but w/ a ball chain lead, they do quite well smile (still reasonably spinable (sp?) in 5 - 15mph winds)

so all in all... highly recommended for anyone wanting something visually bigger or just somethin they can take into clubs and anger fewer people [no glowstick/plastic tube with led's/beamer to hit them with.. definately a plus. not to mention the fact that they're less taxing on your body than beamers (but nothin beats 'em as far as i'm concerned when it comes to their lifespan + amt. of light they put out)].

hope this was of some help in answering questions or settling doubts re: the flags...

*robyn*BRONZE Member
111 posts

Posted:
flags are great! i have many pairs. they're my favourite toy bar far. a good work out for the arms as well as being pretty.

i can't say about hop flags. all my flags are PROflags by perdy. i highly recommend them!

www.perdy.net

my state of mind creates my world

Flagboinewbie
4 posts

Posted:
first off, in reponse to Megafish's remark, some of the best flaggers i've met, are the uber macho, heavily muscle gay circuit bois and DJ's

and now, as a flagger myself, I love the art form, i own and have made several sets ranging from Tye Dyed Silk that pops and glows under black lights, to Lame flags that shimmer under club lights and look incredible in the sun.

one of the best sites for the Art would have to be Phillip Bryan's www.flaggercentral.com.

u can do just about anything with flag making, from installing LEDs to my friends Colourchanging, LED flags, no clue how he made them, but they are incredible

POI_Jedinewbie
3 posts

Posted:
There's nothing at flaggercentral.com it has a notice to post an index page... what's up with that? confused

What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity. Strength and Honor.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Colourchanging LED flags..... ahhhh!!!! You have to get some pics up of this.... dont think you realise how excited you've just made me! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Too light!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Before you all say they are too light, I think you should realise that flags are meant to be light. It feels wierd if you are not used to them, but they are fine if you are. The HoP flags are fine, but after seeing flags in a more sheer, floaty fabric (some of which were hand made flags) I'd say you can do better than the colours and fabric here.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
It is nice to be able to pick shimmery, pretty fabrics, I've made a couple of sets for myself, but the HoP flags do move very nicely and are easy to use, even if you're not used to flags smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
The hop ones also have robust chain and handles and are made from durable ripstock. I think you could even scrub them if you needed to.

I still find them lighter than what I make but I wouldnt give my HOp ones away. They are nice and bright.

Is it the Truth?

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
And look great under UV light.

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I think Doc Lightniong has a great pair of orange flags, Im sure he has a video on here somehwere, at least I THINK its doc_lightning spinning them. They looks really big (bigger the better I think) Ide love to spin a pair sometime. Sniper has a pair of flags. but there very small (compared to docs? orange ones anyway)

flaggerboys (google search) has some great looking pics, and there all huge...the flags look pretty too wink

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

drewskiBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/?v=zDk0mFBS5U8

Tye Dyed, Blacklight/ LED Flag Video

Arabian Nights/ One Might Weekend

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
wave

Hellos... just in case anyone wants to try something different from the HoP ones (which are lovely too smile )... Lisa (Faberge) makes incredible flags.

Not too big, not small, they don't tangle, good weights, swivels, and gorgeous shimmery material... anyways... just thought I'd let you know biggrin

PM her if you're interested...

biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
How do you go about making your flags then. I've been thinking of maybe making some for a while now, but have no idea where to start.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
and while we're blatently flouting the site rules... wink

my mate erik makes small flags that i can do buzzsaws with biggrin

weavesmiley

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Shussshhhh...

hug2

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
I love flags.. tho they are loud and annoying at times! i got a video in the video section of the forums.. Take a peek if you wish. It's from V-day when i went to the club

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
pssst....

my flags can do buzzsaws, isolations, hyperloops, in fact, any move you can do with poi ubbrollsmile

pm me if you'd like to see photos/short vid

thanks for the plug clare wink

*runs*

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
ooo..Id love a video and any tips on how you are making them now.
I just scored 60 yards of curtain weights for $20 so I am stoked. Will try soon to make some of the beautiful flaggerboys ones soon as mine have gone missing!!

I have a stash of flags fabric waiting for me to get enthused, but I seem to have passed my enthusiasm to locals here wink

hug hug hug hug to Lisa

Is it the Truth?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fabergé

pssst....

my flags can do buzzsaws, isolations, hyperloops, in fact, any move you can do with poi ubbrollsmile

pm me if you'd like to see photos/short vid

thanks for the plug clare wink

*runs*

flag airwraps are yummy - they get that gorgeous spirally vortex thing going on ubblove

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep yep... and under UV light eek

ubblove

FightingDragSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
About the "Manlyness of flags"
What about fire flags???
Get some wick, and weave them yourself, then wrap around the weaving to secure them, be sure to give your hands about a 5-10 inch distance from the wicking, there ya go.

Page: