pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Ok so where to begin.

So i descovered some thing i once loved with a passion, some thing that i could work with and find myself and make new friends along the way, learn many things, do many things, see may things.

Circles of light has been an inspiration to me. I was a source for me to see people that are non community members and what is happening with poi all over the world.

All this talk of being paid for submitting entries confused wrong!. you dont like it then you dont submit!. simple.

Every single COL has been an inspiration, every video has its fault there is nothing we can do about it.

There is so much negativity around right now in many areas of discussion, technical versus old school twirlers.. etc, Col being crap and not what you expected.

Since the days of col1 the community has vastly grown, educated its self, grown wiser and needs feeding with more and more with more upto date terminology, technicalities and abillities and from a broarder range of people... this is not going to happen, not right now with all of the negativity around.

I have submitted to col3 and 4, people email me staill to say how much that they like what i put together and the things that inspired them the most out of what i do. that is good in my eyes because it is about inspiration to other people.... not for monetary gain. If you want to earn money then every one here would be performing for a living and the market around spinning would be much greater than it is now, we are still a minority community and it is still growing, we still have to show our support to this and inspire the new people that come and join us.

How many times has it been spoken about who we would love to see in a col video compilation?... numerous times.... is not going to happen because of peoples differing opinions.

This year out of a mark of respect i will submit a video again, i may even title it "inspiring old school",
I hope that this community pulls together, all of the offshot communities should be drawn back to their roots and help the new people like the old schoolers once helped us.

If it wasn't for home of poi and malcolm, the community that we all grew up in and got to know one another we wouldn't have come this far in what we do.

I will gladly take down poiinthepark and focus soley on helping homeofpoi come together as it should, any remark from any out side source saying how crap some thing is, or being so objectional and opinionated ... then stop bitching and build base, dont focus on puitting all of your efforts in to another resource and pulling trafic from here and then just bitching about it because that to me is just wrong.

I would like to end this non bitching thread and say that:

1 I love every one i have met in person that i have known from HoP.
2 HoP and Col videos inspired me... every entry submitted inspired me.
3 i love hop
4 i love this community
5 i wish this bitching would stop.
6 get off of your arse and do some thing about what your bitching about because your just adding to more bitchins and bitching about some thing else and it is getting right on my tits.
7 i love malcolm and i wish to thank him for all he has done not only for me but for us all.

InSpirE.... [inspire yourself to do some thing about this] wink

hug

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
pk - you've raised some valid and wonderful points, but what is the source of your angst? People are talking about getting paid to submit videos?! Where?? I don't understand where this source of negativity you speak of is.

Anyway, I'll be submitting to COL 2005 for sure! smile Old school all the way baby. smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
there was some mentioning of monkeys and ragging on the quality of col [Old link] and some more ragging on the quality of col [Old link]

im really looking forward to col 2005 i took some video last night *shakes head* soooo much work to do dang silly sticks with their minds being all naughty and non parallel like. im in search of some constructive feedback but dont want to post it on the video forum as getting constructive feedback from there is near impossible also i want my entry to be different to other stuff ive posted so ppl see something new when they watch it (assuming it gets on) soooooooo any takers? note im only interested in constructive criticism not praise, largely relating to flow of moves, smoothness of transition, what just looks stoopid and ugly like (some of it really does) whats being done to slow whats being done to fast, yadda yadda alot of it i can see i just want an objective opinion smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Pk hug

When I read the original moaning post about col and the prizes I was a bit shocked at how rude it sounded. Malcolm never had to start Col or offer prizes, heck he didn't even have to start up the Hop community, but I for one am happy he did. I'm a newcomer to Hop and don't know what it was like when it was smaller. All I can comment on is how I've found it since I joined. I've found, in the main, that people are friendly and very giving. People are willing to give up their time to post replies to questions for help and they give encouragement to others in the community not just on matters of spinning but with all aspects of life. I'm very glad I found this place. In every group of people you will find some that are out to either cause trouble or create a stir. Hop thankfully has relatively few. I know there are some debates that go on about spinning styles and whats considered good spinning and whats not but as long as that never gets personal I think its all good. It gets people thinking about how and why they spin.

I personally spin for fun. I'm not technically perfect and I don't know many moves.... and in truth I don't care. I like learning new moves but if I was never to learn another new move again, I would still spin. I just love the movement and the sense of centering it gives me. Some people strive to be perfect in the plains they spin in and such and I think thats cool too. Whatever floats your boat.

I've found the whole of Hop (the site and the community) inspires me and the col videos are just another part of that inspiration. Long may it continue!

Thank you Malcolm and the team for the time and effort you put into making Hop what it is.

p.s. Ben I would offer to help you but you probably need someone who has some knowledge of staff spinning and I don't. I'm quite willing to give you a lay-persons point of view if you want it. I can tell you if your hair looks nice or if your costume needs some added sparkle! ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I don't understand where this source of negativity you speak of is.

I have to agree with this one. And being involved with COL I am feeling a little bit shocked about the ongoing rants and changes?!? If its for the price - I can give it back (except for 2x2feet of one inch firerope given away to an auction at a Tsunami Relief, a pair of Monkeyfists [lighted yesterday for the first time, fullmoon in the middle of two high power BUBBLEmachines] and about 20 GLowsticks). I am serious!

Written by:

I'm a newcomer to Hop and don't know what it was like when it was smaller

I definitely missed the train biggrin

PK, you have been one of my biggest inspirations and seeing that our attitudes are similar in these things makes me a happy spinner weavesmiley. And as a way to pay you back Ill gonna send you the HOP stuff. Mostly kevlar wick. Where shall I send you the box? (I am still serious - and please take those most evelish Beamingballs asap. It should make you think when you consider the fact that HOP was build on the most pain inflicting Poi-constructions ever build eek wink hug)

grouphug

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
OFF TOPIC.

Andy: IF your serious and that is what you want to do, i have a better idea! the pass on a good deed, you know last month i GAVE AWAY all of my fire equipment, juggling clubs, balls and sold my aerotechs, I have a box of brand new poitoy 14 sets in total and im slowly giving them out one by one to people that want me to teach them... i ask nothing from anyt one, if i see some one i think i can help then i make them an offer of a gift.
So Mr Andy hug the feeling is mutual, i love your spinning and your style but to inspire me further you have told me of giving things away to tsunami reflief etc... so if you wish to pass on equipment to this "old school relic" who is about to brush off the cobwebs of his poi. Give them to a complete newb!!! [or keep em]

TOPIC!

I was actually called last night at 1 am to see if i had read every thing that was going on under the col threads, to bew honest i never read in here, but this morning i did and i felt inside very horrified.
For a while all the talk of tech versus old school is so off putting there is a huge element of competitivness now on the boards and it sucks.
How many old schoolers post in tech?.... i know i dont, how many old schoolers post in poi moves?. other than do say " do a durbs" which is another irritating thing that gets on my nerves.... dont tell them to search!!!!!!!! help them that way they see you asa friend.... Flid is a typical example of one word replies with "search". How constructive is that word? not at all.

Newbs = the next generations of Col+
They will buy Col with not much expectation from it, but they will be inspired even if the conent is not quite what some of the old schoolers expect from it but to them it is AWSOME!

I want to see malcolm produce more and more videos each time they get better and better.

hug

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: pk ....:™

Newbs = the next generations of Col+

They will buy Col with not much expectation from it, but they will be inspired even if the conent is not quite what some of the old schoolers expect from it but to them it is AWSOME!

I was going to post this.. not knowing about techy stuff (literally, I don't know all the free lessons yet) I still find each COL to be utterly amazing. I really liked 5, and 4.. haven't seen 3.. but meh. I know that there are probably people out there doing more advanced, weird of technically brilliant stuff but for your average non-tech spinner COL represents something very exciting, something which gives you new ideas, which you can put on in your living room and keep on repeat for a day, and come out a better spinner without even practising because of the amazing ideas.

I really like the fact that loads is fire, as I can follow what's going on better. The glow ones look good but they're impossible to learn from, often.

I think this aspect gets overlooked by people who have easy access to video downloading from sites like this.. COL is a creative lifeline to beginners like me.

I certainly don't feel that any criticism of malcom or the community is appropriate. It's a competition, there are different entries every year. You shouldn't just expect it to keep getting better and better - fire sisters, for example, on COL4 are better to me than anything on COL5 (no offence to anyone), but that doesn't mean that COL5 isn't just as valid or should be complained about. How does that make all the people who tried their hardest and spend hours practising routines etc to get on it feel? I just think that if they're not up to your "standards" then maybe you should consider whether COL is really being aimed at you. Tech yes - there is a lot of it in this community. But there are also a lot of people who've only known about poi for a few months, a few weeks..

Getting the COL2 and AoP DVD is the single most important reason I stuck at poi, because I was so impressed. There is no spinning community where I come from, except from the one that sprung up after that DVD arrived. We'd never seen anything like it - a couple of people at uni doing a 3bt, making us buy poi and order the DVD.. couldn't have prepared us for how amaaing that DVD was. And the standard of COL5 next to COL2 is staggering. To keep expecting more and more when it's not (just) the same people, year after year is unrealistic - it seems like that's arguing for only allowing one set of people to be on the DVDs so they get better and better. Where does that leave people like me? Have I missed the boat because there will always be people who've been spinning for 10 years more than me, who are better and more technical?

I don't think it should be that way. And by the way, because we've seen fire a lot before, does that mean that it's less valuable? Less inspirational? Personally I'm not watching it for the aesthetics, like a music video or something, but for the moves, the styles, the routines, the ideas.

I was shocked to read some of the posts because I found them to be really disheartening to someone like me who was considering submitting because I thought "oh well, probably won't get on but it's a bit of fun and an open-minded community". And I think the vast majority here are encouraging, helpful, kind and enthusiastic spinners, don't get me wrong. I was just really surprised to see things so out-of-character with this community being posted. I'm not a pro fire-performer, as the majority of people here aren't, so I'm never going to reach the levels of technical excellence some will. But I don't think that should be a reason to exclude me from the whole concept, even if I do realise my vids won't be good enough to get on.

But hey ho.
EDITED_BY: nearly_all_gone (1109422413)

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
PK

hug

Jo. smile

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
from that comment jo, i think i know exactly where you are coming from and for what you are hugging me for!.

Jo .... you inspire me.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I remember most of all the love and light we all shared.
It is a shame that also to share this love still we have to use MSN or yahoo to keep in touch we every one on HoP was lovely and friendly.... and iccle.... now its BIG and nasty.

oh and jo "col2005"??? you in?

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
hug

HELLLLLLL YEAH!

Thinking of calling mine

'1-2 beats' wink

Jo. smile

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
"nice" title.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
smile
but frown

reply at length when have more time.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ben- please don't link to my threads about "COL" complaints like PK was mentioning.
I wasn't bitching. I pointed out things that would make entries better.
I explained that what I saw was awesome and that I think Malcolm did a great job.

If all you saw was negativity, it is because that is all you wanted to see.

As for the COL series, I have to agree that I think each has been a landmark in it's own way. I think that each has really been a yearbook for HoP. The "freshman" have been shown joyfully displaying their new found hobby while the "old skool" have been showcased to inspire the newbies.

They are also fun to watch because Malcolm has learned alot about video production over the years...to watch COL1 and COL5, what a difference five years makes! lol wink

From the Xaeda's and Roberts (early COL's) to the Hannah's (COL 5) I have watched captivated...just to see where we are going.

I like that the contest has been removed. I like that no money will be changing hands for submissions. Then it becomes a true showcase of passion, the difference between those who love what they do and those who do it for money.

PK, I see no need in closing down PIP. It too serves it purpose. While the sentiment is wonderfully moving, there is a place for everything, without competition, I feel.

Something to keep in mind, that I think people lose sight of, is that without HoP there would most likely be no other poi websites, or really this phenominan as widespread as it is.
How many people have come to poi over the years as they tripped across this website searching for something completely different?
How many people have been inspired by HoP to start their own websites, info sites, spinning groups?

I truly feel that HoP has played an important and integral part in the ever changing and growing poi community being what it is today. I have watched other sites start up and fail over the years. I have seen posers come and go, but this one...well, none can compare.

Thanks PK. Love to you brotha! ubblove

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
thanks for the insight there pele, i'm anxious to read what robs input will be.

there is most definate the need to focus back on the roots of where we all came from, even if some of us still run out own sites.

Id just like to say that i would with out a doubt continue to show my support here and what malcolm does.

I need to get myself a copy of col5... to see what it is like, i havnt seen any poi videos, not even downloaded any for such a long time now.

not really my cup of tea but im going to bruush of the cobwebs for sure.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pele

Ben- please don't link to my threads about "COL" complaints like PK was mentioning.
I wasn't bitching. I pointed out things that would make entries better.
I explained that what I saw was awesome and that I think Malcolm did a great job.

original comment

All this talk of being paid for submitting entries wrong!. you dont like it then you dont submit!. simple.

There is so much negativity around right now in many areas of discussion, technical versus old school twirlers.. etc, Col being crap and not what you expected

the question
Written by: flash fire

but what is the source of your angst? People are talking about getting paid to submit videos?! Where??

"I am extremely disappointed with it."
"yeah I was disapointed with it too. I'm glad I didn't pay for it "
"as a viewer it is not only frustrating it is annoying. There are many videos on there I did not watch"

these are comments about dissapointment in the quality the other link had stuff about getting paid to be on col

If all you saw was negativity, it is because that is all you wanted to see.

"The level of spinning, from what I could see, was quality. I am impressed to see how far it has come from COL1, without the same people submitting. I enjoyed what I could actually see."
"Actually a couple of the songs I want copies of."

positive comments yep i saw em, it doesnt change that the thread was one recent thread that had comments with complaints about col not being what was expected.

if all you saw was a personal criticism then it is because that is all you wanted to see

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
pele, wanna tandem video?? ;-)

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
*small voice from peanut gallery* Be cool, we're all cool.

I've seen bitching, and I've seen negativity-- I frequent quite a few forums, from smaller than this to much bigger, and the all-out trolling and flamewars and bannings that happen in both every day make this place look like a meek little tea party. Heck, a couple years back the people that ran one of those sites had a big split and some put up an actively competing site of their own, and there's still political fallout from it now. But even with all that, the community is actually very helpful, supportive, welcoming, and has a powerful base of cohesive, fantastic people.

I just got here, but from what I can tell around HoP there have been some rumblings and mild disgruntlement-- but those are inevitable as a community grows, and people are always a little finicky and snitty about contests and commercial websites (most commercial websites totally FREAK if you even hint at any other sites, which as you can imagine creates a lot of resentment). If anything I'm actually pretty impressed that the community is the size it is and still so polite and nice. It's a GOOD sign that people are being open about what disappoints them, and that it's being discussed intelligently, with plenty of folks pointing out that they don't mean to make a big fuss. There don't really seem to be big personal grudges or wars. So far I've only come across one thread in the archives that had any truly bitter vitriol in it, and that was a couple years old.

You guys have a good thing going here, it's a privelege to have found it, and good luck with all of it! I'm glad the COLs are continuing, making them non-competitive was a good move, and I hope some economical, feasible way is found to keep making them better. Don't get discouraged!

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I am practically inspired to send something in despite my major suckage.

After all, who knows? wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:

pele, wanna tandem video?? ;-)

I'm not worthy...but I'd tandem with you anytime! wink ubblove

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I am practically inspired to send something in despite my major suckage.

Kael

I second that, im in.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

I'm not worthy...but I'd tandem with you anytime! wink ubblove

would i ask if i thought you wernt worthy?... does that mean im socially higher than other people? confused

my poi sucks. eek

my silence has been broken frown *back to studies*

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
ubblove pk

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Written by: fluffy napalm fairy

ubblove pk

hug help me find my poi.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I hope you will be entering, jo and pk, your styles have always inspired me hug

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
im already there, and complete with squirels...

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by: PK

flid is a typical example of one word replies with "search". How constructive is that word? not at all

I generally post a sentence, instead of just one word. I personally think it's far more constructive to have good meaningful trheads to help newbies, than thousands of threads with one or 2 replies to questions like "I've searched everywhere and can't find any info on the 3 beat weave".

Generally speaking if I make a post telling someone to search it's because I think in their case they are being lazy, esp if i look at their profile and see that all of the 10 posts they've ever made have been short questions asked many times before/talked about on this site's articles (there's more to HoP than this board).

I also report each thread in question where I do this, and a lot end up deleted. It's in the board rules (and pretty much ever large board/mailing list i've come across) to search for things before posting a new thread.

Whilst we're talking about negitivity, you're welcome to PM me about it if you disagree, I always find it more constructive than slagging people off in threads they haven't even posted in.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
was just a general point, not slagging any one off! as i stated it was not a bitching thread... it doesnt materr if you havnt posted in here or not thats not the topic!
The topic is to inspire others in this community and i have a valid point about the way some times some of the older more wiser generations fall up.
And i dont disagree with any of your post, critisism is very much welcome and im sorry if you feel singled out in any way form that post in question. you do a good job around here.

Back on topic.*

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Written by: DJ Dantana

I hope you will be entering, jo and pk, your styles have always inspired me hug

ditto

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."