Forums > Social Discussion > Where ARE all the masters anyway?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
I've been looking through old threads for a while, digging in all sorts of interesting topics. Along the way, I keep coming across statements like "oh if you think so-and-so is good, you haven't seen nothing" and "anybody who's REALLY good hasn't got the time or the interest to enter COL", "nobody who's REALLY good comes around HoP" or, often from the more famous members, "oh I'm really just starting, I've seen so MANY people so much better than me it's sick"

So if these elusive-yet-plentiful-yet-never-seen mythical figures of Insanely Spectacularness aren't on any of the video compilations, don't have websites, don't participate in any forums, and don't have up any online videos.... where the hell ARE they, then? They certainly aren't in movies. Did they all run off and join some circus in Siberia or what?

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

Sorry, I can't respect a move named "hyperloop" wink

that's a diabolical statement! wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
orbit:"there isn't really a system that the community as a whole agrees on. "
Thats a good thing, life is not like a school exam, there is not ONE correct answer.

Orbit: "People can't even agree on what to name moves once you get beyond HOP... Is it a weave or a cross-follow? A buzzsaw, a wheel of death, or a bicycle? "
It reflects history. and its just the way that things are. Damn it, people can't even agree on what language to speak, once you get beyond HOP... Is it French, English, German, spanish..... ?

Kaelgot rice:
Ummm OK, Sorry, thats my fault, (although you have to admit the similarities with the 2 diabolo move)
I used to hate that name, too.
Now I'm apathetic. wink
Mind you, the maxi-plus was a great name in the same post, and that never stuck.
If it did, their could have been a "maxi-plus-ultra"
"Maxi-plus extra absorbant" and
"Maxi-plus-ultra with wings".
I think there should be more poi moves named after press on towels.

I fear I'm drifting off topic here so lets pull it back:

There are masters of most disaplines, and so there are masters of poi. But many follow a tradition close to tai chi
https://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Philosophy/Taichi/shiu-pak.html

Glass

PS, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned in this thread: "Water" wink

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: Glåss

There are masters of most disaplines, and so there are masters of poi. But many follow a tradition close to tai chi
https://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Philosophy/Taichi/shiu-pak.html

nice one Glass smile

reminds me of something my Tai Chi teacher once said, went something like this.....

"i have no idea how far i have come so far on this Tai Chi journey. if say, if Tai Chi is a mile long, i don't really know how far into the first hundred yards i have travelled. i know for sure that i have reached the first ten yards, but then, progress should be slow"

smile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
out of everyone ive met, out of all the amazing shows ive seen, as much as i loved the shaolin monks this guy

https://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/lyle_24/myhero.html

is my new master for he posesses an uninhibited expression connected with the music and free of the influence of the ego of others

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
im getting an add?

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
under the add .... u have to have activex enabled .... this video is mastery if ur having a bad day it will make u smile, if your having a great day it will make laugh i love it

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Love is the law.

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
quote:mo-seph]
I think the word "master" has pushed a lot of buttons and confused the issue slightly

I totally agree with you there! Maybe I should've worded it differently... I was being just a bit facetious, and people seem to be taking it all much too seriously.

Written by: mo-seph

I think that one reason is that the community is relatively young; if you went off to learn dance, or martial arts, you'd have a whole range of teachers who've been doing it for 5+ years, and I don't see the same level of developmental support in the twirling arts.

Exactly what I think too!

I didn't want to get into a 'so what IS a master anyway/well we don't NEED them anyway/there's no such thing/etc!' debate, since theoretically most of the things people have been saying along those lines could be argued for every other discipline as well. That gets you into a huge, endless mess of philosophical disagreements.

For the purpposes of my original question/topic, 'master' can be defined quite simply as: Some person who has been dedicated to a skill for at least several decades, could make a living at it, and generally amazes people. Period.

Guess it's a bit late to be pointing that out, though.

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I didn't want to get into a 'so what IS a master anyway/well we don't NEED them anyway/there's no such thing/etc!'

Welcome to HOP smile

Love is the law.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
MAXI PLUS FOREVER!!!!!!!!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
If that's your definition:

Written by:

For the purpposes of my original question/topic, 'master' can be defined quite simply as: Some person who has been dedicated to a skill for at least several decades, could make a living at it, and generally amazes people. Period.

Then you definitely won't find any here. It's hard to make a living at it, and that's not neccessarily what people want to do. But then that's all been covered already.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Written by: arashi

MAXI PLUS FOREVER!!!!!!!!

mwahahahaha!

you'll be lucky.

just wait til you see my new 'kleenex' range of moves.

wink

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
ubblol

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it is hard to make a living at. And most people wouldn;'t even want to. But some people do. I'm putting in a bid for Knoxious here. FlameOz, Knoxious, and assorted mates who travel, busk, teach, do everything from scrabble around doing markets to full on stage shows that blow peoples minds. And have inspired others, contributed to here etc... But masters? Yeah, for the stage this art is at, they are. And pioneers... have taken this relatively new art into sychro and choreo and onto the stage rather than the bush or the beach...
And then you see someone like Kyle McLean who is just totally opposite; he contact staffs like a tree root! And I just laugh and smile every time I see him cos he's so on the edge. And that's a different sort of mastery to be so in the present!!

Actually one thing I love about the scene is that it is so varied and evolving and basically ( despite the odd snappy post,) good humoured. I mean, people spin socks! And I saw someone spinning little teddy bears a few years ago.. winnie the poi. (oops, I think that was Kyle again!)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
I just wanted to say, this has been a very inspiring thread to read. ubblove

I suddenly want to go dance my socks off, learn Tai Chi and become one with my poi, whilst covered in pantyliners... weird.

Have just recently gained a renewed love for HoP and I love the fact that there are no strict rules and guidelines like a particular style of kung fu. We should follow the great Bruce Lee's ubblove example and incorporate techniques and inspiration from everywhere.

Sudden desire to keep learning and striving.... right, best go do it then! biggrin

grouphug all round kiss

love
Lx

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I like this quote from a Tai Cha site:
Written by:

I’m a relative amateur at Tai Chi Chuan, less than 20 years at this point.

Oh, if you like staff (whispers quietly) then you could try looking at our evil twin sisters site. But don’t tell anyone, it’s a secret wink

Late thought. You could always go down to the crossroads wink
EDITED_BY: Stone (1109919457)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
that site is awesome stone - it has some really good technique advice.

i linked to it on the juggling newsgroup only yesterday in fact: see smile

i’m going down to rosedale, take my rider by my side.
you can still barrelhouse, baby, on the riverside

wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Gabe is talking about me doing things to bears again.

Sorry to be OT, but thought I should clear my name. They were stuffed monkeys. Someone broke into our house one night and left about 12 of them around the place. No really.

eek
EDITED_BY: Kyle McLean (1109944209)

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
I used to spin a couple of little teddy bears

They were very cute

I fixed then to the string using nooses

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyle McLean

Written by: newgabe

I saw someone spinning little teddy bears a few years ago.. winnie the poi. (oops, I think that was Kyle again!)

sorry to be OT, but thought I should clear my name. They were stuffed monkeys. Someone broke into our house one night and left about 12 of them around the place. No really.
eek

ubblol ubblol ubblol

If it was anyone else, I'd think they were making it up...

So I guess that the true teachers are going round sneaking into peoples houses and delivering stuffed monkeys.

monkeys ate my brain

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
A bit of exotic karma never hurt anyone... angel2

A) it does feel as good

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
The karma comment was made thinking of a giant teddy bear playing with glass on a string, not the break-in. But yes Moseph it really did happen.

A) it does feel as good

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
ubblol I like you

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I've seen some great stuffed animal poi, but I personally prefer rubber rats... their tails make them really bouncy. Haven't been able to find them in stores for a while though...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
cheers cole,
rediscovered the site chasing footwork
hopes Tanessa does nude batton for Col 6

beerchug

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Why is one looking for masters. Only if one has a question . . . .

But if you are looking for another master you will never find the answer. For the truth is - you are the master
Ask yourself and you will answer. You know the move you are looking for wink . . . probably youll do it tomorrow, probably never. ubbangel

cheers

andy

PS: couldnt resist. im sorry hug

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
meditate

ubblol

Getting to the other side smile

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Hello queen of Belfast!

Nice to have friends around hug

beerchug

And to say something on topic: Masters? Difficult!
Imagine Gandhi or Van Gogh as a Poi player - wicked and smooth
And now Bush or Blair eek
Mastery is in the eye of the beholder....
... do I repeat myself ?
wink
biggrin

andy

PS: The question was where ? Watch your girlfriend! There !

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I love this thread...! ubblove

ah for everyone else.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
i dont know about masters, but the spinners i worship/draw inspiration from are:
oli, ros, bluecat, laura, beth (<-laura and beth should make some videos... they have some crazy moves. to think i never knew about them before PLAY),matt, simian, cole, and UCOF (last 3 i cant understand what they're talking about half the time. so they have to be good. and simian's only video was great.)
all of these guys are from the UK (except matt i think). there might be some people i forgot.
and i dont think you can really call someone a master... really depends what you're into. (body movement, just standing in the same spot doing crazy technical moves etc.)

Page: