Absinthenewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Ok, i'm going to say the one thing i really hate saying, i'm a n00b! eek
Anyway, i'm going to be purchasing my first ever fire staff soon, and i basically want to know everything i can! So can you tell me tips, tricks, moves, and can someone explain the arms wrapping thing to me?
Yes, i don't particularly want to burn myself to a crisp! I'd also really like to hear about all of your experiences with, fire, especially your first, good or bad! biggrin I'd just like as much help as is possible!
Thanks,

Alexa

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder...

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Well hello and welcome firstly!!!!!!
good choice goin for staff btw, for stuff to do with it go to the staff forum, ok where to get a staff, the general concensus(sp) is to find the lenght you like first (broom handle with tennis balls on the end) to get used to it all, then either a staff from here, www.firetoys.com they are a lil expensive, or look for bluecat and get a te pooka staff, or maybe build your own.

good luck, be warned its ovely addictive!!!!!! biggrin

Lava

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
As for the moves, tips etc, look a bit harder tongue wink

ie the link at the top of the page to https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/staff_lessons.php?lesson=1

And the search thingy in the corner to about 49000 pages, amongst which you're bound to find all you need.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
oh try ado-p's contact thread when you get in to contact, check out the videos thread, or ask in the staff forum, videos you want mainly for insperation would be those by bluecat, ben-ja-men, mcp, check the videos from huish and around thread (shamless self plugging) oh this site might help as well https://void.printf.net/~meghan/#reverse

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ok so for starts

i dont like any of the staffs in shops at the mo, so i make my own, and i suggest thats what you do as well, or at least ask a staff maker to make you a custom one, i would suggest one by blue cat or strugz they both make good staffs, i also make staffs but its hard to trumpet you own gear to someone...

i think you might find the hop staff lessons good, it will teach you the basics

but if you wnat to learn contact staff, which most of the uk people do alsongside normal staff moves, then i would check out this [Old link]

it was made by a guy in syd, Oz who started to learn contact really well off hop and did it on his own, a bloody good guy to...

best thing is to get out and get to some meets, with poeple who would be able to show you some moves and some staffs

if you do buy a staff from a shop, dont order one off the net, go into a shop and pick up a few, test weights, see what size you like, and get a feel for what you think is right

the normal rule of thumb is to buy a staff 1 foot shorter than you are.

any more question sgive us a hollor

Step (el-nombrie)

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

Hi Absinthe.

I drink you on a regular basis.
You are tasty and strong and get me drunk.

Heres a little poem about you.

For my love of Absinthe........ uummmm... what rhymes with absinthe?

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight