Forums > Social Discussion > The worst busker i have ever seen

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
Has this ever happened to you?

I was walking down Salamanca square to get a sandwich for lunch down at the bakery. And along the walkway was a man who looked probably in his late forty's with a chest full of juggling prop's.
Now, the thing is, these props looked well used and the chest was well decorated and looked like it had seen some travelling in its time.

The point of the story is.... This guy could not use ANY of the props in this chest, all he was doing with the balls and clubs and such was the basic three item juggle.. no tricks or anything. He was even dropping the balls while doing this as well.

It was seriously like this man had just inherited this chest of props only the day before.

I practise two disciplines every day. Poi and Juggling.
Now i am not pro at either of them by any means and i wouldnt feel comfortable busking or performing specialy for an audience. But i know for a fact that i can juggle phenomenonaly better than this guy.
if i had showed up next to him with say four clubs i would have made him a laughing stock.

Needless to say i didnt say anything to him. But do you think that someone should have? i mean he has every right in the world to stand out there in a public place and perform.
But there are some buskers who really dont have a clue.
i have seen an old man just stop at a seat put his hat on the ground and just blow and suck into a harmonica. Not really playing a tune at all.

What are your thoughts?

Also, i am completely self taught juggler. Is there a good juggling equivalent of Home of Poi that has good resources that i can check out?

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
worst busker ever - 2 choices really:

woman singing and tapdancing (out of tune and badly) with no accompaniament at the top of a register she shouldn't be singing in...

guy playing the xylaphone very badly, one note over and over again...

but I still gave them money - because its so easy to criticise someone's efforts as not being perfect, but getting out there and having a go takes some courage - my money rewards that courage...

have a go, I don't care how bad you are actually, as long as you're having a go!!

ubbrollsmile

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Saw a great busker at Exodus festival. He did a 30 minute show leading up to one acrobatic trick. But his character, use of the audience volunteers, set ups to jokes, were fantastic. used so many of tghe old lines, but htey were brilliantly done. And then when he finally did his trick 'the camel of death'.. it was superb.

aghhhhhhh spank

that's the worst kind of busking in my opinion, building that bloody crowd to take the hat around to...BORING!

ubbloco

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Malcolm just told us he got arrested at the buskers festival on in Chch at the moment!! He was handing out free copies of our calendar AND on his birthday and they decided he shouldn't be doing that!

(but I guess they let him go cos he was able to tell us the story so obviously wasn't locked up in a cell somewhere!)
peace ooooops help wow

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
oh my gods - let us know if you need us to bake a special cake to help him get out of jail wink

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
georgemc: you mean he as in hemlock? Eeep that is no good. I hope all is well now.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Sounds like it was *he* as in MALCOLM getting arrested!
And yes, the busker I saw at Exodus was Hemlock, and No, Ade, it wasn;t boring at all. He was brilliant, had us all in stitches and we left totally satisfied.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I second Newgabe: Please clarify who was arrested frown

&#2384;

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
saw a brilliant busker in Australia, a really old looking guy wearing a tinsel hula hoop skirt, on slilts and hula hooping. He did this all day to make money for a church I think, but what made him so fantastic was his SMILE! this guy was grinning from ear to ear all day, he looked so happy!:D

theres a wee guy who busks in glasgow, I've only ever heard him play a handful of tunes, but totally good on him for getting up and doing it every day. In fact there was a violin player in inverness who only played two tunes, repeatedly...It did get a little annoying when you were walking past him all day, but again, he was getting up and doin his thing, lots of people will say I could do much better than him/her, but never have the balls to get up and actually do it! winkubbrollsmile

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: burningoftheclavey

saw a brilliant busker in Australia, a really old looking guy wearing a tinsel hula hoop skirt, on slilts and hula hooping. He did this all day to make money for a church I think, but what made him so fantastic was his SMILE! this guy was grinning from ear to ear all day, he looked so happy!:D

If you saw that in Melbourne I know exactly who you were talking about smile I don't know if he moves about in Aus but I definitely know he's in Melbourne biggrin

&#2384;

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Who said street buskers had to be good?

Now, in cities with assigned pitches and a busking performers program, they better well be good.

In Busking Fests, absolutely they better be.

On the street randomly? Not a performance. Most of the street corner performers don't even concider themselves remotely close to pro, so to compare them to such is really degrading. I know I've been sitting in a park, practicing and playin something and had people walk by and toss coins in my basket (I carry my practice stuff in a picnic basket). I've even tried to give it back.

Sometimes it isn't entertainment or skills, it is the perception of the person walking by.

There are so many levels of busking that to make such a harsh judgment as to say you wouldn't give a coin, or that you would even think of being rude to someone (which I think walking up to someone and telling them to practice is, since I am well sure he knows it every time he drops) seems really off to me.

Unless he were saying he was the best and asking for money, I'd not think anything wrong of it.

I would also like to point out here how incredibly difficult it is to be a (good) human statue, especially in the heat of day. Picking lazy poses is easy but to pick ones where you are prop supporting (arms out, etc) and hold it...without muscle tremors, with shallow breathing and eye control is literally the hardest performance I have ever done. And a good human statue will really make people guess.
And to do it for hours on end (and I know so very few that can) is really impressive and astounding. AND to be able to control an audience (and you can) while doing a human statue is even more amazing.
The amount of physicality and presence it takes (to be good) far exceeds that of most of the street musicians and jugglers that I know.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Ade

worst busker ever - 2 choices really:

woman singing and tapdancing (out of tune and badly) with no accompaniament at the top of a register she shouldn't be singing in...

guy playing the xylaphone very badly, one note over and over again...

but I still gave them money - because its so easy to criticise someone's efforts as not being perfect, but getting out there and having a go takes some courage - my money rewards that courage...

have a go, I don't care how bad you are actually, as long as you're having a go!!

ubbrollsmile

Thank you Ade.

That was brilliantly said

hug

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Hm.. used to be a woman in Chester that 'played' the accordian- supposedly busking, but all she was doing was making so much horrible noise that shopkeepers would come and give her money to go away..

Incedently, I saw the 'camel of death' guy in Byron market last year.. didn't get his name though..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
yeah think it was actually Brenn! could have been adelaide though.... my time in australia was very drunken sweaty and hazy! (hence why im coming back soonish;))

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

Page: